Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:11:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"The Duchess", Katherine Ryan thing on Netflix

Started by bushwick, September 14, 2020, 08:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushwick

Saw the first of these last night. KR plays a fictional version of herself as an Outrageous Bad Mom with a precocious daughter (who is more mature and sensible than her ma), an ex-partner who used to be in a boy band and a long-suffering "nice guy" boyfriend. She wrote and created the whole thing as a kinda Gervaisian extension of her comedy persona, her dialogue is basically her stand up material repurposed

Anyone seen this? Have been a mild fan of her standup stuff but by God this is bad. Many parallels with After Life. It's been getting mixed reviews - really clunky, badly written, poorly acted (girl who plays her daughter is quite good though), tonally all over the place. Ryan isn't a good enough actor to sell any of it - might have worked with a different lead or at least some more writers, but the whole thing seems like an ill-advised ego trip really. Might be worth persevering with for the cringe value, I dunno.

BlodwynPig

It's Katherine Ryan being Katherine Ryan, how good could it realistically be?

Placatory bingo "the child actor is quite good though"

Jake Thingray

Perhaps she'll become the 21st century distaff version of this, if she's not already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX-skIqoep4

bushwick

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 14, 2020, 08:08:35 AM
It's Katherine Ryan being Katherine Ryan, how good could it realistically be?

Placatory bingo "the child actor is quite good though"

lol, true dat, however this may be singulary bad and ill-advised enough to be worth watching all the way through, a genuine "career misstep", not seen anything this bad for a while, it's notable.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bushwick on September 14, 2020, 08:23:05 AM
lol, true dat, however this may be singulary bad and ill-advised enough to be worth watching all the way through, a genuine "career misstep", not seen anything this bad for a while, it's notable.

to be fair, I saw the trailer and watched until the end, not at all the thing I watch but it didn't look horrendous, a 3/10 Meet the Braithwaites.

dissolute ocelot

Surprised this isn't on Comedy Central, which seems the UK's source for all mediocre Katherine Ryan material. Has she been offered a ton of money, or is this her attempt at international stardom?

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 14, 2020, 08:48:15 AM
Surprised this isn't on Comedy Central, which seems the UK's source for all mediocre Katherine Ryan material. Has she been offered a ton of money, or is this her attempt at international stardom?

I wouldn't be surprised if after the (unfortunate) huge success of After Life, Netflix might offer every comedian with a half-baked sitcom idea a series order just to see if they can get a similar audience crossover.

I like her stand-up, but the material and her persona are an awkward fit for a sitcom. I assume she was approached with the offer of doing one. Just like Diane Morgan's bad sitcom, I'm not going to watch past the first episode, because I like her.