Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:14:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Memorable movie lines from the last 15 years

Started by notjosh, September 15, 2020, 11:34:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

Brundle-Fly

The first movie is 2004 but there's been countless sequels since where this line is uttered in each one.

"We're going to play a game"

Dr Rock

I'm inclined to agree with the premise that there used to be more quotes from movies that entered the mainstream. Maybe one reason is that during, say the 80s, there was a conscious effort to get catchphrases in the script,  'Hasta La Vista, baby' being a prime example. Nowadays maybe that's avoided a bit? No Country For Old Men has a very memorable babbie, but I don't think any of his lines were written to be as memorable as 'go ahead punk, make my day' etc.

Also I wonder how many memorable lines caught on straight away, like "I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti." and how many percolated around for a few years before finding more traction... did people say 'We're going to need a bigger boat' straight after they saw Jaws The Shark? Or did it take maybe a decade to become a famous quote?

Fr.Bigley

"Fuck sake Abe put your cock away" -Lincoln (2012)

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 19, 2020, 11:11:43 AM
I'm inclined to agree with the premise that there used to be more quotes from movies that entered the mainstream. Maybe one reason is that during, say the 80s, there was a conscious effort to get catchphrases in the script,  'Hasta La Vista, baby' being a prime example. Nowadays maybe that's avoided a bit?
Could be the way movies are advertised now too. I can't remember the last trailer I saw that had a quotable piece of dialogue or a memorable catchphrase. But then again I'm getting old.

lipsink

The best line(s) from 'No Country For Old Men' that really should get quoted more often is the following exchange:

"It's a mess, ain't it, Sheriff?"

"If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here."

Wasn't "What a lovely, lovely voice" a Bane quote for a while? Remember that getting huge laughs in the cinema.

Fr.Bigley

lipsink

Is "I could do this all day" Captain America's catchphrase from the comics or was it created for the films?

samadriel

Quote from: lipsink on September 19, 2020, 12:53:39 PM
Is "I could do this all day" Captain America's catchphrase from the comics or was it created for the films?
Pretty sure it's a movie thing. There's also Ant Man's "As far as I'm concerned, that's America's ass."

touchingcloth

I'm inclined to agree with the premise that there used to be more quotes from movies that entered the mainstream. Maybe one reason is that during, say the 80s, there was a conscious effort to get catchphrases in the script,  'Hasta La Vista, baby' being a prime example. Nowadays maybe that's avoided a bit? No Country For Old Men has a very memorable babbie, but I don't think any of his lines were written to be as memorable as 'go ahead punk, make my day' etc.

Also I wonder how many memorable lines caught on straight away, like "I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti." and how many percolated around for a few years before finding more traction... did people say 'We're going to need a bigger boat' straight after they saw Jaws The Shark? Or did it take maybe a decade to become a famous quote?

I think naturalistic writing is part of it. It would feel a bit weird if someone wrote "hasta la vista, baby" now.

I think part of it is also that there's so much more content. What with box sets, Netflix, YouTube, podcasts and telly which is way better than it was twenty years ago, there's not much crossover between what I and any given friend have watched. I sort I imagine that many more people saw, say, Back to the Future in the cinema than Iron Man, because the latter had more to compete with.

ersatz99

Dead Man's Shoes

Richard: "He's still screaming my name".

dissolute ocelot

QuoteI don't think letting Peter Hedlin motorboat you behind a Bed, Bath, and Beyond really makes you a super slut.
QuoteWhat is with you gays? Are you really that repulsed by lady parts? What do you think I have down there? A gnome?
QuoteA high-end stripper, for governors or athletes.
Easy A (2010) isn't really the Heathers of the 21st century, but it's fun.

Quote....
Is also a great moment in Columbus (2017).

notjosh

I think parody plays a big part in perpetuating these memes. Could it be that with no more Leslie Nielsen movies and less sketch shows doing film parodies these things never get a chance to take off?

Dr Rock

I think there's that too. It's how 'Play it again Sam' became so well known, even if the quote is incorrect.

magval

Get off your horse and drink yer milk is another, even quote by Tex* in I'm Alan Partridge, but I believe it's from a UK advert or something and everyone just thinks John Wayne said it.

I go a wee bit deeper on things like this sometimes. I wanted to learn once why pirates in films tended to have one of a couple of regional accents, and you can too, if you get onto the internet!

Similarly, where did the Peter Lorre-style 'yes master' hunchback come from? A parody, as it turns out, and not any of the original Universal horrors which had hunchbacks and Igors aplenty.

*TEXT?

Phil Colons

Woody Harrelson's scene where he's discussing Anton Chigurh with the money man is great

"Just how he dangerous is he ?"
"Compered to what, the bubonic plague ?"

Don't think the scene would have worked without Harrelson's couldn't give a fuck drawl.

Pink Gregory

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Assuming the premise of the thread is true, I wonder if it has something to do with Hollywood's increasing reliance on foreign audiences. Perhaps there's less incentive to come up with snappy dialogue, when it's all going to get mangled by translators anyway.

"His species are totally literal. Metaphors will go over his head."
"Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are too fast. I would catch it."

SteveDave

Quote from: ersatz99 on September 19, 2020, 10:06:00 PM
Dead Man's Shoes

Richard: "He's still screaming my name".

Or

"You're fucking there mate..." but it needs the hand gesture too.

magval

"You ya cunt" is also very popular, made an impression, that wee snap.

Sebastian Cobb

Mister Six

Yeah, I'd agree with both of those things, plus-

1- I'm pretty sure that most people here aren't teenagers/early twentysomethings anymore, which means we're probably hanging around with people who have already absorbed most of the pop culture froth that they ever will, so newer stuff is less likely to get a foothold than stuff we're used to saying (which is why This is Sparta etc registered - that was 14 years ago!),

2- Culture is less homogenised - more channels, plus streaming, plus pirating foreign stuff, plus films, plus video games on multiple platforms, plus podcasts, plus radio, plus books, plus comics, plus memes, plus YouTubers, plus other social media guff, means more information hitting fewer (per creative work) people, means less opportunity for any one thing to dominate the wider public consciousness,

3- As a consequence of both of the above, we (in this thread) tend to consume media individually now, or in small groups (with a significant other or a couple of friends). It's not like back in the day when there would be s bunch of you going to the cinema together, or watching video tapes in a group, so fewer opportunities for film quotes to become crystallised as memes and then spread out into the wider world.

4- For many in my generational cohort (Xennial) and down, audio memes have been supplanted by visual ones - GIFs, video clips, static images or text ("ok boomer"), due to social media. These are providing the same service of providing a feeling of social cohesion that film quotes do, and there's such an incredible turnover that it's hard for anything to stick around.

5- Those memes tend to come from TV shows rather than films, I guess because shows tend to be more persistent in the collective mind rather than flitting away after a month or so on screens.

So the phenomenon is still there, it's just shifting (and less visible to us old mooks).

touchingcloth

Catalogue Trousers

Lord Mandrake

"You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilisation left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... Oh, fuck it."

touchingcloth

If a film made now included Royale with Cheese/path of the righteous man dialogue, do you think it would enter the public consciousness and be endlessly quoted by teenage boys, or just get laughed out of the cinemas?

Jerzy Bondov

'*shaking head and pointing* That's bait' and 'MEDIOCRE' from Fury Road are pretty big with my sad cunt mates

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I can't be bothered transcribing the entire scene, but here's Dewey Cox learning about reefer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7npWDyxB7d8

"It's the cheapest drug there is."