Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:31:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Supersister.

Started by Absorb the anus burn, September 13, 2020, 10:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Absorb the anus burn

Supersister.

The Dutch prog rock band that refreshes the parts Finch, Focus and Golden Earring can't reach.

Not heard of them...? Karen Carpenter certainly had!

Supersister owed a significant debt to Frank Zappa and the Canterbury scene bands (Caravan / Soft Machine / Gong) but created their own sonic universe with herky jerky percussion, chugging organ patterns and melodic flute. Here are a couple of their whacked-out singles that demonstrate their bizarre humour and druggy perspective -

Radio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGMrgRv-HKA

No Tree Will Grow (On Too High A Mountain):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z85wDZKIfsM

By 1974, the band had recorded four fantastic albums - prog rock catnip full of unexpected key and tempo changes.  Present From Nancy and To The Highe$t Bidder are the places to start with stellar song-writing from Sacha van Geest (vocals / flute) and Robert-Jan Stips (keyboards / vocals). It was all looking good for Supersister. John Peel was a fan, the band were hitting the European charts and playing to larger audiences... Only they suddenly fell apart, losing two original members back to back and over egging the Supersister Pudding with a bizarre concept LP about schizophrenia. They even changed their name back to Sweet Okay Supersister, originally used when the members were still at school.

If you have time for long hyperactive progressive suites, then give them a shot... Without a doubt one of the most interesting and exciting bands to hail from the Netherlands.

BlodwynPig

2nd tier threatening top tier, a bit like Kayak from Finland or Greenslade. Golden Earring did soar higher though, I would say, especially on Eight Miles High and their self-titled LP. I'm not so well-versed with Supersister having downloaded their catalogue quite late on (about 8 years ago) and listening to it all once or twice since (mostly heard single tracks on prog compilations). Probably give them another listen thank to this thread.

Absorb the anus burn