Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:12:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

recommendation for a bass guitar

Started by BeardFaceMan, September 13, 2020, 06:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

I've played guitar for a while and now I'm looking to get my first bass guitar. I'm just after something cheap and playable really, I'll be plugging it into the pc to play and using amp modelling software as I don't have a physical amp. Any good makes of bass I should be looking out for that would be good for a beginner to play rock/punk type stuff, any that I should avoid etc?

Rizla

keep it simple and find a decent cheap 2nd hand squier precision or jazz if you feel fancy. dead easy to set up and make playable, timeless design, look awesome etc. get flat wound strings, they're right nice to play and don't squeak as much.

you don't see them in the wild so much these days but peavey used to be a good shout for a cheapish professional instrument. T 40, built like a tank.

I've done reasonably professional gigs with a Yamaha P that would struggle to fetch £100 on eBay. Yamaha, Peavey - those kind of brands will be great on the used market while lacking the cool of Fender. Squier VM and CV will be decent if the guitars are anything to go by.

Puce Moment

Yep, I've always used Fenders but they are heavy and a bit cumbersome (and expensive) for home recording. The advice above is good.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah I'm not going to be playing gigs or anything with it, I'm strictly a bedroom guitarist. I'll be doing some recording with it hopefully but it'll mainly end up being used to play Rocksmith, I expect.

I've been thinking of switching from guitar to bass as main instrument in order to get gigs (as well as RSI issues that mean my guitar playing might not be A game every night).

The current Mexican Fenders look absolutely dreamy, though are about £630. Tidepool blue and the metallic sage green from the last run are colours that I would buy just for the colour.

The guitars don't look as good in the same colours though.

Shit Good Nose

Knowing very very little about basses I was going to suggest a second hand Epiphone which a mate swears by (he's got five or six of them, different models), but looking on eBay now prices appear to have skyrocketed since I last looked about 10 years ago. 

ArtParrott

I recently upgraded my beginners budget bass (a Wesley jazz bass I bought for 80 quid in 2005) to a Sire Marcus Miller signature. Basically a very good fender jazz bass copy but available for at least a couple of hundred quid less than you'd get a good one of those for. Got mine for 375 second hand and I can highly recommend them - https://www.andertons.co.uk/sire-version-2-marcus-miller-v7-swamp-ash-4-string-natural-ver2v7sa4nt

PlanktonSideburns

Yamaha basses are amazing, and are dead cheap second hand for the more bland looking ones

hellvetica

I'm in the same boat and am dipping my toe in the water now. I got gifted a Peavey Midibass about ten years ago from a guy who used to play in Wolfstone who played string pads with it, but told me it needed minor repairs to do this again. Well... I broke the entire thing trying to repair it myself and it's now sat in the corner of my loft taunting me, with me occasionally picking it up only to realise how much I fucked the whole thing all over again. Unfortunately I'm too ashamed and scared to take it to someone to fix properly because of how much I mangled it (flashbacks to the bollocking I got in a guitar shop for messing with a tuss rod on a shitty Washburn strat copy, when I was 14 and trying to get them to fix my exact mistake).

https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/build/bass/g2220-junior-jet-bass-ii/2514730580

So aye, gonna buy a bass and forget the Midibass saga. Got my eye on this as I've always loved Gretsch guitars but can't allow myself to own 2 electric guitars when I suck this bad. This would scratsch the Gretsch itsch and with in being short scale hopefully won't make my proper guitar feel like a Ukele when I swap between them. Anyone have any reason not to go for it?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-amps/bass-amp-combos/orange-crush-bass-50-combo

Plan on pairing with this amp, seems too good to be true for the money and also I really like the look of Orange amps. Yes, I'm a shallow hussy for handsome gear, but also easily consumed by buyer's remorse if there's any letdowns or issues. Anyone know of any problems with this?

