Author Topic: recommendation for a bass guitar  (Read 682 times)

Re: recommendation for a bass guitar
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2020, 06:36:45 PM »
we play in A, C, A and B and don't really change much about anything , but then we're a noise band so everything sounds shit

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2020, 06:41:01 PM »
Agree on the fender classic vibe range or Yamaha. I also have a Japanese fender 70's Precision as well which is really nice, better than the Mexican stuff (I had a mexican fender that got stolen, but before that the bridge was an absolute piece of shit and i had to replace it). Squire I have heard both excellent and bad things. Would suggest get a cheap bass and then upgrade the pickups down the line if you want it to sound a bit nicer.

BeardFaceMan

• Safely ensconced on top of the bathroom cabinet
    • mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2020, 06:49:13 PM »
Avon: The bass could all be done on an a standard 4-string tuned conventionally, he's even playing a lot on the D & G string several frets up the fingerboard, so not even low for standard tuning.

No One Knows: drop down to C, but as I said it's only harmonics of the full timbre you're hearing, not the fundamental low C (33Hz!). You're basically only hearing the "twang" of a note that low, albeit a growly twang, like a child trying to sing a low note; none of the thump. He often rises up from that low pitch when emphasis in the bass is needed.

Heh sorry to keep going on, but what about Mexicola? That has a nice, clear bass intro and when I go and look up tabs for it, it says the bass is tuned to C F Bb Eb.

NoSleep

• This is your Uncle Jim speaking
    • Space Is The Place
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2020, 07:11:51 PM »
Low but twangy again; the higher frequencies from overtones are what you are hearing mostly.

BeardFaceMan

• Safely ensconced on top of the bathroom cabinet
    • mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2020, 08:09:26 PM »
Ok, I think I get you. Like with Korn, who tune down to A, there's no low end noise coming from the bass guitar, it's all twang?

NoSleep

• Space Is The Place
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2020, 08:19:54 PM »
And adding distortion to bring out those overtones. Bit like a singer adding rasp or growl to their voice to give it more presence. It still gives you the sense of a really low note even though the fundamental frequency is likely inaudible.

PlanktonSideburns

• putting the 'rimmage' back in pilgrimage
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2020, 08:21:43 PM »
I think they might play some stuff in normal tuning on their newer albums, but their early stuff the guitar is tuned down to C. So what do hardcore or metal bands that tune down to C with their guitars do with their bass? Are they playing it in standard tuning?

I've got a normal bass that's tuned BEAD for that kinda stuff, if your mostly in downtune town that can be an option

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2020, 02:59:36 PM »
Ok, I think I get you. Like with Korn, who tune down to A, there's no low end noise coming from the bass guitar, it's all twang?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94p5N0OGoHM

NoSleep

• Space Is The Place
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2020, 03:48:11 PM »
I've got a normal bass that's tuned BEAD for that kinda stuff, if your mostly in downtune town that can be an option

Looking into this a bit further, you could probably find speakers for a bass cab that just about reach down a low C (30Hz-ish), so the best way to experience that sound would be to see that bass player in a live situation.

Having one of those hifi subwoofer setups would probably assist listening to recordings a bit, too. I'm not sure whether it's common to go to the lengths of having an 18" sub woofer to reproduce sounds down at that frequency.

It's probably more common to create "fake" bass using plugins like Waves MaxBass or RBass that actually create an illusion of lower frequencies that can even be heard on smaller speakers.

Tags: