Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:27:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PS5 Live Showcase

Started by Malcy, September 16, 2020, 09:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Forgot this was on today until it appeared in my Youtube recommended. Gameplay on at the moment but a bit pointless on a poor resolution stream if you're wanting to see the graphics. I'm going to wait and skim through it tomorrow but i'd assume they'll be announcing the price tonight as well.

bgmnts

Nothing huge for me so far. Demons Souls will get people moist.

Malcy

I assume that Playstation + thingy is like Game Pass?

bgmnts

Yeah I think so.

Much more expensive than Xbox as expected.

mobias

Pretty much the same price the PS3 was at launch. I'll end up going for the digital edition anyway. I didn't buy a single game on disc this generation and hardly watch DVD's or Blu-rays anymore.

Whether or not I even get one will be down to Sony's exclusives and I guess something like GTAVI coming to console first. All the action is on PC for me these days.

brat-sampson

I was thinking of using the disc drive version at least as a UHD movie player, but tbh I can't remember the last time I actually bought a film on disc and have only picked up like 4-5 games on disc all gen. Might just save the cash...

Thursday

Quote from: bgmnts on September 16, 2020, 09:45:31 PM
Yeah I think so.

Much more expensive than Xbox as expected.

Well... the top models are the same price. Obviously the budget option's a different thing but yeah.

bgmnts

Yeah sorry should have clarified. All in all the PS5 is probably better but that £250 price tag on the Xbox Series X S is my choice.

I've got over like 300 games on my xbox account, I cant bring myself to change consoles now.

However its worth noting that the PS5 digital model is the same specs as the base model, whereas the Series X S is downgraded with less memory etc.

So yeah, PS5 mullered Xbox here. I've had Xbox for like 18 years but would switch to Playstation if I could afford to amass a new library of games.

Bazooka

FF16 looks hot, really good.

Nothing that new in there, Spiderman vanilla was fun, but like most games a chore at the end with every combat experience being identical.

Talking about Bugsnax.

C_Larence

No Silent Hill/Silent Hills :(

Bazooka

Quote from: C_Larence on September 16, 2020, 11:26:21 PM
No Silent Hill/Silent Hills :(

It's not just sad for the franchise, but the genre is dead other than RE, I'm really hoping to see The Evil Within 3.

bgmnts

Alien Isolation and Soma gave me hope but yeah survival horror seems to be done, at least for now.

Urinal Cake

Why is everything so dark? FF looks fairly ambiguous.

Kelvin

Putting aside personnel taste and looking at big name series with a history of critical and commercial success, PlayStation really do have a remarkable launch year lineup ahead of them.

bgmnts

Quote from: Kelvin on September 17, 2020, 12:24:30 AM
Putting aside personnel taste and looking at big name series with a history of critical and commercial success, PlayStation really do have a remarkable launch year lineup ahead of them.

Only one new IP showcased though, that is disappointing.

Kelvin

Quote from: bgmnts on September 17, 2020, 12:28:26 AM
Only one new IP showcased though, that is disappointing.

They were pretty good for new IP last gen, werent they? They had Horizon, the zombie biker game, Death Stranding, Ghosts, Spiderman...

All 3rd person action/adventure games, though.

magval

Is the PS4 or Pro price likely to come down as a result of the 5 being priced/dated, and if it did, would it be before or after the release date?

Bazooka

Quote from: magval on September 17, 2020, 08:07:10 AM
Is the PS4 or Pro price likely to come down as a result of the 5 being priced/dated, and if it did, would it be before or after the release date?

Hard to say, a few games like Spiderman and Horizon ZD 2 and some others are going to be on PS4 also,offering free upgrades to PS5, so maybe some shops will sell some bundles at a lower price.

Thursday

Quote from: Bazooka on September 16, 2020, 11:30:00 PM
It's not just sad for the franchise, but the genre is dead other than RE, I'm really hoping to see The Evil Within 3.

Studio's working on Ghostwire: Tokyo. Looks to be horror themed but I don't think it'll have the right sort of atmosphere based on the footage shown.

Bazooka

I really like how that game looks though.

mobias

Quote from: bgmnts on September 16, 2020, 10:38:03 PM
Yeah sorry should have clarified. All in all the PS5 is probably better but that £250 price tag on the Xbox Series X S is my choice.

