Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:14:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Most Wild Rock Stars?

Started by MortSahlFan, September 14, 2020, 05:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

Jim Morrison and Keith Moon are a few that come to mind... I've read many times how Jim would do daring things at school, climbing on top of buildings, railways, anything to get attention... Keith Moon is rumored to have either driven a car or jumped into a pool at a Holiday Inn in Michigan on his 21st birthday, to be banned from EVERY Holiday Inn.

Please include stories, because some might not know details outside of their music, and some stories could be debunked by others.. I'll need to go back and make sure my details are correct before posting more.

the science eel

Moon'll be hard to beat. Nobody wilder comes to mind. Elton John and Iggy had their crazy moments but they were limited by decorum and money respectively.

Rizla

I think Moon the loon got his Holiday Inn ban as a result of him (and Entwistle?) blowing up a toilet with a cherry bomb didn't he? A trick they learnt from Herman's Hermits who they toured with, HH having been over a few times before. The roller in the swimming pool story is one that grew legs over the years, it was something like a Bentley into more of an ornamental pond, and more a case of the handbrake being let off. Anyway I seem to remember reading that Townshend became even more of an irresponsible jackass later in the 70s when he decided to channel his inner Moon.

Rizla

Another thing about the 21st birthday story, when he lost a front tooth due to some antics or other, is that it was really his 20th, he added the year so he could get served alcohol.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 14, 2020, 05:22:36 PM
Peter Skellern. Close thread.
Never heard of him, so I went on his wiki page, and found nothing... Do you know of any stories? Maybe you could fill up his page.

The Mollusk

I heard that one time after a gig in Weymouth, Iggy Pop got back to the hotel nearly 10 mins after the 11pm curfew following a particularly wild night. He had to ask really nicely for them to open the door and when they did he didn't even say thanks, he just skulked off to his room! Very bad manners!

The next morning he overslept and missed breakfast entirely, and the housekeeping had to let themselves into the room to wake him up as it was already time to check out! Unbelievable!

At the front desk when the band were all settling up, he tried haggling the room fee, claiming "I shouldn't have to pay for the breakfast when I didn't flipping well eat any"! The cheek of it!

Then, as they were leaving the building, the porter kindly opened the door for him, but instead of walking out and thanking the porter, he whipped out a pipe and smoked a big pinch of PCP, took all his clothes off and relieved himself sexually all over the porter's trousers and shoes whilst slashing his chest open with some particularly sharp-edged brochures from the display stand near the door! Really, now, that's just too far!

Famous Mortimer

That GG Allin is "a bit of a rum 'un", so I hear

DrGreggles

I heard a story about 2 performers in the 70s who were touring together and would constantly try to out-do the other on stage in terms of shocking behaviour.

***Note: DrGreggles has forgotten the names involved, so has used random 70s singers in their place***

Anyway, one night David Dundas took a shit on the stage, then one of The Wurzels ate it.

Polymorphia

The band "Hell on Earth" blended frogs on stage and drank them, didn't they? (Wikipedia says rats, but then again the page has no sources) And they were going to let a fan commit suicide on stage until they were told it was illegal. That's pretty 'wild', in a GG Allin sense of being a wild rock star

Marilyn Mansion bit a crow's ballbag off on stage and he didn't get rabies cos he was possessed by the devil.

Rizla

Gary Glitter got his bum out once

Barbara Dickson, in full view of a shocked traffic warden, once tore up a parking ticket and ate it. Then she just drove off.

The Mollusk

Suzi Gardner is renowned for frequently putting the bog roll on the holder so it unravels towards the wall and not the user.

Zucchero never rewound rented video cassettes. Couldn't give a fuck.

flotemysost

Paul McCartney used to bring just one pair of socks on tour.

Quote"Well, it got smelly on tour. And I only had one pair."

(TW for image at top of linked page - septuagenarian vinegar strokes)

Dr Syntax Head

non capisco

I heard Axl Rose, right, Axl Rose out of Guns 'N' Roses, whenever he filled a form in and it said 'Sex', instead of ticking the box for 'male' he'd write "Yes, please!!!"

Slash, though - and I know this is true, because my mate's dad is friends with a guy who roadied for Slash's Snakepit - always writes 'Jedi' whenever he's asked to declare his religion!!!

kalowski

Val Doonican took so much cocaine in the 70s his septum disintegrated so he had to have a roadie (a BBC script editor) blow coke up his arse with a straw.

kalowski

Sid Vicious never returned library books. When he died he had a copy of "Improve your football: passing and shooting" that was three months overdue.
Actually, when I first heard this wild story I was told it was "Clive Everton's Play Better Snooker"

buzby

Quote from: Rizla on September 14, 2020, 05:09:25 PM
The roller in the swimming pool story is one that grew legs over the years, it was something like a Bentley into more of an ornamental pond, and more a case of the handbrake being let off.
It's actually two stires that were conflated. He left the handbrake off his Rolls Royce and it rolled into the (empty) swimming pool that was under construction at his house. He also accidentally drove his 1939 ex-US Embassy Chrysler Wimbledon into his duck pond

The swimming pool story originated from Moon himself in a 1972 Rolling Stone interview. He supposedly rolled a Lincoln Continental into the swimming pool of the Flint, Michigan Holiday Inn during his riotous birthday party (the same one where he broke his tooth) while on tour with Herman's Hermits in 1967 after being told to break it up by the manager. Most of the other people who were there have said it never happened though and it was just one of his tall tales.
https://www.loudersound.com/features/keith-moon-takes-a-car-for-a-swim

The cherry bomb in the toilet incident happened on that same tour either in Georgia (according to Townshend) or Montgomery, Alabama (according to the Hermits' manager Harvey Lisberg). It was also at the end of that tour when they appeared on the Smothers Brothers TV show where Moon's exploding bass drum damaged Townshend's hearing:
http://www.markrblake.com/who.html

JaDanketies

GG Allin is obviously the right answer but the question immediately makes me think of this NSFW picture of Anal Cunt frontman Seth Putnam shooting up while getting a blowjob from a groupie

GG Allin snuffed it at 36 and Seth Putnam at 43

ASFTSN

I think that's Putnam's wife in that picture isn't it? Tiresome business in any case.

JaDanketies

Quote from: ASFTSN on September 15, 2020, 11:34:52 AM
I think that's Putnam's wife in that picture isn't it? Tiresome business in any case.

It may well be! What I like about that picture is how it doesn't look like anyone's having any fun.

Norton Canes

Dave Gahan - didn't even let dying get in the way of his career

ajsmith2

Glad to see another Steve Hoffmanite who frequents this forum. I wonder how many of us regularly frequenting SHTV/Cab there are. TBH, forget social media, those too are my online social life (and these days my social life in sum total I guess) .

the

Funnily enough I was going to say something like "The Most Excruciating Self-Entitled Babymen?", but that would take on a different complexion now

daf

Got to be between Dave Dee and Englebert Humperdinck - the jaded bastards.

At least good old Jimmy Young still appreciates a fine pair  :