Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:53:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Memorable movie lines from the last 15 years

Started by notjosh, September 15, 2020, 11:34:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notjosh

Tell me if I'm wrong on this. I was just thinking about how when I was a teenager (early noughties) people were always quoting lines from the big movies of the day.

"Yooooou shall not pass!"
"Father to a murdered son... husband to a murdered wife..."
"One MEEELLLION DOLLARS"

That sort of thing. And of course there are many 20th century film quotes that have become part of the popular consciousness.

"We're gonna need a bigger boat!"
"Surely you can't be serious!"
"I'm Spartacus/Brian!"
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!!"

But for the life of me I can't think of any equivalents from the past 15 years or so. There ought to be a few from the MCU at least, but I'm buggered if I know them. Best I can come up with is "I drink your milkshake!" (2007) and "It's niiiice" (2006).

Am I missing a bunch of recent examples? Or is it the children who are wrong?

madhair60

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling."

"THIS IS SPARTA!"

"I am inevitable."
"I am Iron Man."
"I am Groot."

Basically everything Heath Ledger's Joker said.

El Unicornio, mang

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you. I will not pursue you. But if don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you."

"This is Sparta"

"Argo fuck yourself"

"The wrong kid died!"

"Fuck off, Hitler!"

"This is Sparta!"

Thomas

Quote'"He's suicidal"? I'm suicidal, you're suicidal, everybody's fucking suicidal. We don't all keep going on about it.'

Also the 'cunt kids' exchange.

Quote'Rubber Dinghy Rapids, bro.'

'Fuck Mini Babybel.'

I think Four Lions deserves a higher pop cultural profile.

Thomas

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 15, 2020, 12:46:53 PM
"Rubber dinghy rapids."

I was just editing my own post as you typed that.

Quote'Was all this legal? Absolutely fucking not.'

Quote'Apes together strong.'

Sebastian Cobb

She's not my special lady, she's my fucking lady friend. I'm just helping her conceive.

"Manners maketh man. Do you know what that means? ... Now. Are we going to stand around all day, or are we going to fight?"
"If you save the world, we can do it in the asshole."

Admittedly, I did just watch that the other day.

"Shut up, crime!"

"Oh, what a day. What a lovely day!"

Quote from: Thomas on September 15, 2020, 12:52:15 PM
I was just editing my own post as you typed that.
Well you brought up In Bruges, so I forgive you. That one film could fill this entire thread.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 15, 2020, 12:56:36 PM
She's not my special lady, she's my fucking lady friend. I'm just helping her conceive.
Also very quotable, but it was from 1998.

Bad Ambassador

"Yes. Considerably."

"Puny god."

It's tempting to paste the entire introduction and ending narration from Assassination of Jesse James, but I won't.

BlodwynPig

'I've done it. I've slain the Minotaur'

'excuse human, is this spear yours?'

'motherfucking bulllllllshiiiiit!'

"A doughnut hole, inside a doughnut's hole."

"I'm going to need a motherfucking crepe, before I go crazy."

Custard

"Do you bleed? YOU WIIIILLL"

Mainly cos it's so shit

BlodwynPig

"Is that your dog?"

"No, it's your dog"

"It's not my motherfucking dog, it must be your dog"

"Your dog"

"Your dog"

"Motherfucker"

GoblinAhFuckScary

"It seems to me you're an EXPERT, Mark"

Edit: The Room came out in 2003 ffs

I only learned really recently that Batman saying "I'm Batman" is a catchphrase and they all do it. I've seen most of the films and never twigged as it's a pretty shit catchphrase.

frajer

For a few months around the release of Dark Knight Rises, everyone started doing the "Bane" voice but I can't remember specific lines. "The fire rises" maybe? Nah, that's shit.

Sebastian Cobb

If you encounter any problems you cannot resolve yourselves, you will be assigned children, that usually helps.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: thecuriousorange on September 15, 2020, 02:16:02 PM
I only learned really recently that Batman saying "I'm Batman" is a catchphrase and they all do it. I've seen most of the films and never twigged as it's a pretty shit catchphrase.

I think the first Burton one started it. I remember this Snickers ad from the 90s which featured it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoX-HkOcEuE&ab_channel=Mindset

Kelvin

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 15, 2020, 12:27:40 PM
"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling."

Heh. My mate and I still like competing to see who can say this in the plummiest accent.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: frajer on September 15, 2020, 02:31:42 PM
For a few months around the release of Dark Knight Rises, everyone started doing the "Bane" voice but I can't remember specific lines. "The fire rises" maybe? Nah, that's shit.

Fuck I still do shitty Bane voices into my pint glass whenever appropriate (or inappropriate).

Was in a tent at Supernormal fest round 2013 and got a distinct memory of someone zipping past the tent full speed screaming "WHERE'S THE TRIGGER"

ProvanFan

I will find you, and I will science the shit out of you.

Kelvin

Quote from: frajer on September 15, 2020, 02:31:42 PM

I just repeat "People of Gotham" over and over.

EDIT; God, I sound like the worst type of pub bore in this thread.  :)

The Dark Knight (2008) is within the last 15 years and "Why so serious" was pretty huge. Did Joe Phoenix's Joker have a catchphrase that people in costumes can say in a voice?

frajer

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 15, 2020, 02:39:00 PM
Was in a tent at Supernormal fest round 2013 and got a distinct memory of someone zipping past the tent full speed screaming "WHERE'S THE TRIGGER"

Heh, excellent. Must say I do love the Tom Hardy Bane voice. Much more than Bale's Batman voice which I think even he admitted by the third film didn't work when he had full scenes of dialogue. "You'd never give the trigger to an ordinary citizsssshen!"

chveik