I was having Saturday night drinks with a mate of mine who works as a games programmer last weekend and he wasn't singing the Series S's praises. Developers are cursing Microsoft for going with it because it means games have to be made with the lower spec model in mind. There's more it can't do than MS are letting on by the sounds of things. 

bgmnts

Quote from: Kelvin on September 17, 2020, 01:07:34 AM
They were pretty good for new IP last gen, werent they? They had Horizon, the zombie biker game, Death Stranding, Ghosts, Spiderman...

All 3rd person action/adventure games, though.

They were, hence why i'm surprised and disappointed. I like sequels and remakes but I mostly want some new big games.

Apparently there have been big issues with the PS5 pre orders.

imitationleather

Eh, fuck the Xbox. I might get a PS5 in a year or so instead.

bgmnts

Quote from: mobias on September 17, 2020, 09:26:32 AM
I was having Saturday night drinks with a mate of mine who works as a games programmer last weekend and he wasn't singing the Series S's praises. Developers are cursing Microsoft for going with it because it means games have to be made with the lower spec model in mind. There's more it can't do than MS are letting on by the sounds of things.

Eh, as long as it runs smoothly and doesn't take the piss I'm happy.

Thursday

Out of interest though, how is it much different from having to make sure PC games run on a wild variety of specs? Most games today will generally be made so they can run on PC's that are lower spec than a base PS4/XBONE

oustropique

And that's going to make it much less of a generational leap than the PS5 (this is a hunch - get back to me in about six years, it could still be a let down) or the new NVIDIA RTX cards. It definitely has its place as a budget option.

On the PS5 presentation itself, Spider-Man looks good but it's probably going to be the collectathon-laden drudgery with a pretty good story attached, and because it's shorter it'll be a bit flashier and exciting. Been waiting for Hogwarts: Legacy to be announced for ages, and I want it to be good, but I was a bit concerned with some of the jutter in what was shown. I feel like they should stop attaching the Resident Evil name to grimdark fairytale stuff, and that no-one's interested in Resident Evil 56 and are more interested in a remake of 1 and 4 and Code Veronica at this juncture - I say this not being bothered either way. I really liked the Playstation Plus Collection. Definitely a step in the right direction. They should be throwing PS Now into that.

Some stuff came out from Geoff Keighley after the showcase that Demon's Souls might be coming to PC, Hogwarts: Legacy definitely is, and Spider-Man is coming to PS4 as well. I might not even need to bother with a 5, and, as ever, buying a console at launch means you're paying the most money for the more experimental titles while developers still work out how to push the hardware to its full potential. I can see that if you don't have a PC, or even a PS4, it's worth it, and Demon's Souls is a draw to a good number of people, but there's not much there at the moment.

(https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-17-ps5-is-a-surefire-hit-but-sonys-broken-promises-are-eroding-trust)

Cuellar

Demon Souls does look great.

Not going to get a whole console for it mind.

Bazooka

Quote from: Cuellar on September 17, 2020, 12:50:44 PM
Demon Souls does look great.

Not going to get a whole console for it mind.

All PS5 Launch Games:
Astro's Playroom
Demon's Souls
Destruction AllStars
Godfall
Just Dance 2021
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Sackboy: A Big Adventure

Spider Man despite being on PS4 is going to shift consoles more than the other games, if CoD Cold War had been a console exclusive for either console it would have been a game breaker in terms of sales.

Blue Jam

Deathloop and Tokyo Ghostwire will initially be PS5 exclusives, I believe.

Digital edition looks good to me. I hardly ever buy games on disc and my Xbox One S has a Blu-Ray player so I may as well go for the one without an optical drive. I feel a bit of loyalty to Xbox so I'll keep an eye on X Series exclusives and price drops.

mobias

Quote from: Thursday on September 17, 2020, 11:32:57 AM
Out of interest though, how is it much different from having to make sure PC games run on a wild variety of specs? Most games today will generally be made so they can run on PC's that are lower spec than a base PS4/XBONE

From what I can gather consoles with differing capabilities are much more of a faff to optimise games for than PC's of differing capabilities. Its just an extra headache for developers to have to worry about making games work on a lower spec machine and its not just a simple case of lowering a few parameters on a menu screen to make a game run smoothly like it is on PC. Its all about optimisation on console to get the most out of the machine.