Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:48:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Most Wild Rock Stars?

Started by MortSahlFan, September 14, 2020, 05:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

Oz Oz Alice

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 17, 2020, 08:13:46 PM
This fella from Dissection is the start of some weird Wikipedia rabbit-holes. He definitely appears to be a total wrong-un.  Their music is good, too.

More like "Jon Not Right" if you ask me.

Because of the homophobic murder.

JaDanketies

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 17, 2020, 11:47:19 PM
How?

heavy metal stars, sex crimes and tainted reputations

Decapitated had their charges dismissed though

The Mollusk

Calling Lostprophets heavy metal is probably even worse than your n-word debate!

But still, without trying to sound like I'm singling you out (as the story was a warm anecdote), that's got nowt to do with wild rock stars at all.

That Decapitated story really rubbed me up the wrong way at the time though and it still makes me feel really uncomfortable. It doesn't feel like the case was wrapped up at all, a few loose ends and "she got those bruises in the mosh pit" leave a very unpleasant taste in the mouth and I've never really trusted the band since.

JaDanketies

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 18, 2020, 01:07:21 PM
That Decapitated story really rubbed me up the wrong way at the time though and it still makes me feel really uncomfortable. It doesn't feel like the case was wrapped up at all, a few loose ends and "she got those bruises in the mosh pit" leave a very unpleasant taste in the mouth and I've never really trusted the band since.

Yeah I know. It's that horrible uncertainty whether or not these guys should be rotting in some American Supermax jail or if they were falsely accused and had their reputation tarnished. And 'innocent until proven guilty' merely applies to criminal court and not to the court of public opinion. I don't think we'll ever know the truth.

I know there's more similarity between Lost Prophets and Oasis than there is between Lost Prophets and Decapitated but they were part of that early-00s nu metal / alt metal scene. Were they actually metal? Seems like an argument for 20 years ago. Apparently their predecessor band was metalcore. Another nail in the coffin

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 18, 2020, 01:07:21 PM
Calling Lostprophets heavy metal is probably even worse than your n-word debate!

But still, without trying to sound like I'm singling you out (as the story was a warm anecdote), that's got nowt to do with wild rock stars at all.

Lighten up man

You'll be telling me I can't read the court transcript to my daughter at bedtime next

kngen

Quote from: mobias on September 17, 2020, 08:05:34 PM
Yeah but it was all just attention seeking nonsense.

I've always felt that that era of Norwegian Black Metal is akin to those Russian football hoolies that turn up with batons and brass knuckles and start maiming families in otherwise peaceful sun-kissed piazzas somewhere near a football match. Like they need to be taken aside and told, 'See, you've taken all this stuff a wee bit too literally. It was always just a bit of play-acting, and now you've gone and bloody killed somebody, you stupid sods. Now everyone thinks you're a dick - even the people you think you're copying. Especially them, come to think of it.'

Quote from: kngen on September 24, 2020, 01:12:40 AM
I've always felt that that era of Norwegian Black Metal is akin to those Russian football hoolies that turn up with batons and brass knuckles and start maiming families in otherwise peaceful sun-kissed piazzas somewhere near a football match. Like they need to be taken aside and told, 'See, you've taken all this stuff a wee bit too literally. It was always just a bit of play-acting, and now you've gone and bloody killed somebody, you stupid sods. Now everyone thinks you're a dick - even the people you think you're copying. Especially them, come to think of it.'

Yeah, it went from Sabbath's attitude:

Quote"If these people pay money to watch horror movies let's start writing horror music," and it was just from that. We never practiced fucking black magic; the only black magic we had was chocolates.

To burning stave churches and murdering to death your bandmates in the space of about 20 years. All seems a bit fucking mental when you think about it, I remember it all happening at the time and as a metal fan it was very disturbing to me that some people had decided to become too real with what was an enjoyably daft genre that appealed a lot to the 16 year old me.

turnstyle

Thom Yorke, innit. Total nutter.

Quote from: Thom YorkeColin and I got into cooking. But all the things we cooked had to have pesto in. Colin always referred to it as the 'pesto slop'. It would taste great, though.. you know, idiot food. But a month after I moved out I ate some pesto and started feeling really sick. I haven't eaten it since.

thugler

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on September 24, 2020, 03:25:23 PM
Yeah, it went from Sabbath's attitude:

To burning stave churches and murdering to death your bandmates in the space of about 20 years. All seems a bit fucking mental when you think about it, I remember it all happening at the time and as a metal fan it was very disturbing to me that some people had decided to become too real with what was an enjoyably daft genre that appealed a lot to the 16 year old me.

This is a thing in metal generally that has always annoyed me, as a fan. Way too cliquey a scene and pretty conservative in shouting down anything too different, and way too many people who take it too seriously and are unable to see the inherent humour in basically all of it. It's just a fun bit of escapism.

Chriddof

Quote from: turnstyle on September 25, 2020, 01:24:23 PM
Thom Yorke, innit. Total nutter.

I remember that quote - it's from Select Magazine's rundown of all Radiohead songs ever (until about 1998), isn't it? The phrase "idiot food" has always stuck with me, because the way Yorke said it would imply that he thought "idiot food" was a universal concept that both interviewer and reader would instantly recognize, rather than an slightly peculiar pairing of words.

Incidentally, pesto can contain pine nuts, which might point to an allergy or intolerance.