Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:56:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jim Davidson in Racist Rant Shocker

Started by Flouncer, September 16, 2020, 06:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bleeding Kansas

Quote from: finnquark on September 17, 2020, 05:47:00 PM
I'm actually reading Jim's 1993 autobiography The Full Monty at the minute. It's what you'd expect. The man is a chimp.

There's also a 2002 autobiography:

QuoteThe Prince of Wales has always been a bit of a hero to me. I like him as a man, not just as my Prince. He turned up and played a few games of polo for us at the Foundation.
And now I'd been invited to spend the night at Highgrove as his guest. But they say there's no such thing as a free lunch, and certainly, there is no such thing as a free night at Highgrove.
It was all Jethro's fault really. Jethro is one of my favourite comedians in the world. Actually, I have two - one is Bradley Walsh and the other is Jethro.

Fascinating.

Petey Pate

Whatever happened to Jim Davidson's podcast?  I suppose he figured out that YouTube generates more attention.

http://blog.jimdavidson.org.uk/2013/11/podcast-episode-1/

Sin Agog

Not surprised that his son Pete Davidson has mental health problems after growing up with a dad like that.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: the science eel on September 17, 2020, 05:59:48 PM
Ha ha ha!! Is that true?

He really did say that, in an interview on an Australian blog, here's the relevant bit;

<<<And the other thing is, comedy changed overnight when Ben Elton turned up. Like the music. You know how there was Pink Floyd and Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Led Zeppelin and all that stuff that old boys love, and then suddenly, overnight, bang! Bob  Geldof appeared. At the same time, Ben Elton appeared on the comedy scene, which proved to everybody you could be a stand-up comic without being funny, and political correctness wiped out everything that everybody had been doing oh fuck off cont'd p.94 zzzz>>>

gilbertharding

He's right though. You never, ever hear about Led Zeppelin these days, do you? And yet Bob Geldof is everywhere.

Blumf

phantom_power

Imagine being so out of touch with popular culture that you think that Geldof appeared out of nowhere and revolutionised popular culture. At least with Ben Elton he had a bit of a point as Elton was pretty much the face of lefty alternative comedy (not ignoring that there were loads of others, obv)

Dr Rock

QuoteJIM DAVIDSON: I think there is, but there's a great hatred of the old comics by the new comics. The new comics say, 'we write our own stuff, we're not racist, sexist, homophobic, and all you lot are!' And they say that without any recourse to do so, because it's silly. A laugh is a laugh.

From the same interview. That happened in 2010. The height of Little Britain times. He's like a lost Japanese soldier who doesn't realise the war finished decades ago.

[reads more of the interview]

Jesus Christ.

Brundle-Fly

It seemed he was almost, almost turning a corner ten years ago by addressing his bigotry in a play he wrote.

The promo is priceless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?

Guardian review
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2011/mar/07/stand-up-be-counted-review

thenoise

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 18, 2020, 01:02:41 PM
From the same interview. That happened in 2010. The height of Little Britain times. He's like a lost Japanese soldier who doesn't realise the war finished decades ago.

[reads more of the interview]

Jesus Christ.

And Are Jim's heyday was in the mid 90s wasn't it? By which time Elton and his chums had either moved on or were producing centrist/non political stuff anyway. I doubt the anti-Thatcher brigade put much of a damper on Jim's career,if anything he was able to ride the backlash and secure top light entertainment gigs despite his lack of talent,charisma or likeability.

mrspangles

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 18, 2020, 01:05:36 PM
It seemed he was almost, almost turning a corner ten years ago by addressing his bigotry in a play he wrote.

The promo is priceless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?

Guardian review
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2011/mar/07/stand-up-be-counted-review

I thought this play looked quite interesting, was certainly considering going at the time...

I genuinely think there's much more to JD - he has shown contrition and remorse for his attitudes and behaviours but it's like he can't help himself. He seems to have empathy and insight into his bigotry but can't seem to ever resolve it. Think he  wears a lot of guilt on his shoulders.

