Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:12:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

ICE Detention Centre Nastiness

Started by Blumf, September 15, 2020, 02:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

So, yeah, seems like somebody got a bit too happy with the hysterectomies:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/14/ice-detainees-hysterectomies-medical-neglect-irwin-georgia
QuoteImmigrants in a US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (Ice) detention center in Georgia are being subjected to horrific conditions and treatment, including "jarring medical neglect" and a high rate of hysterectomies among women, according to a whistleblower complaint filed by several legal advocacy groups on behalf of a nurse who works there.

Reading through, it seems like it wasn't a explicit policy as such, but they hired some quack who needs striking off, because who fucking cares, right?

Fambo Number Mive

Absolutely disgusting.

I didn't realise the private sector ran these places in the US as well.

bgmnts

Privatised concentration camps. What a country.

Dr Trouser

Give me your tired, your poor, Your neglected masses yearning to breed, The wretched refuse of your working fallopian tubes. Send these, the fecund, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my speculum beside the golden door and sterilise them!

zomgmouse

fucking nazi bullshit. absolutely horrifying

C_Larence

https://twitter.com/posadist_trapgd/status/1305901711815512067?s=21

Quote from: People for Bernie twitter accountOur system is so inherently patriarchal they didn't even think to preform safe and largely reversible vasectomies

The tweet has since been deleted

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Why do people have such great difficulty spelling the word "perform" correctly, instead spelling it "preform"? It's absolutely rediculous.

pcsjwgm

Quote from: C_Larence on September 16, 2020, 03:15:27 AM
https://twitter.com/posadist_trapgd/status/1305901711815512067?s=21

The tweet has since been deleted

Who the hell is behind the People for Bernie account? They recently put out a dumb tweet claiming that people who won't vote for Biden aren't anti-fascist, which ignores a concern that many leftists have that a neoliberal Biden administration will create the conditions for another faux "populist" right-wing victory in 2024, led by a candidate who will be far more competent and efficient at carrying out a fascistic agenda than Trump.

Bernice

Blumf

Surprised they didn't go the whole hog and just posted "HIRE 👏 MORE 👏 WOMEN 👏 GUARDS 👏."

thugler

Quote from: pcsjwgm on September 16, 2020, 07:47:29 AM
Who the hell is behind the People for Bernie account? They recently put out a dumb tweet claiming that people who won't vote for Biden aren't anti-fascist, which ignores a concern that many leftists have that a neoliberal Biden administration will create the conditions for another faux "populist" right-wing victory in 2024, led by a candidate who will be far more competent and efficient at carrying out a fascistic agenda than Trump.

It's not like there is another choice though. I can't stand Biden or the democratic party for that matter, I think he's terrible and maybe even worse than Hilary. However at least in any state where your vote would make a difference I don't see any excuse for not voting for him. You could be right about 'creating the future conditions' for another Trump style win, but letting him win is a more immediate and certain victory for Trump fascism, emboldened and perhaps able to start shutting down democracy in the way they've already shown is their plan.

I don't agree with the tweet's line of if you don't vote for him you're not anti fascist, but I do think leftists should vote for him in the face of the other option being so bad it's worthwhile. It's not going to bring about social democracy or even semi decent policies in America, but it might reduce the outright fascism and vile abuses going on in some areas.

Paul Calf

Bernie and Jezza really were the last throw of the dice. No option is good, and as those who would imprison and enslave us have already done, we need to abandon this democratic system as a vehicle for change if we're to repair this broken world.

thugler

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 16, 2020, 09:43:46 AM
Bernie and Jezza really were the last throw of the dice. No option is good, and as those who would imprison and enslave us have already done, we need to abandon this democratic system as a vehicle for change if we're to repair this broken world.

How would this be done and what would you replace it with? I'm of the opinion that the only realistic way to get rid of it would be to take over the democratic party/Labour party as Jez/Bernie both nearly managed.

Flouncer

Quote from: thugler on September 16, 2020, 10:00:02 AM
How would this be done and what would you replace it with? I'm of the opinion that the only realistic way to get rid of it would be to take over the democratic party/Labour party as Jez/Bernie both nearly managed.

They didn't nearly manage it, though. Whenever anyone like that gets within a sniff of power, the vested interests array themselves against them, and make absolutely sure they cannot win. It's an illusion; it's a fucking joke, and a monumental waste of time and energy. If the last five years haven't proved that to you, I don't know what to tell you. What needs to be done is building up a social movement from the ground up - building up the radical trade unions, community organising, building solidarity with and between workers and marginalised communities. The left has got to make up for thirty-odd years of wasted time already, hanging around and kidding ourselves on that the support we lend to these cunts is eventually going to translate into some degree of representation. It never does. We need to stop wasting our time and energy, and do something useful with it instead.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Blumf on September 16, 2020, 09:19:14 AM
Surprised they didn't go the whole hog and just posted "HIRE 👏 MORE 👏 WOMEN 👏 GUARDS 👏."

