Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:28:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Surprisingly funny films

Started by Custard, September 16, 2020, 09:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

I think I've mentioned it before on here, but Scary Movie 2 really makes me laugh a lot. Mainly the disgusting dinner scene, and Chris Elliott's character and performance in general

Not Another Teen Movie should be bobbins, but it is properly funny throughout, with a great cast clearly having a hoot. The kissing the old lady scene is revolting, mind. The saliva dripping off. Bleurrrgghhgh. Mia Kirshner is a huge sport for doing it, mind

The Green Lantern, the one with Seth Rogan, should be horrible, but there's a fight scene in it that I was belly laughing at. Really took me by surprise

The Three Stooges film by the Farrelly brothers is another that I really giggled at. Though admittedly I'm not too familiar with the proper Three Stooges, so I'm not sure if all the good stuff came directly from their work. I enjoyed it a lot though. Larry David being in it as a nun is just the surreal cherry on the top

Any films or scenes that took you by surprise by how funny they were?

zomgmouse

Dangerous Liaisons. Went in expecting a High Historic Drama but was floored by the humour and frolicking.

Puce Moment

The Human Centipede 3 has LOL scenes throughout - a brilliant comedy in the tradition of Buñuel.

I mean, the Governor of the prison has a glass treat jar on his desk filled not with jelly beans but instead
Spoiler alert
female circumcision jerky
[close]

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The films leading up to it had the odd joke here and there, but I remember the first Avengers film had the audience roaring with laughter throughout.

TheMonk

Quote from: Puce Moment on September 16, 2020, 11:59:50 AM
The Human Centipede 3 has LOL scenes throughout - a brilliant comedy in the tradition of Buñuel.

I mean, the Governor of the prison has a glass treat jar on his desk filled not with jelly beans but instead
Spoiler alert
female circumcision jerky
[close]

Glebe

Extremely silly sci-fi comedy The Creature Wasn't Nice features some deliberately-stilted acting from Leslie Neilsen, Patrick Macnee et al. I remember the cover of it in the local video shop as a kid (under the title Spaceship, it was also known as Naked Space) frightening me, actually.

The Naked Gun 2½ disappointed me initially, but repeat viewings over the years have proved extremely rewarding and it's actually possibly more gag-packed than the first one.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 16, 2020, 09:33:51 AM

Not Another Teen Movie should be bobbins, but it is properly funny throughout, with a great cast clearly having a hoot. The kissing the old lady scene is revolting, mind. The saliva dripping off. Bleurrrgghhgh. Mia Kirshner is a huge sport for doing it, mind

The Green Lantern, the one with Seth Rogan, should be horrible, but there's a fight scene in it that I was belly laughing at. Really took me by surprise

Yes to the first one. Shame it's title lumps it in with the fuck awful 'Date Move' and it's ilk. It's much better.

The second one, do you mean 'The Green Hornet'?

Famous Mortimer

Fired Up, a fairly unloved 2009 "horny guys go to cheerleader camp" movie, had me in stitches at certain points. Now, someone else I told this story to watched and said it was shit, so your mileage may definitely vary.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 16, 2020, 09:33:51 AMNot Another Teen Movie should be bobbins, but it is properly funny throughout, with a great cast clearly having a hoot.

Yeah I'd agree with this. I liked it when I was 14 or so, obviously, but was surprised to see how well it's held up recently (as far as comedic value goes, anyway, I don't know how well the references would read to younger generations).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Glebe on September 16, 2020, 03:14:40 PM
Extremely silly sci-fi comedy The Creature Wasn't Nice features some deliberately-stilted acting from Leslie Neilsen, Patrick Macnee et al. I remember the cover of it in the local video shop as a kid (under the title Spaceship, it was also known as Naked Space) frightening me, actually.

I'm very fond of that, the creature's song and dance number is especially fun, and though an obvious gag the trailer for a very old Dirty Harry movie made me laugh. I'd recommend The First Nudie Musical from the same director, it has some slightly unneeded topless nudity but a lot of the time is a very silly and daft affair.

Glebe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 16, 2020, 06:10:49 PM
I'm very fond of that, the creature's song and dance number is especially fun, and though an obvious gag the trailer for a very old Dirty Harry movie made me laugh. I'd recommend The First Nudie Musical from the same director, it has some slightly unneeded topless nudity but a lot of the time is a very silly and daft affair.

Cheers SMBH, will keep an eye out for that!

Mister Six

Probably approaching this from the wrong angle as it's not a seemingly shit comedy that's funny, but a seemingly serious film that has lots of good intentional laughs in it. Still: Blindspotting.

A lot of the summaries lean on the fact that it's about a black guy who witnesses a white cop shoot a black man and struggles to deal with the aftermath, and that's true. But it's also a proper comedy too, with that larger-than-life atmosphere that Spike Lee likes to roll out. Lots of proper big comedy moments alongside the tense psychological stuff.

https://youtu.be/sl0cJAXBUTk

"Mmmhmm, always a twist!"

https://youtu.be/bq_jwtLFyq4

"It's like a white person's wet dream."

