Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:17:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sore throats, headaches, everything else

Started by Zetetic, September 15, 2020, 01:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Thanks to filthy kids, the weather and all that, we're possibly seeing a whole bunch of other (mostly mild) respiratory illness pick up. Going to fuck up testing demand even further. (I remember conversations and back-of-an-envelope calculations back in March as we tried to work out how many health and social care staff had a cough at any one time. This was when microbiologists were insisting that asymptomatic testing wasn't viable.)

How difficult is it to test COVID swabs for other stuff at the same time (or retest the same material)? Are studies already underway? Would be fascinating to get a better grip on cold virus epidemiology at the same time.

Also, personally, hangovers have been a cause of concern on a couple of occasions (but I should probably be more worried about binge drinking than COVID in those situations).

Zetetic

An uptick in Google searches relating to sore throats, is what prompted this thread:
https://twitter.com/EvanHD/status/1305844574221471745?s=19

Shit Good Nose

Little Nose has been back at school for a week and already most of them have got sniffles and sore throats (and Mrs Nose is feeling shit today, so it'll obviously be me next - last time I got a summer cold it turned into pneumonia).  No temperatures though, so they're not breaking out the covid battlearms yet.

Can't speak for the hangovers - little Nose doesn't get those (as much as she used to, etc, b'boom).

bgmnts

Thankfully we have an excuse to wear face masks now so I'm never catching shit kid germs ever again.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on September 15, 2020, 02:07:55 PM
Thankfully we have an excuse to wear face masks now so I'm never catching shit kid germs ever again.

I can easily see that becoming a thing in most countries now when things return to normal (or some version of normal).  We'll never smirk at East Asians again.  Well, not for the face masks anyway.

Glebe

Zetetic

Something like a third of people put through the "full respiratory screen" in Wales apparently test positive for a rhinovirus at the moment.

Hard to relate to that to symptomatic community people though.

flotemysost

It does feel a bit mad that on one hand, we're being chastised for ordering (or attempting to order) tests if we don't have the Official Symptoms™, and on the other hand we're fielding a constant barrage of articles like "50 SURE signs you've had COVID". I appreciate that scientists and doctors are learning new stuff about it every day but it's hard to know whether to panic at the mildest sign of infection.

A few people I know are fairly certain they got it early on (before tests were widely available, the first time round) and they were very unwell indeed, so I assumed I'd avoided it so far, but now I'm beginning to think I may had had it very mildly back in late March/early April.

No temperature, cough, olfactory changes etc. but I did start noticing a subtle but distinctive weird tight achey feeling in my throat (not a sore throat) which worsened at night. At the time I thought "Right, I should keep an eye on this for the next couple of weeks [I wasn't going anywhere at that time anyway] and if I'm not dead then it's probs not the 'vid". And it's just never really gone away.

I was getting on packed Tube carriages to work until my office closed in mid-March, and I live in the London borough which had the highest number of cases for some time, so it's possible. Or it could just be pollen from the massive tree outside my window, or maybe I'm a wheezy fuck unaccustomed to mandatory daily exercise. I'll never know, I guess.

Zetetic

You might do from antibody testing at some point, maybe.

But, yeah, we might see not of an emphasis on symptomatic differentiation from colds (and flu) soon. To the extent that's even possible.

Zetetic

Possibly complicated by co-infections. I could imagine having a mild cold and an asymptomatic COVID-19 infection makes you a pretty decent spreader as well.

Zetetic

Quote from: bgmnts on September 15, 2020, 02:07:55 PM

1. You've got to make the kids wear the masks.
2. Won't help so much against rhinoviruses (compared with flu or COVID-19), apparently.

flotemysost

Quote from: Zetetic on September 15, 2020, 10:52:16 PM
Won't help so much against rhinoviruses

Is there anything they don't eat in those Chinese markets, eh?!