But then again, it didn't work. I thought when he won Big Brother on Channel 5 he was going to reinvent himself as one of their 'personalities', doing travelogues and low rent reality telly that no one would really care about like Tarrant. But that didn't work - hence he's probably going for the outrageous RW position as it's a la mode and 'Laurence Fox'

SavageHedgehog

Weird to think how (relatively) recent that Big Brother win was, and how quickly he pissed away any good will it brought him, and now it's like it never happened at all.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: thenoise on September 18, 2020, 01:26:47 PM
And Are Jim's heyday was in the mid 90s wasn't it? By which time Elton and his chums had either moved on or were producing centrist/non political stuff anyway. I doubt the anti-Thatcher brigade put much of a damper on Jim's career,if anything he was able to ride the backlash and secure top light entertainment gigs despite his lack of talent,charisma or likeability.

Well, he's not going to appear particulary talented, charismatic, or likable to you, me, and other likeminded viewers; Dave Allen he ain't, but Davidson did have all those attributes fo the wider public back then and it would be dishonest to suggest otherwise. Alexei Sayle or Jo Brand were never going to host The Generation Game in 1995.

mrspangles

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on September 18, 2020, 02:11:51 PM
Weird to think how (relatively) recent that Big Brother win was, and how quickly he pissed away any good will it brought him, and now it's like it never happened at all.

Didn't even get a call from Celebrity Five go Caravanning.

He did get a short lived recurring role on O'Brien, the largely forgotten Loose Women/Jeremy Kyle alternative featuring the erstwhile James of LBC fame. The 'token woke', ie the one who isn't a vicious right wing psychopath,

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 18, 2020, 02:22:54 PM
Well, he's not going to appear particulary talented, charismatic, or likable to you, me, and other likeminded viewers; Dave Allen he ain't, but Davidson did have all those attributes fo the wider public back then and it would be dishonest to suggest otherwise. Alexei Sayle or Jo Brand were never going to host The Generation Game in 1995.
Good. Fuck the Generation Game.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 18, 2020, 02:22:54 PM

Brundle-Fly

Davidson saw how many complaints BGT received and seized his chance, didn't he?

Gurke and Hare

I really want to see Alexei Sayle presenting The Generation Game now.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 17, 2020, 02:08:37 PM
Quote from: SavageHedgehog on September 17, 2020, 12:17:44 PM
I remember reading a post on IMDB from a squadie who thanked Jim for the show he put on for them, which included "a really fit girlie band and a Chubby Brown tribute act" .
Christ.

I thought that's what Kevin 'Bloody' Wilson was.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on September 17, 2020, 04:09:42 PM
There's always a chance that post could have been a wind up, but such things certainly do exist.

I can kind of understand Chubby fans paying to see a Chubby tribute act, as depressing as that sounds, but who on earth is going to buy the DVD? 

Ferris

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on September 18, 2020, 04:37:51 PM
I can kind of understand Chubby fans paying to see a Chubby tribute act, as depressing as that sounds, but who on earth is going to buy the DVD? 

People without access to petrol station 99p VHS bins.

SavageHedgehog

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 18, 2020, 03:43:45 PM
I really want to see Alexei Sayle presenting The Generation Game now.

"Shite to see you, to see you, shite!"

paruses

Nothing against him having a go at it but I can't imagine Adam Hart-Davis is able to do the voice.

Flouncer

Quote from: paruses on September 18, 2020, 07:45:56 PM
Nothing against him having a go at it but I can't imagine Adam Hart-Davis is able to do the voice.

The cruel irony is that a Chubbs substitute is only required because Royston Vasey is presenting a reboot of Local Heroes on BBC2. You've got to take what work you can get these days.

McFlymo

That's dad's Christmas gift sorted.

Sebastian Cobb

Howling at the 'fully endorsed by Roy Chubby Brown' as if it's a seal of quality, rather than either something you should be ashamed of or something a mediocre standup would put on their fringe poster.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Is there any situation in which Royston would not endorse a tribute act? He doesn't seem like someone with any concept of quality control.