Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:52:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sausage & egg McBacon

Started by touchingcloth, September 14, 2020, 01:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizla

Scotmid do an own-brand one for a quid, saved my "bacon" a few times!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: H-O-W-L on September 14, 2020, 11:15:57 PM
Really fucking wish those Simon Howie/Malcolm Allan packs were down south here to be honest. They look great as a Friday afternoon purchase as a Saturday morning (afternoon) hangover recovery device. Like a video game health kit made entirely of colonically destructive meat silage. Fucking gorgeous.

I believe you can actually buy the components to the breakfast pack separately and then combine them yourself, if you're feeling brave. Apart from the lorne sausage, which isn't seen much in England, although you could maybe take a hammer to a regular sausage to achieve much the same result.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 14, 2020, 01:44:22 PM
They're usually pretty good at understanding neanderthal, I once ordered a 'chocolate big mac' and got the big mac meal with chocolate shake I was after.

A result of the clientele. I've only ever been in there completely banjoed drunk, and still managed to come away with a burger and some chips for a few quid. All hail the touch screens.

Rizla

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 14, 2020, 11:57:31 PM
I believe you can actually buy the components to the breakfast pack separately and then combine them yourself, if you're feeling brave. Apart from the lorne sausage, which isn't seen much in England, although you could maybe take a hammer to a regular sausage to achieve much the same result.
The Lorne sausage is a mixture of pork and beef, with an emphasis on beef, heavily cut with rusk and seasoned with white pepper.
These are actually ok -

Dex Sawash

Was he possibility a german and wanted sausage and egg mit bacon?

Jittlebags

The best breakfast I ever had was on the ferry to Arran. There seems to be a linear relationship between duration of voyage and food quality on Caledonian Mc Brayne ferries. I seem to recall ferry to Cumbrae was some soup in a plastic cup, ferry to Bute was a bacon sandwich, ferry to Arran was full breakfast, including 'normal' sausage plus Lorne sausage. Shame there was fuck all in Arran when I got there - joke. Lots of stuff there, distillery, barium mine and last but not least, the fault that demarks Lowland from Highland Scotland.

touchingcloth

Is lorne sausage the one from SNL?

pancreas

I would like to contribute to this thread. I could probably inveigh against people for having dogmatic discussions about McDonalds, as if its produce were any better than a warm cowpat—and that they don't accept that it is moot as what any given cowpat is called. In other words, many seem to be under the delusion that there is any point in establishing what dimensions or names your cow pat has. You shouldn't want to eat it.

But the problem is, and I'm happy to admit it, that I don't really understand what's going on in the thread.

shiftwork2

I was in Epsom McShitbags many years ago and ordered a quarter pounder with cheese.  'Couple of teas?' He replied.  I mumble terribly but this Two Ronnie real life excursion was enough to make me burst out laughing.

Quote from: Jittlebags on September 14, 2020, 10:39:27 PM
Wots wot in Maccie Ds these days anyway? Not been in one for 6 months. They upgraded our local joint to have huge touchscreens a year ago, that the local scrotes can these days, presumably slather (or shed, as I believe the technical term for spunking virus all over the place is) their Covids over while ordering. Do they have a Johnny 3 stars (responsible job) standing next to the touchscreens with a bucket of Cilit Bang to disinfect them (the screens, not the scrotes, although that could be an optio0n), or do you order manually through a 2" sheet of perspex from a bloke with a motorbike visor strapped to his head?

You order from the kiosk and collect from the perspex-armoured counter or have it brought to your table if you're eating in. I've not seen them clean it, but I'd not trust them to do it properly anyway. They've closed off every other table for social distancing, but scrotes just chuck the signs on the floor and the staff just put up with it because they don't want to get beaten to fuck.

You can also order from the app. You put your order in at home and then the GPS lets them know when you're nearby so they start making it. That way you can go almost entirely contact free apart from touching the bag or beating up the staff (see above).

Also, as they are running a limited menu due to distancing in the kitchen, they've gotten rid of their veggie options and introduced two new low-effort burgers; A triple cheeseburger and a double quarterpounder. It's almost like a ransom letter to the scientists developing vaccines. The longer you take, the more beef we'll add.

touchingcloth

Quote from: pancreas on September 15, 2020, 07:18:22 AM
I would like to contribute to this thread. I could probably inveigh against people for having dogmatic discussions about McDonalds, as if its produce were any better than a warm cowpat—and that they don't accept that it is moot as what any given cowpat is called. In other words, many seem to be under the delusion that there is any point in establishing what dimensions or names your cow pat has. You shouldn't want to eat it.

But the problem is, and I'm happy to admit it, that I don't really understand what's going on in the thread.

I'll try and do a wine analogy.

Imagine you have three wines which are used in blends: Cabernet, Merlot, Tempranillo. Imagine also that you have two common blends of these wines - Cabernet-Merlot and Merlot-Tempranillo - but that for whatever reason no one has ever tried a blend of all three - the Cabernet-Merlot-Tempranillo. It doesn't exist, not because it couldn't exist, it's just something which hasn't been tried.

