Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:17:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jim Davidson in Racist Rant Shocker

Started by Flouncer, September 16, 2020, 06:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: Ray Travez on September 17, 2020, 12:44:44 AM
Me too. I'm beginning to lose some of the respect I had for him.

Conversely, I have as much respect for him now as I ever did.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

He's old, he'll be dead soo-

66 years old?!

oh god he's going to live forever isn't he

powered by his own seething hatred

FredNurke

Quote from: non capisco on September 17, 2020, 12:50:04 AM
Nothing has made me more proud to come from Dartford than that child at a pantomime at the Orchard Theatre who answered Jim Davidson's line "Don't you know who I am?!' with "Yeah, you're a fucking wanker." Jagger meeting Richards > that heckle. And I love the Rolling Stones.

Yeah, me too.

Ferris

wrec

Quote from: bomb_dog on September 17, 2020, 12:31:14 AM
Had to look it up - didn't take long. It's just...there... a poor 'impression' singing, then a few spoken lines over the middle eight, then a kids choir. https://youtu.be/J5QH5MyBCPI

Comments below it include people remembering seeing it on Tiswas and TOTP. Plus the usual 'he's not racist and PC has gone too far' comments

I've fallen down the Davidson discography wormhole
https://www.discogs.com/artist/694025-Jim-Davidson

Turns out Maggie isn't a rousing pro-Tory anthem but (oddly) the folk song probably best known in its Fureys and Foster & Allen renditions. Can't deny my morbid curiosity about Much Too Late For That (The Nagging Woman Song).

I saw a standup show of his on telly, sometime in the late 90s or early 2000s I think. It was kind of fascinating in that it had the structure of standup but a complete absence of jokes. There was a long section that was just a humourless misogynist rant. The only part I clearly remember is him describing having bought an expensive new stereo system, and his wife insisting on placing the speakers together because they looked better that way. He didn't even attempt to spin it into a comic routine, it was just a rant about how thick and non-audiophile his wife was, and it was too banal to even be fictional. Like a worst-case scenario amalgam of Roy Chubby Brown and late period Lenny Bruce.

Menu

Quote from: Glebe on September 16, 2020, 09:08:30 PM
Really disappointed in Davidson over this.

Exactly. What do all the geniuses on social media think they're achieving with their perfectly-crafted zingers? What do anti-racists think will occur by screaming abuse at him? To engage with him - in any way - only means he'll do it again. He wants the outrage. He wants to energise other racists by saying he's being attacked for 'just speaking my 'mind'.

IGNORE HIM, as Alan Partridge brilliantly demanded of the shit Tory MP. Mute him, consciously ignore any coverage, and just get on with doing something you love or that brings you joy. That will make him, and cunts like him, wither and die. Look at Milo. Look at Glinner. Look at Katie Hopkins. Please just ignore these cunts.

(I'm not talking about on here btw. I mean on social media or by clicking the links on news websites. And, fortunately, to do this is is not only healthier. It's easier.)

SpiderChrist

I've just remembered that my brother did some work at his house some years back (he was then an engineer installing Bang & Olufsen kit) and Davidson was so fucking unpleasant that he and his colleague walked off the job. This was followed by an apologetic phone call to my bro by Davidson to try and get him back to finish the job. Didn't work.

Sadly this video has got exactly the reaction the cunt wanted. More culture war bullshit.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Blumf on September 16, 2020, 08:58:29 PM
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/film-tv/a33954970/watch-tracee-ellis-ross-golden-girls-remake/
I think Mr Davidson has got a bit ahead of himself there.

They're all about 10 years too young. I bet that's what has narked Mr Davidson about this reboot of the seminal "film".

jobotic

Quote from: non capisco on September 17, 2020, 12:50:04 AM
Nothing has made me more proud to come from Dartford than that child at a pantomime at the Orchard Theatre who answered Jim Davidson's line "Don't you know who I am?!' with "Yeah, you're a fucking wanker." Jagger meeting Richards > that heckle. And I love the Rolling Stones.

I saw Bo Diddley there, when I was about ten. Supported by Jim Davidson.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: mippy on September 16, 2020, 06:46:57 PM
Surprised he even knows the term BAME, given that he complained in an interview about a visit from a 'female taxman'.