That's Daveed Diggs from Clipping spectating there - he co-wrote the movie along with the white dude.

Shaky

Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo is surely the pinnacle of this. Starring bargain basement Sandler Rob Schneider, it has no right being as funny as it is.

Bronzy

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 16, 2020, 09:33:51 AM

I was surprised that she was willing to do it as well, and then I found out she went out with Sam Shepard for a while (2014-2015), who was 70 at the time and over 30 years her senior.

Gave me a slightly new perspective for that scene.

Custard

Quote from: Gulftastic on September 16, 2020, 03:44:13 PM
Yes to the first one. Shame it's title lumps it in with the fuck awful 'Date Move' and it's ilk. It's much better.

The second one, do you mean 'The Green Hornet'?

Heh yeah, that's the one I meant!

Quote from: Bronzy on September 17, 2020, 04:44:37 AM
I was surprised that she was willing to do it as well, and then I found out she went out with Sam Shepard for a while (2014-2015), who was 70 at the time and over 30 years her senior.

Gave me a slightly new perspective for that scene.

Oof. Well that explains that!

Famous Mortimer

"Not Another Teen Movie" is also (unless I'm missing one) the only movie Joel Gallen ever directed - the rest of his career appears to be as a TV producer and director (he did the "Historical Roasts" from last year). The only writer with any big credit is Phil Beauman, who was one of the writers on "Scary Movie" and was a regular Wayans family writer...not an obvious reason why it's so good, though.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Shaky on September 17, 2020, 04:27:15 AM
Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo is surely the pinnacle of this. Starring bargain basement Sandler Rob Schneider, it has no right being as funny as it is.

I have to say I enjoyed the sequel too, particularly when Deuce's pimp was talking about all the great things the Dutch had given the world and Deuce reminds him about slavery: "THE MOTHERFUCKERS!"

sevendaughters

The Falls by Peter Greenaway. On paper it looks to be a tedious 3hr experiment in style. In reality it's a really well-written comedy with callbacks, visual jokes, ironic discontinuities, and deadpan.

TheMonk

I think the first Paul Blart is genuinely very funny

frajer

21 Jump Street, which I thought was at best going to be mildly diverting for 90 mins but I ended up laughing my arse off at. Channing Tatum high off his nut in the music room shouldn't be as funny as it is.

bomb_dog

Office Christmas Party looked appalling when I saw the tv trailer, but found I actually really enjoyed it. Jason Bateman, Rachel Coffee Friends, lots of silliness. Looking forward to watching it again nearer Christmas - hopefully it'll be on Film4 again.

phantom_power

Quote from: bomb_dog on September 18, 2020, 09:54:33 AM
Office Christmas Party looked appalling when I saw the tv trailer, but found I actually really enjoyed it. Jason Bateman, Rachel Coffee Friends, lots of silliness. Looking forward to watching it again nearer Christmas - hopefully it'll be on Film4 again.

Yeah I remember enjoying that as well. There are a few comedies like that lately that look shit but end up being pretty funny. I would add Game Night and Tag to that list as well

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on September 18, 2020, 05:34:39 AM
I think the first Paul Blart is genuinely very funny

I didn't think it was very funny, but I thought it was genuinely quite sweet and good-natured so I kind of liked it.

samadriel

MacGruber was flawed, but much funnier than I expected. The scene where he
Spoiler alert
has sex with Maya Rudolph's ghost
[close]
will never leave me.

Blinder Data

Nativity! is very silly and a bit ragged round the edges but loads of fun. Stick it on at Christmas and it'll have the whole family roaring with laughter (and crying at the end). I thought it was gonna be your typical rubs British comedy film but was very pleasantly surprised.

I've not seen the sequels but I understand they actually are rubs.

Kelvin

American Psycho. I mean it's obviously a satirical comedy,  but both in comparison to the book, and other films about serial killers, it's really funny.

lipsink

Schlinder's List has loads of pretty funny bits in it. The first half hour has lots of light, silly moments (the secretary montage) and even when it gets seriously dark there's some truly black humour in there: the execution attempt with none of their guns working and the stolen chicken scene.

Thomas

Quote from: Kelvin on September 18, 2020, 04:18:11 PM
American Psycho. I mean it's obviously a satirical comedy,  but both in comparison to the book, and other films about serial killers, it's really funny.

Rewatched this the other night, and did find myself laughing quite a few times. Obviously, there's the famous business card scene, but there are plenty of other moments.

'Who's Ted Bundy?'
:/

Bale performs his pre-murder Huey Lewis ritual brilliantly. Little shimmy after buttoning up his raincoat. 'Try getting a reservation at Dorsia now, you fucking stupid bastard!'

Puce Moment

Running around in his ysers and white socks with a chainsaw. Top level comedy.