ajsmith2

Quote from: Flouncer on September 16, 2020, 11:25:55 AM
They didn't nearly manage it, though. Whenever anyone like that gets within a sniff of power, the vested interests array themselves against them, and make absolutely sure they cannot win. It's an illusion; it's a fucking joke, and a monumental waste of time and energy. If the last five years haven't proved that to you, I don't know what to tell you. What needs to be done is building up a social movement from the ground up - building up the radical trade unions, community organising, building solidarity with and between workers and marginalised communities. The left has got to make up for thirty-odd years of wasted time already, hanging around and kidding ourselves on that the support we lend to these cunts is eventually going to translate into some degree of representation. It never does. We need to stop wasting our time and energy, and do something useful with it instead.

What if there was a left wing trojan horse candidate who got into office under a campaign of centrist neoliberal 'sensible' normalcy and then turned properly left wing once they were in power?Incredibly unlikely that anyone would be thinking that way, and even if they were it'd be near impossible to pull off I know. Just an idle thought of some way to circumvent how the cards are stacked.

thugler

Quote from: Flouncer on September 16, 2020, 11:25:55 AM

We should do all that, but the eventual effect of doing all that is still to take over the Labour/Democratic party and get into power. I'm not so sure that vested interests always get their way as easily as you make out. It was clear that Trump was not the vested interests ideal candidate. The democratic race was close again this time and will continue to be so, the progressive wing is getting stronger and not weaker, and in the UK Labour still has a strong membership base who haven't abandoned all of their policy goals overnight.

Neither does any of this change the fact that it's still advisable to hold your nose and vote against the outright fascist. Same as with Le Pen in France.

idunnosomename

Makes me live in hope we will finally live to see a female Dr Joseph Mengele

chveik

Bernice

I'm glad this story of genocide in the USA could give the world the impetus to have this exact conversation for the billionth time and settle things once and for all.

Ferris

Quote from: pcsjwgm on September 16, 2020, 07:47:29 AM
a concern that many leftists have that a neoliberal Biden administration will create the conditions for another faux "populist" right-wing victory in 2024, led by a candidate who will be far more competent and efficient at carrying out a fascistic agenda than Trump.

I see this a lot, but what is the more likely scenario? That this happens in 2024 if the current autocratic right wing populist is obliterated at the ballot box, or if he wins and proves that brand of politics is a winner?

Biden is the beigest man in politics and likely to hew right at a moment's notice but he's a stop gap, and if we can get some left wing policy through the system (due to progressive grassroots pressure) in time to feel the benefits and campaign on it on 2024 then who knows? There is zero chance that happens with a second term for the incumbent.

I can't vote and was Bernie or bust, but at this point you pick the lesser of two evils.

chveik

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 16, 2020, 02:19:33 PM
if we can get some left wing policy through the system (due to progressive grassroots pressure) in time to feel the benefits and campaign on it on 2024 then who knows?

it's pretty obvious now that it won't happen.

Ferris

Quote from: chveik on September 16, 2020, 02:23:44 PM

Still more likely with biden, a democratic house and a balanced senate, than with trump in charge who can just refuse to sign anything fox news tells him not to

thugler

Quote from: chveik on September 16, 2020, 01:52:45 PM
oh ffs shut up thugler

Oh apologies for my outrageous and offensive opinions.

Quote from: chveik on September 16, 2020, 02:23:44 PM

We'd better not try just in case eh? Better not make any attempt to avoid a second term of facism, nothing bad will come of that.

Voting Biden is simply taking the least worst option on the table. Letting Trump win could remove options being on the table in the future. It's still a terrible option, but you should still vote if in a state it would make a difference in.

chveik

apology accepted

the idea of shaming people into voting for Biden (even more so in this particular thread) is slighly obscene.

Flouncer

You shouldn't vote cos it only encourages them LOL

Zetetic

See some discussion that whilst this might have been enabled by, broadly, racism that the driver could well have been perversely-incentivising surgery tariffs (hysterectomies apparently attracting a decent fee, presumably from the US Govt.).

Ferris

Quote from: chveik on September 16, 2020, 04:41:14 PM
the idea of shaming people into voting for Biden (even more so in this particular thread) is slighly obscene.

Is anyone in this thread eligible to vote in the US? I'm not. If you are, vote how you like - just throwing out my opinion, other opinions (like voting for trump I guess? Is that the argument?) are available, I leave it to you on which avenue makes more sense.

Ferris

Quote from: Zetetic on September 16, 2020, 05:02:35 PM
See some discussion that whilst this might have been enabled by, broadly, racism that the driver could well have been perversely-incentivising surgery tariffs (hysterectomies apparently attracting a decent fee, presumably from the US Govt.).

Fucking hell

chveik

Quote from: Flouncer on September 16, 2020, 04:50:34 PM
You shouldn't vote cos it only encourages them LOL

wut

I'm not expressing myself well but I'm basically in agreement with your previous post