Entirely characteristic of Davidson that in this latest whinge, he complained "Gemma's sister is not holding up a banner as she was violently mugged by three black men", without bothering to explain who Gemma might be, just as when his "exciting podcast" of a few years back, which he described as "blogs", included endless references to the mysterious "doosny bombs". Nearly thirty years ago, it was also typical that when doing his inevitable "entertaining the troops" during the first Gulf War, he opined to Gloria Hunniford on Radio 2 that "I'd like to see some of ver alternative lads" doing the same, as a lot of the soldiers were only 19 or 20 and would like to see performers around the same age, as he himself had started doing such shows when Our Boys couldn't relate to Harry Secombe. Apart from the fact that none of "ver alternative lads" were really around 19 or 20, the fact that the (then) practitioners of alternative comedy might have had ideological objections to performing for such audiences clearly hadn't occurred to him.

thenoise

I cant think of any better example of 'white male privilege' than Are Jim. He was everywhere on tv in the 90s (while coincidentally being worshipful master of the Westminster Freeman's lodge that a load of celebs go to). And then do all those gigs for the army (shortly after by complete coincidence founding the British forces Lodge of which he was also worshipful master).

Has there ever been a black person on TV with as little talent as Davidson? Or even only twice as much?

ASFTSN

Quote from: badaids on September 16, 2020, 06:59:19 PM
I don't know what is more horrible, the Neanderthal views and lack of empathy, compassion and understanding, or the realisation that my mother looks exactly - like identical - to Jim Davidson.

My sincere condolences

dissolute ocelot

I'm not sure if anyone has written a detailed history of entertaining the troops in recent years. In 1999 Jim Davidson was concerned our troops weren't getting much fun and got the The British Forces Foundation set up to provide better quality entertainment to troops. He was chairman, while the president was that noted comedy lover Margaret Thatcher, and Prince Charles (who apparently gets on quite well with troops considering) was patron. There's a list of shows from 2000 to 2011 in an appendix here. Acts included: Jim Davidson A LOT, Jimmy Carr (in UK only), and a bunch of less well known comic performers: Clive Cooper, Roger Kitter (Captain Alberto Bertorelli in 'Allo 'Allo!), Simon Evan, Craig Campbell, Kev Orkian (British-Armenian musical comedy). Comedy Store has apparently provided performers to Afghanistan in the 2010s, although transport is a bit of a nightmare, doubtless hilariously.

They get a slightly more impressive range of musical acts, even though most of it seems far from the interests of a typical squaddie: S Club 7, Atomic Kitten, Steps, The Saturdays, Geri Halliwell, Katherine Jenkins, Myleene Klass, Emma Bunton, The Jones Gang (aging rockers), Heather Small, Chas n Dave, Spike Edney, Graham Gouldman, Tim Westwood, Friederike Krum (soprano).

Another interesting fact is that British troops returning from war are given "decompression" entertainment shows to help adjust to normal life; in 2002 they got Jim Davidson, the Jones Gang, Roger Kitter, and Mama Said, in Arbroath. Awesome.

SavageHedgehog

I remember reading a post on IMDB from a squadie who thanked Jim for the show he put on for them, which included "a really fit girlie band and a Chubby Brown tribute act" .

Flouncer

Quote from: Jake Thingray on September 17, 2020, 09:10:54 AM
Entirely characteristic of Davidson that in this latest whinge, he complained "Gemma's sister is not holding up a banner as she was violently mugged by three black men", without bothering to explain who Gemma might be, just as when his "exciting podcast" of a few years back, which he described as "blogs", included endless references to the mysterious "doosny bombs". Nearly thirty years ago, it was also typical that when doing his inevitable "entertaining the troops" during the first Gulf War, he opined to Gloria Hunniford on Radio 2 that "I'd like to see some of ver alternative lads" doing the same, as a lot of the soldiers were only 19 or 20 and would like to see performers around the same age, as he himself had started doing such shows when Our Boys couldn't relate to Harry Secombe. Apart from the fact that none of "ver alternative lads" were really around 19 or 20, the fact that the (then) practitioners of alternative comedy might have had ideological objections to performing for such audiences clearly hadn't occurred to him.

His whingeing about the alternative comics stinks of the sort of thing thick racist cunts come up with to try and inject some emotional capital into their arguments. Something they don't remotely give a shit about but they think it'll add some weight to what they're saying whilst at the same time pointing the finger at some cunt they don't like. The ARE GEMMA thing as well, you can almost hear the cogs lethargically creaking around in his mincemeat brain: he thinks he's just come up with some damning, argument-winning piece of evidence that's going to settle the matter once and for all. In reality he's just farted out some malformed excuse for an idea that, aside from being completely irrelevant, doesn't even make sense to anybody other than himself. You can see why the gammon community salt of the earth British public respond so well to him. He's one of them in every conceivable way.

Quote from: SpiderChrist on September 17, 2020, 06:49:22 AM
I've just remembered that my brother did some work at his house some years back (he was then an engineer installing Bang & Olufsen kit) and Davidson was so fucking unpleasant that he and his colleague walked off the job. This was followed by an apologetic phone call to my bro by Davidson to try and get him back to finish the job. Didn't work.

Quote from: wrec on September 17, 2020, 01:49:52 AMThere was a long section that was just a humourless misogynist rant. The only part I clearly remember is him describing having bought an expensive new stereo system, and his wife insisting on placing the speakers together because they looked better that way. He didn't even attempt to spin it into a comic routine, it was just a rant about how thick and non-audiophile his wife was, and it was too banal to even be fictional.

Fucking hell, all that expensive gear just so he can play Timepieces: The Best of Eric Clapton for an hour on a Sunday morning, more to annoy the neighbours than to actually listen to it.

Jake Thingray

The tragedy of the stupid cunt is that the old school Light Entertainment establishment indulged him when he was young, called him the next Max Miller and implied he'd have a similarly lengthy career as a cheeky chappie, and he was clearly too thick, when he won New Faces, to look at Arthur Askey on the judging panel and realise one day he himself would be a relic. He can't understand people don't want his shit on television and haven't for years, just as he's amazed Emerson, Lake and Palmer don't command widespread popularity any more, something he blamed in one interview on Bob Geldof.

thenoise

Theres plenty enough Gammon that a cunt like him should have a steady career in right wing tabloid opinion pieces and providing the 'opposing' view on BBC news.

Trouble is, he's a womanising wife beating cunt, is unfunny and charmless, even by the standards of right wing cunts. Jeremy Clarkson shows him the right way. Until he lamped an employee for no reason, that is.

robhug

This outburst does Davidson no favours.

Gurke and Hare

Gulftastic

Quote from: thenoise on September 17, 2020, 01:36:59 PM
Theres plenty enough Gammon that a cunt like him should have a steady career in right wing tabloid opinion pieces and providing the 'opposing' view on BBC news.

Trouble is, he's a womanising wife beating cunt, is unfunny and charmless, even by the standards of right wing cunts. Jeremy Clarkson shows him the right way. Until he lamped an employee for no reason, that is.

He had two reasons. He was peckish and he's a racist.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 17, 2020, 02:08:37 PM
Christ.

There's always a chance that post could have been a wind up, but such things certainly do exist.

jobotic

Slating Jim Davidson is leftie iconoclasm. Harsher criticisms could be made about the prophet Mohammed and it feels to me like those who would be willing to cancel Davidson would recoil from criticism of Mohammed.

thenoise

If my Dad made me watch half an hour of Mohammed every Saturday night I'd probably feel a bit more strongly about him.

jobotic

If I die for Jim will I be rewarded with 72 Virgos?

finnquark

I'm actually reading Jim's 1993 autobiography The Full Monty at the minute. It's what you'd expect. The man is a chimp.

the science eel

Quote from: Jake Thingray on September 17, 2020, 01:12:26 PM
...he's amazed Emerson, Lake and Palmer don't command widespread popularity any more, something he blamed in one interview on Bob Geldof.

Ha ha ha!! Is that true?

g0m

It's just like they say - it's occasionally the ones you least suspect

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: thenoise on September 17, 2020, 09:23:12 AM
Has there ever been a black person on TV with as little talent as Davidson? Or even only twice as much?
Oh black people get on TV just by showing up and being black, everything hadned to them, po;jica; corresness gojoi;ohu;o'V;iiviov sdvjsidvjsibjsibh

Quote from: thenoise on September 17, 2020, 01:36:59 PM
Jeremy Clarkson shows him the right way. Until he lamped an employee for no reason, that is.
and yet the pigfucker is never off the air

Glebe

I'm gonna be a racist cunt, racist cunt, tonight.