Also thinking on a wee mini pedalboard of a Zvex Fat Fuzz Factory, Dunlop Mini Bass Crybaby and Walrus Julia so I can make wack-a-doodle noises to make up for the fact I don't have a fucking clue what I'm doing. Any other recommendations?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: hellvetica on September 14, 2020, 01:04:14 AM
I'm in the same boat and am dipping my toe in the water now. I got gifted a Peavey Midibass about ten years ago from a guy who used to play in Wolfstone who played string pads with it, but told me it needed minor repairs to do this again. Well... I broke the entire thing trying to repair it myself and it's now sat in the corner of my loft taunting me, with me occasionally picking it up only to realise how much I fucked the whole thing all over again. Unfortunately I'm too ashamed and scared to take it to someone to fix properly because of how much I mangled it (flashbacks to the bollocking I got in a guitar shop for messing with a tuss rod on a shitty Washburn strat copy, when I was 14 and trying to get them to fix my exact mistake).

https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/build/bass/g2220-junior-jet-bass-ii/2514730580

So aye, gonna buy a bass and forget the Midibass saga. Got my eye on this as I've always loved Gretsch guitars but can't allow myself to own 2 electric guitars when I suck this bad. This would scratsch the Gretsch itsch and with in being short scale hopefully won't make my proper guitar feel like a Ukele when I swap between them. Anyone have any reason not to go for it?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-amps/bass-amp-combos/orange-crush-bass-50-combo

Plan on pairing with this amp, seems too good to be true for the money and also I really like the look of Orange amps. Yes, I'm a shallow hussy for handsome gear, but also easily consumed by buyer's remorse if there's any letdowns or issues. Anyone know of any problems with this?

Also thinking on a wee mini pedalboard of a Zvex Fat Fuzz Factory, Dunlop Mini Bass Crybaby and Walrus Julia so I can make wack-a-doodle noises to make up for the fact I don't have a fucking clue what I'm doing. Any other recommendations?

What's a short-scale bass? Does it just mean smaller as in 20 frets instead of 22 or 24 or whatever, or are the frets closer together? I always felt when playing guitar that my hands are bit small so I struggle with a lot of stretches, a guitar with a smaller scale fretboard would be great.

LORD BAD VIBE

Scale length is the distance between the bridge and the nut. 34" is standard for a bass (yer Precisions, Jazzes, etc) and short scales are usually 30". If you have small hands and are more used to guitar then I think a short scale could be for you.

There are plenty of great short scale basses out there (the Gretsch mentioned upthread is a lot of bass for the money) so take time to look around.

Bently Sheds

I tried a load of different Squier basses out at a music shop when I was looking for a bass five years ago. The one that had the nicest tone was a shortscale Jaguar, I can't remember if it was a Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe, but it was about £200.
Reader, I bought it.

The vintage modified J bass is pretty much perfect in terms of looks. I'm a sucker for the natural finish and block inlays, but I'm not sure I would want to commit for a J over a P.

Puce Moment

If you see a Musicman Stingray in any colour going for a good price let me bloody know please.

NoSleep

Get a Harley Benton from Thomann... will cost less than anything else and will surprise with its quality.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_electric_basses.html?oa=pra

Quote from: Puce Moment on September 14, 2020, 12:00:20 PM
If you see a Musicman Stingray in any colour going for a good price let me bloody know please.

I got a Stingray copy recently. Extremely funky sound.

LORD BAD VIBE

Squiers are good, I have a few myself. I've heard good things about Harley Benton gear.

Another option if you're on a budget is the Ibanez TMB30. I haven't played one myself but I've heard a lot of people really rate them. A P/J pickup arrangement will give a wide variety of tones.

One thing to note to anyone considering a short scale bass - they're not much good at drop tuning. The short scale means the string tension is very low even at standard pitch. Tuned to D, the E string on a shorty is going be flapping about too much to be of any use.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: NoSleep on September 14, 2020, 12:10:26 PM
Get a Harley Benton from Thomann... will cost less than anything else and will surprise with its quality.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_electric_basses.html?oa=pra

Now they look just the job, that's the kind of price range I'm after. Just something to begin with and if I like the instrument then I can worry about getting a proper tidy one more suited to me.

Quote from: LORD BAD VIBE on September 14, 2020, 12:24:35 PM
One thing to note to anyone considering a short scale bass - they're not much good at drop tuning. The short scale means the string tension is very low even at standard pitch. Tuned to D, the E string on a shorty is going be flapping about too much to be of any use.

