Author Topic: Sufjan Stevens - The Ascension  (Read 344 times)

shagatha crustie

• Huff the talbot
Sufjan Stevens - The Ascension
« on: September 15, 2020, 06:01:03 PM »
Sad banjo-playing Christmas-obsessed LGBTQ folktronica nutter Sufjan Stevens releases his next full-length LP, The Ascension, on September 25th. This follows a trend of releasing an album every five years since 2005's modern classic Illinois, with electro-art-pop freakout The Age of Adz dropping in 2010 and haunting elegy to his deceased mother Carrie and Lowell in 2015. All of these would more than comfortably sit in my favourite albums released since 2000, and he's been no slouch in releasing quality material in between times.

The Ascension has been preceded by four singles, the latest of which, Sugar, came out today. The others:

America

My Rajneesh

Video Game

America and Rajneesh had me seriously hyped - two incredible compositions, if a little overlong, but he's always been prone to maximalism. Since then, for me at least, it's been slightly diminishing returns, with Video Game and Sugar a little less inspired and mining the same straightforward electro-pop seam as last year's Love Yourself EP. Nonetheless both are outrageously catchy.

Love the cover too:

Thoughts/feelings/general Sufjan discussion thread ahoy!

Re: Sufjan Stevens - The Ascension
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 09:51:26 PM »
Sounds not dissimilar to The Age of Adz, I dig it, woodwind arrangement in My Rajneesh is really something

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 10:02:00 PM »
My Rajneesh is my standout too. I don't think he's interested in reaching the dizzying indie heights of Illinois or Carrie and Lowell any more. Which is fine. Pleased to be here for the journey.

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 11:51:56 AM »
"My Rajneesh" is lovely, though it's a b-side, not on the album itself. Reminds me a lot of some of the stuff on All Delighted People, in the first half of the song at least, before it goes a bit Age of Adz.

Of the songs from the album, I especially like "Video Game", but I'm not going to listen to any of the songs too much before I can hear the album as a whole. Another huge fan of him in general though, particularly Illinois. But quite happy if this album is going to be a more chilled out electronic kind of deal. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 12:25:44 PM by selectivememory »

Tags: