Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:08:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kanye pisses on grammy award, tweets video of it

Started by The Mollusk, September 16, 2020, 08:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

https://mobile.twitter.com/kanyewest/status/1306280073209589760?s=21

Nearly 400k likes in just 2 hours. Woo, mental health! Man that shit is funny. What a spectacle. Twitter is a fucking cesspool.

What is this regarding, anyone know? I am stoned and I cannot be fucked to find out.

Noodle Lizard

General dissatisfaction with the music industry, it seems, going by his other tweets from today. He's been calling the practices of labels "modern day slavery" and sharing exhaustive images of label contract agreements, contracts etc., which surely must be falling foul of something or other written within them.

shagatha crustie

He's going to be sued for sharing all those contract screen grabs surely. What good can come of this?

Also tweeted a hoodie design - 'Kim is my lawyer'

bgmnts

This is what happens when divs are exposed to so much money and fame.

The Mollusk

Quote from: bgmnts on September 16, 2020, 11:05:31 PM
This is what happens when divs are exposed to so much money and fame.

Rather narrow-minded of you. I'd like to think that my own personal take on this is fuelled not too much by the fact that a close friend of mine is currently having severe problems with their personal life due to their recent diagnosis with bipolar disorder; Rather, it is spurred by the common sense that, societally, we are becoming increasingly aware that overlooking mental health obstacles which pervade the lives of others in favour of calling them "divs" and blaming their external influences and factors is highly problematic and contributes consistently to the exacerbation of those issues in the minds of those who deserve more compassion and understanding and less reactionary armchair psychology.

Kanye's fame plays a significant role in his unhinged personality but I have absolutely zero doubt in my mind that if his condition had been diagnosed at a younger age then his future would have played out a lot differently. Would he have enjoyed the same success, had his erraticisms long since been reigned in by medication and therapy? Maybe not. Would he be far less prone to manic episodes and more likely to be living a more balanced, happy existence? That's a lot more likely. But of course it's much easier to just point at the freak.

Noodle Lizard

It could well be pure mental illness, but I wouldn't totally ignore the possibility that it's at least partly him fucking around, the same way a lot of "eccentric" famous people have done (e.g. Prince, who he posted a photo of just before, but Elon Musk is probably a better contemporary equivalent to what I'm talking about re: Twitter outbursts[nb]I hate to say it, but there's more than a little semblance of Trump's Twitter in there too[/nb]). It's also impossible for any of us to say, I suppose.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

There isn't anything to suggest bgmts overlooked or failed to consider mental health obstacles. It was hardly intended as a psychological report, just an off-hand remark you can't really read that much into.

That explicit recognition wasn't made doesn't mean he or the average person isn't probably already aware. Can a 'div' also be mentally ill, and a mentally ill person be a div? Yes... where do the two aspects begin and end? Whatever is the answer, both behaviours are subject to environmental factors. It is entirely reasonable to speculate that assembling untold wealth, acclaim and status while becoming ever more detached from ordinary people and events is deleterious for mental health whatever someone's existing mental state and provokes anti-social behaviour whether or not the person was already a bit of a dickhead because there's evidence spanning the whole record of human civilisation that's true. There are maxims on the subject that cross cultures and centuries. It's also entirely reasonable to speculate because that's all this topic is really inviting anyone to do.

This is where a dollop of good faith goes missing these days. Unless you caveat everything to the nth (which certain people, - not you nags, I hasten to add - don't even bother reading if it surpasses a few lines worth of text) too many tend to default to the worst possible interpretation

As for showing compassion? Who's to say he doesn't feel compassion? There isn't enough there to go on. Also, why is there a need to display it? And why is there a need on this particular forum? Are we among hundreds of major label artists? Shouldn't we just assume implicitly people are capable of feeling and expressing it without having to formally display it with practiced etiquette in every conceivable scenario like a strutting peacock? It's an internet forum, not a Georgian dinner dance. There will be off-hand, incomplete, sketchy comments made, and even years of reading people's posts can impart only a fragment of their true personality and intentions.

BeardFaceMan

It's possible to be mentally ill and a bit of a prick, the former doesn't always excuse/explain the latter.

bgmnts

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 17, 2020, 12:00:59 AM
Rather narrow-minded of you. I'd like to think that my own personal take on this is fuelled not too much by the fact that a close friend of mine is currently having severe problems with their personal life due to their recent diagnosis with bipolar disorder; Rather, it is spurred by the common sense that, societally, we are becoming increasingly aware that overlooking mental health obstacles which pervade the lives of others in favour of calling them "divs" and blaming their external influences and factors is highly problematic and contributes consistently to the exacerbation of those issues in the minds of those who deserve more compassion and understanding and less reactionary armchair psychology.

Kanye's fame plays a significant role in his unhinged personality but I have absolutely zero doubt in my mind that if his condition had been diagnosed at a younger age then his future would have played out a lot differently. Would he have enjoyed the same success, had his erraticisms long since been reigned in by medication and therapy? Maybe not. Would he be far less prone to manic episodes and more likely to be living a more balanced, happy existence? That's a lot more likely. But of course it's much easier to just point at the freak.

I mean, as someone with mental illness I obviously think he should get the support he needs. My compassion is reserved for those less fortunate though, i'm narrow minded in that way. It's also possible to be mentally ill and be a complete div, e.g Linehan, I wish people recognised that. If we got to a point in our society where all of our behaviour was excused by mental illness or personality disorders rather than choices we make, we're kind of fucked no?

jobotic

Excuse me, I hate to interrupt, but is this the Georgian dinner dance? Hope I'm not late.

The Mollusk

Apologies, my post was quite chest-prodding. I have a lot on my mind recently (especially with the aforementioned friend struggling enormously and trying to help her), which definitely did come through too strongly in what I said. I am a raging ball of emotions at the moment.

Quote from: bgmnts on September 17, 2020, 09:25:36 AM
I mean, as someone with mental illness I obviously think he should get the support he needs. My compassion is reserved for those less fortunate though, i'm narrow minded in that way. It's also possible to be mentally ill and be a complete div, e.g Linehan, I wish people recognised that. If we got to a point in our society where all of our behaviour was excused by mental illness or personality disorders rather than choices we make, we're kind of fucked no?

My point was that, despite me agreeing with and being fully aware of the points that have been raised by yourself and others in this thread, on the whole I don't think those dismissive comments are helpful at all, despite them holding some truth. Of course I acknowledge that this isn't Twitter and on CaB we (largely) know better, but if it was Twitter, comments like that would be very hotly debated from both sides, which is a mess that doesn't really need to exist spawned from a comment that, regardless of where it's posted, is kinda frustrating in that it isn't particularly helpful or even glibly funny.

bgmnts

Well I'm not particularly helpful or funny, I just say what I feel like saying that nobody really should read much into, as SS says. But fair enough. I'm also not on Twitter and that's mostly why.
I hope your friend gets the help she needs.

Cuellar

ASFTSN

I don't think I'd recognise Kanye if I walked past him pissing on his grammy in the street. He's just a name I see people talk about with varying degrees of irony/disbelief on the internet. And why yes I am incredibly cool and detached from the zeitgeist thank you for noticing.

Malcy

Kanye used to just be a name in liner notes who produced tracks for a range of artists then he just started popping up everywhere and getting more and more annoying and egotistical. He's not getting the help he needs and it seems no one around him from his family to all the artists he's close to are doing anything about it when it's obvious he has mental health issues that are only going to get worse if they aren't managed.

He seems to be annoyed about not owning his masters. He knew fine well going into a record contract that he wouldn't. This is just his latest episode/attention seek.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Malcy on September 17, 2020, 10:23:52 AM
He seems to be annoyed about not owning his masters. He knew fine well going into a record contract that he wouldn't. This is just his latest episode/attention seek.
Yep, as far as stuff he's gotten wound up about it's on the better side of things at least, asides from the mad MJ/Cosby stuff that he keeps going back to.

Must say I kind of dread the idea of him getting his hands on them though, is he gonna start redoing all his albums?

Sebastian Cobb

Brundle-Fly

Reminds me of Brian Harvey from East 17  a few years ago smashing up all his gold discs in some alleyway in Walthamstow. He clearly suffers from mental health issues and I've always felt slightly sorry for him because everybody just laughs at his misfortune(s). As John Lydon said about Keith Flint, "Nobody in the industry looked after him." Harvey really was chewed up and spat out.

turnstyle

Ok, but what did he do after he filmed it? Fish it back out with a coat hanger and give it a rinse in the sink? Let his cleaner deal with it? Naughty poop in the open horn?

Shit Good Nose

Jealous of that strong and confident stream of piss.  I bet he has no problem at public urinals.

sevendaughters

evilcommiedictator

And I thought the pee tape involving a presidential candidate would never come out!

The Mollusk

JaDanketies

Afaik Kanye has a point about record labels ripping off artists. And with Spotify, Amazon Music and other streaming services also ripping off artists, too; it's probably just as hard to make a living as a musician as it ever has been. And just like all the other unfair things in the world, it doesn't have to be like this. It is good that a rich and successful musician is drawing attention to this, and I agree with him in that I hope Bono, Paul McCartney etc also make a statement about it.

It might be easy to ignore the exploitation in the industry if you are one of the lucky ones that make millions and fair play to Kanye that he isn't ignoring it.

jonbob

I'd want to see a negative drug test using that piss before saying this is mental illness

The Mollusk

Uhh, okay. Weird and offensive on a couple of levels there.

PaulTMA