You can get thicker strings to tune down though with a short scale? I tune down a lot on guitar so it would be a nice to be able to go down to C when I want to.

Flouncer

You might struggle, tuning down that low with a short scale. I think even with heavy strings on, it might get a bit boingy if you're going down a couple of tones. Best thing to do is try one out before you commit really.

NoSleep

You're getting down to frequencies where most speakers used for listening back aren't even going to hear that low on a bass guitar anyway. Even an E is going to suffer from that.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: NoSleep on September 14, 2020, 04:15:44 PM
You're getting down to frequencies where most speakers used for listening back aren't even going to hear that low on a bass guitar anyway. Even an E is going to suffer from that.

So if you take a band like Queens Of The Stone Age, say, I put thicker strings on my guitar and tune down to C to play their songs. How would I do that with a bass, what tuning would their bass be in?

Flouncer

Have you considered getting a five string? They go down to B with no need to tune down. Of course they have a wider neck to accomodate the extra string - some people dislike it, but it didn't bother me in all the years I played one as my main instrument. I don't mean to overcomplicate matters, but that is another option.

PaulTMA

Another vote for getting anything from the Classic Vibe range, they are flippin' brilliant across the board.  Bought myself a (six-string) Jaguar in the early months of lockdown for no real reason but it helped with the general cheering up required.  Might have tripped over and clicked 'buy' on a CV Bass VI a month later, second hand so incredible value for money over even the retail price.  Only anti-Squier snobs deserve to miss out.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Flouncer on September 14, 2020, 04:40:37 PM
Have you considered getting a five string? They go down to B with no need to tune down. Of course they have a wider neck to accomodate the extra string - some people dislike it, but it didn't bother me in all the years I played one as my main instrument. I don't mean to overcomplicate matters, but that is another option.

That might be an option. I have 2 guitars, one tuned to E or E flat and one tuned down to C, a five string bass would mean I didn't have to keep swapping strings to tune down. Not that I play a lot of tuned down stuff, I usually play in E flat unless I'm playing along to standard tuning stuff with Rocksmith.

Goldentony

dont get one that looks like a coffee table, you know those mid 90s london/bristol acid funk basses with big long weird arms and small bodies? god awful, go with Squier/Fender or an Explorer.

NoSleep

Randomly listening to a couple of Queens of The Stone Age track didn't yield anything lower than the normal E. Their music just eschews the conventional jangly brightness (kind of intentional muffled sound).

A 5 string isn't going to help much for those lowest notes either as it's their frequency that isn't going to come through (although it will be useful for playing mostly up the higher end of the fretboard so you don't need to stretch your fingers as much, so is kind of like having an extended range short scale bass, I guess). A low E is around 41Hz and even that is below most speakers' range. All you can hear is harmonics suggesting the pitch of the low notes without the actual oomph. Most drop tuned music doesn't depend on dominant low bass guitar anyway; as was regularly joked in Metalocalypse you can barely hear the bass player, if at all, in much metal.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: NoSleep on September 14, 2020, 05:52:21 PM
Randomly listening to a couple of Queens of The Stone Age track didn't yield anything lower than the normal E. Their music just eschews the conventional jangly brightness (kind of intentional muffled sound).

I think they might play some stuff in normal tuning on their newer albums, but their early stuff the guitar is tuned down to C. So what do hardcore or metal bands that tune down to C with their guitars do with their bass? Are they playing it in standard tuning?

NoSleep

I didn't hear any drop tunings on the couple of tracks I heard (from over 10 years ago, I think).

BeardFaceMan

I think that's around the time they started playing in normal tuning more as Josh started singing higher. Try Mexicola or No One Knows.

NoSleep

Avon: The bass could all be done on an a standard 4-string tuned conventionally, he's even playing a lot on the D & G string several frets up the fingerboard, so not even low for standard tuning.

No One Knows: drop down to C, but as I said it's only harmonics of the full timbre you're hearing, not the fundamental low C (33Hz!). You're basically only hearing the "twang" of a note that low, albeit a growly twang, like a child trying to sing a low note; none of the thump. He often rises up from that low pitch when emphasis in the bass is needed.