Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:03:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Phil Cornwell

Started by Rizla, September 12, 2020, 11:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinner777

Quote from: Rizla on September 13, 2020, 02:18:39 PM
And we haven't even mentioned the criminally underrated world of pub. Pretty much my comedy dream team in that.

loved world of pub

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: petrilTanaka on September 13, 2020, 08:38:09 PM
for an 80s and 90s kid like me, Thursday and Friday were *the* nights for yer comedy. Thursday the big hitters, Friday the more niche or avant garde ideas, peppered with repeats.

Ditto.

Mid 00s it was definitely Mondays - distinctly remember discovering Look Around You, which was on straight after that Bruce Parry thing.  BBC1 simultaneously got in on the Monday act as well, but with "premium" (shit) shows - the awful The Crouches, and Men Behaving Badly (which I never liked but I know remains very popular).

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I saw the thread title and thought he'd either died or been accused of perversion. Fuck's sake.

Brundle-Fly

Rizla

Quote from: Virgo76 on September 13, 2020, 07:19:16 PM
Great cast. Awful show though surely?
Having not seen them for a few years. I've just finished rewatching them all on YouTube this very evening and they're better than I remember if anything. On YT, some episodes have a laugh track and some don't, prefer them without I must say. Fairly certain it wasn't filmed before an audience. The cast is superb though, Geoff McGivern and Martin Trenamen particularly fine.

Menu

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 13, 2020, 01:53:15 PM
On BBC2 though?

Prime Time is an American term to determine the time when advertisers will pay the most money. That's generally the same for all channels. That is, after dinner but before bed. I guess it would be different on sports channels but for non-sports channels it's pretty fixed. Obviously there's no advertising on BBC but they still feel obligated to compete.

Virgo76

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 14, 2020, 12:25:07 AM
Naa, it was great.

I take it all back. I must have seen a bad episode.

Jake Thingray

The ep with Tamsin Greig as a visiting film star was rather pleasant.

Ornlu

The Dead Ringers skit that features a big-budget Hollywood remake of Trumpton, where he's playing Jack Nicholson as the Mayor:

"Someone get my goddamn hat out of that goddamn tree."

DeGrise

Gilbert's Fridge.

You can't talk about Phil Cornwell without worshiping it.

DrGreggles

Gilbert's Fridge (and Gilbert generally) was must-watch TV when I was about 13.

Incidentally, there's a sign post near me that tells me exactly how far it is to Hitchin.

DeGrise

But how far is it to Hitchin?

You can't keep the answer to one of the world's oldest riddles to yourself.

petril

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 13, 2020, 09:35:40 PM
Ditto.

Mid 00s it was definitely Mondays - distinctly remember discovering Look Around You, which was on straight after that Bruce Parry thing.  BBC1 simultaneously got in on the Monday act as well, but with "premium" (shit) shows - the awful The Crouches, and Men Behaving Badly (which I never liked but I know remains very popular).

yeah, I remember the shift from the cosy warm childhood world being marked by Monday and Sunday being pushed as comedy nights, which is all wrong. Sunday is acceptance of the ending weekend, get ready for the weekday routine again, and Monday is just being tired and cosy from the adjustment back.

Monday was always a strange one. I had a definite mood with Mondays. All back to routine and the news and serious programmes ended up being serious official stuff like current affairs and consumer stuff. Entertainment had to be unchallenging. And you had so many attempts at Sport But Serious Intelligent Discussion Maybe? type things that got flung out and always failed. Or just the Day Today and satirise what I saw as most Monday Telly. If Monday was comedy, it had to be either Newsy Satire, or something cosy and routine-ish just to get through to the earned first sleep of the week. At least to me. Mondays were a day for just being busy and getting ahead of the workload, mentally

DrGreggles

Quote from: DeGrise on September 14, 2020, 12:16:50 PM

About 30 miles.

Never been there though, so I don't miss it.

Panbaams

A huge Tottenham fan. For a few years he used to co-host a Spurs podcast, which once featured a heartwarming story from Paul Whitehouse's childhood.

"Nice darts."

Rizla

Quote from: DeGrise on September 14, 2020, 09:56:56 AM
Gilbert's Fridge.

You can't talk about Phil Cornwell without worshiping it.
Fair point, it completely passed me by at the time though. Or, more to the point, due to being an appallingly pretentious little 12 year old prick from a staunch BBC household (tbf we didn't get very good ITV reception in our house back then) I would have probably found it beneath me.  Watching some of it now, fucking hell. It's amazing!

Shit Good Nose

Get Fresh remains the greatest Saturday morning kids show in my opinion, and not just because of Gilbert.  Aswad, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Swing Out Sister, Magnum and Alan Moore on a kids breakfast show?  And an alien voiced and puppeteered by an adult comedian with complete free reign to improvise????

Yeah, okay, Going Live had Trevor and Simon, but that was about it.

Skin up Drummie!

kngen

Quote from: non capisco on September 13, 2020, 12:05:49 AM
Bowie: "Hello, Michael, do you like my new foundation? Makes me look a bit butteryyyyy".

Buxton's Bowie is more accurate but I still love Cornwell's interpretation. "Wow, Mum! These cheese sticks taste cheeeseyyy!"

His reaction to Mick finding his spiritual side is my go-to Bowie impression: 'I've been searching for yeeeeeerssss!'

His cartoony exaggerations are a hundred times more entertaining than the dull yet admirable accuracy of the likes of Roy Bremner.

Famous Mortimer

This bit from "Stella Street" (admittedly, it's not Cornwell's line) was one of those "comedy lines that become part of your friends' vocabulary" lines.

https://youtu.be/YdVUyRnU8Gw?t=210

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 15, 2020, 05:33:39 AM
This bit from "Stella Street" (admittedly, it's not Cornwell's line) was one of those "comedy lines that become part of your friends' vocabulary" lines.

https://youtu.be/YdVUyRnU8Gw?t=210

All 10 minutes of it?

Another vote for Gilbert's Fridge here.

zomgmouse

This thread has inspired me to go back and watch the rest of Stella Street which I started ages ago. It's so good!

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: SpiderChrist on September 16, 2020, 06:51:54 AM
All 10 minutes of it?
No, the bit the link I provided goes directly to.

SpiderChrist

zomgmouse

Just watched all of what I could find of Gilbert's Fridge on YouTube; someone's uploaded 5 episodes on there.
Does anyone know if there are actually 6, and if so where the 6th one could be located?

Quote from: DeGrise on September 14, 2020, 12:16:50 PM

A long way. Or maybe that's Tipperary.