Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:08:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Testing and infection rates over time

Started by Non Stop Dancer, September 15, 2020, 07:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Non Stop Dancer

Can someone help me understand this please. We're now at a point of having about 3000 new cases per day. The last time we had a similar number of new cases was roughly the end of March, but am I right in thinking that as we're now testing more (I think), that the actual number of infections per 100 people is actually lower than it was back then? Sorry, I'm not very clever.

BlodwynPig

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on September 15, 2020, 07:03:56 PM
Can someone help me understand this please. We're now at a point of having about 3000 new cases per day. The last time we had a similar number of new cases was roughly the end of March, but am I right in thinking that as we're now testing more (I think), that the actual number of infections per 100 people is actually lower than it was back then? Sorry, I'm not very clever.

All these are recorded infections. If we go from the premise that with hardly any testing outside hospitalised cases there were 3000+ recorded cases at the end of March and spin on to now where there is testing (albeit limited by lab capacity and general administrative disorganisation) and we are not yet finding quite as many as in March, then one can surmise that the actual number of infections per 100, per 1000, per 100,000 was far higher at the end of March than it is now and that the virus had spread far more widely around the population back then than the actual figures recorded.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 15, 2020, 10:14:12 PM
All these are recorded infections. If we go from the premise that with hardly any testing outside hospitalised cases there were 3000+ recorded cases at the end of March and spin on to now where there is testing (albeit limited by lab capacity and general administrative disorganisation) and we are not yet finding quite as many as in March, then one can surmise that the actual number of infections per 100, per 1000, per 100,000 was far higher at the end of March than it is now and that the virus had spread far more widely around the population back then than the actual figures recorded.

Is this how Bernie can still win? Is this how the exit poll is wrong? Does this look bad for Crobbins?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 15, 2020, 10:14:12 PM

whistling in the wind, friend, as everything is FUCKED.

Alberon

Wasn't it said somewhere that infections back at the start could have been as high as 100,000 a day?

Hospitalisations and intensive care cases are creeping back up but we are, at the moment, still a distance away from the disaster of April and May.

Though with the utter shambles of the testing programme and Track and Trace being a smoking hole in the ground I can't see anything between us now and a proper second wave in the near future.

Let the fuckwits party and put yourself in as much of a personal lockdown as you can.