The Merlot can be seen as the egg in this analogy, and the other two grapes are the sausage and the bacon, it doesn't matter which way around.

Imagine now that someone asks you for a Cabernet-Merlot-Tempranillo. You'd be confused, wouldn't you? But you'd probably say "Sorry, do you mean Cabernet-Merlot, or Merlot-Tempranillo? A blend of all three doesn't exist, to the best of my knowledge." With a bit of politeness and goodwill we can assume that an acceptable wine will be served and both sides will be, if not delighted, then reasonably content.

Now imagine the same request, except you don't speak English and live in a country where the words for Cabernet, Merlot and Tempranillo are different. And now imagine the same request being shouted at you by a man from Essex: CABERNET MERLOT TEMPRANILLO. You'd have all of your same confusion as in the previous scenario, but compounded by the fact that you might not quite catch the words being used to be able to allow you to quickly form your polite clarification. And while the cigs of your mind are working he shouts his order again CABERNET MERLOT TEMPRANILLO.

And now imagine he throws the word "Mc" in there for no reason. CABERNET MERLOT McTEMPRANILLO MATE I SAID COULD I GET CABERNET MERLOT McTEMPRANILLO.

What would your thoughts be?

Reminds me of my local Chinese where some jambon come in demanding 'Three Singapore'. The more she asked what he meant, the louder the demands for THREE SINGAPORE got. It was a lot like Uncle Peter in the bread shop. I want an egg fried rice, THREE SINGAPORE, and some wonton over there.

https://youtu.be/oysoioL6ZmY

I'm just sad I wasn't about for the complaint when he got the wrong thing.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Rizla on September 15, 2020, 12:56:14 AM

The grim 'brown sauce' aftertaste ruined these for me, which is a shame as they promised so much. The Mackies crisps in general are very good, crisp integrity, flavouring and quality are of a very high standard.

Sebastian Cobb

Back when walkers were having that competition for people to submit flavours and some fry up stuff one, the landlord of the pub I was drinking in said he submitted 'black pudding and beans' which sounded much better than anything that won.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 15, 2020, 11:30:33 AM
Back when walkers were having that competition for people to submit flavours and some fry up stuff one, the landlord of the pub I was drinking in said he submitted 'black pudding and beans' which sounded much better than anything that won.
I don't think I've ever even heard of black pudding flavoured crisps, let alone tried any. Mackies Stornoway Black Pudding flavour has a certain ring to it.

Consignia

Butchers Blind

Pork and egg nuggets. You want it!

Glebe

Never mind Sos & Egg McB... try these for there "tremendous protein value"!:

You will love them, and so will your family. Under pain of death.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Consignia on September 15, 2020, 11:40:48 AM
Lancashire Crisps do a Black Pudding one: https://www.fiddlerslancashirecrisps.co.uk/crisps/lancashire-black-pudding-and-english-mustard/#crisps-carousel Not tried them, but their other ones are quite nice.
And what the fuck is Lancashire sauce? Is that a real thing? I've been to several places in ceremonial Lancastershire and don't recall it being poured over me.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Sebastian Cobb

Isn't lancashire sauce some lea and perrings but without the anchovy?

Marner and Me

Quote from: Thursday on September 14, 2020, 06:45:50 PM
Sausage "patties" are a very American thing to the point that they need to call normal Sausages "links"
It's a Jock thing too.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 15, 2020, 01:09:12 PM

Henderson's Relish?

pancreas

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 15, 2020, 09:39:04 AM
I'll try and do a wine analogy.

Thank you for this. What you describe would be intolerable in many ways. But the problem is that, it depends heavily on the quality of this putative wine—it might be worth the commotion to attempt to get it right or it might not. But the analogous wine in this case would be in a box in a Spar somewhere, and the analogous customer a sot, of no fixed abode, trembling with the DTs, and really not sufficiently fussy to enter into the proposed dialogue.

Or am I missing some subtlety here?

buzby

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 15, 2020, 12:57:16 PM
And what the fuck is Lancashire sauce? Is that a real thing? I've been to several places in ceremonial Lancastershire and don't recall it being poured over me.
It hails from Entwistle's Delicatessen in Ramsbottom from  a recipe made up by their gran, so calling it 'Lancashire' is a bit of a stretch:
https://www.lancashiresauce.co.uk/
Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 15, 2020, 01:09:12 PM
Pretty much, except a bit fruitier and milder on the spice front, despite containing curry powder.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

seepage

Quote from: pancreas on September 15, 2020, 03:36:41 PM
Thank you for this. What you describe would be intolerable in many ways. But the problem is that, it depends heavily on the quality of this putative wine—it might be worth the commotion to attempt to get it right or it might not. But the analogous wine in this case would be in a box in a Spar somewhere, and the analogous customer a sot, of no fixed abode, trembling with the DTs, and really not sufficiently fussy to enter into the proposed dialogue.

Or am I missing some subtlety here?

Not sure I've seen Ribera del Duero in a box, but who knows?

Sebastian Cobb

Walkers are doing a Pizza Express tie-in at the moment, so I put back my discounted tube of sour cream and chive pringles and got two multibags of them. I've only tried the Margarita so far, bit shit tbh.