Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:21:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"American Head" by The Flaming Lips

Started by SteveDave, September 15, 2020, 10:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

I'm on my second go around of this today and it's getting better with each listen.

"Flowers Of Neptune 9" is the prettiest song I've heard them do in ages https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxUXT6nEYFY and "My Religion Is You" is a lovely end to the album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g8QTpvY5_Y

I really enjoyed their last LP "The King's Mouth" with Mick Jones' weird narration. It was a nice break from the tunes-less previous 3 (or so) LPs. 

AzureSky

It's really good isn't it, it feels like they are properly back after many years of experimental albums. Agree with the review somewhere that said it's the best since The Soft Bulletin in 1999.

Ahh I remember falling in love with The Soft Bulletin back in 1999, it was at the height of my Mercury Rev obsession. Unfortunately I developed a severe dislike for Wayne Coyne's vocals to the point that I can't listen to any of their stuff anymore. I still like the early Mercury Rev records though as my dislike of those kind of vocals did not extend to Jonathan Donahue's.

the science eel

They were playing it in Fopp in Glasgow last weekend. It sounded terribly whiny and samey. I wouldn't play it to a dying dog.

Nice cover tho'.

AzureSky

Talking of the Rev, See You On The Other Side was 25 years old yesterday. Played it to death in the late '90s and still play it now. Loved Yerself Is Steam, Boces and that.

purlieu

Always felt Mercury Rev could have been as big as the Flaming Lips had Jonathan not become very hippyish and totally lost his edge. It's probably true of Grasshopper as well.

I haven't enjoyed a Flaming Lips album since Yoshimi but I'll probably still give this a listen.