Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:48:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PS5 Live Showcase

Started by Malcy, September 16, 2020, 09:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: Bazooka on September 17, 2020, 08:15:31 AM
Hard to say, a few games like Spiderman and Horizon ZD 2 and some others are going to be on PS4 also,offering free upgrades to PS5, so maybe some shops will sell some bundles at a lower price.

Yep, definitely not going to bother with the PS5 till 2022 at the earliest. Probably more like 2023/4, TBH.

brat-sampson

I waited on ps4 until like a month or two before Bloodborne. I'm thinking this time I can afford to wait too. I'll definitely get one down the line, but no hurry right now. Demon's Souls looks great, but I'll be playing cyberpunk until 2021 anyway tbh.

wooders1978

Nothing really stirred my loins to rush out and get one - only got my PS4 pro about 15 months ago so it looks like I'll be going a little longer with that - remastered grand theft auto 5 ? Are they taking the piss?

Timothy

Quote from: Bazooka on September 17, 2020, 08:15:31 AM
Hard to say, a few games like Spiderman and Horizon ZD 2 and some others are going to be on PS4 also,offering free upgrades to PS5, so maybe some shops will sell some bundles at a lower price.

HZD 2 is a PS5 exclusive.

Bazooka

Yep my mistake, so many games that are on both I got that tangled in there.

bgmnts

No backwards compatibility beyond PS4. That's a shame. I could play four generations of games on the series X I think.

Consignia

I think the PS4/5 Blu ray drive can't physically read CDs, that laser isn't designed to focus on them. It kind of scuppers PS1, and some PS2 games are CD so probably don't want the confusion. The PS3 is an architectural bastard and really difficult to emulate. Even on PSNow, you can only stream PS3 era games.#

There's business reasons obviously not to pursue the backwards compatibility problems, but they are underpinned by real technical problems.

Blue Jam

I think the Xbox One also has that issue in that it's Blu-Ray player can't read original Xbox and Xbox 360 discs, but Microsoft have done a good job of making a lot of older games compatible as digital downloads.

The One S and One X are both 4K HD compatible already so I already know how great RDR2 can possibly look. Isn't the PS4 Pro also 4K? How much better could games look on the PS5 if you already have one of those three consoles?

Bazooka

Quote from: Consignia on September 18, 2020, 10:54:36 AM
I think the PS4/5 Blu ray drive can't physically read CDs, that laser isn't designed to focus on them. It kind of scuppers PS1, and some PS2 games are CD so probably don't want the confusion. The PS3 is an architectural bastard and really difficult to emulate. Even on PSNow, you can only stream PS3 era games.#

There's business reasons obviously not to pursue the backwards compatibility problems, but they are underpinned by real technical problems.

It's a poor list,put you can stream PS2 games also,I think Japan has a bigger selection. There are issues with rights etc.

Bazooka

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 18, 2020, 01:23:07 PM
I think the Xbox One also has that issue in that it's Blu-Ray player can't read original Xbox and Xbox 360 discs, but Microsoft have done a good job of making a lot of older games compatible as digital downloads.

The One S and One X are both 4K HD compatible already so I already know how great RDR2 can possibly look. Isn't the PS4 Pro also 4K? How much better could games look on the PS5 if you already have one of those three consoles?

Well this next gen is going to be where graphics won't be making the biggest leap, but world loading speed and draw distances etc will

QDRPHNC

All the odd-numbered Playstations are shit, except the 1 and the 3.

Timothy

Quote from: Bazooka on September 18, 2020, 08:54:29 AM
Yep my mistake, so many games that are on both I got that tangled in there.

It's quite confusing I agree.

I have the PS5 pre-ordered and Cyberpunk for PS4 pre-ordered as well. And there is going to be a PS5 upgrade for Cyberpunk (and for Witcher and other games). Still no idea how any of that works.

Bazooka

Probably a 1TB patch to upgrade.

mobias

One thing I've just read about which I hadn't given much thought. The PS5 has this super fast super optimised SSD but its only 850GB. So you'll be wanting to expand that and of course you can only use super fast external SSD's.

bgmnts

I know games are huge now but i'd assume most would be happy with just under a terabyte of memory.

mobias

Quote from: bgmnts on September 19, 2020, 05:00:50 PM
I know games are huge now but i'd assume most would be happy with just under a terabyte of memory.

Problem is with every generation leap games get bigger and bigger. Larger and larger game assets taking up more and more bandwidth. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing 200GB game instals on the next gen machines. 

bgmnts

I reckon near the end of the generation yeah, the absolute massive games this generation (Rockstar, Gears 5 etc) were around 100gb.

Although I swear the leap between seventh generation and this generation was absolutely massive. Games were regularly like 6-10gb and then it should up to like 20-50gb regularly.

Now, if people are right in saying the hardware leap isnt that big a jump this next generation, its safe to assume the games wont improve a whole lot either. Wishful thinking maybe, who knows.

Bazooka

Quote from: Timothy on September 18, 2020, 08:52:03 AM
HZD 2 is a PS5 exclusive.

You bloody fibber, making me doubt myself, utter egg on my face:

QuoteHere's a head-scratcher from everyone's favourite video game executive Jim Ryan: Horizon Forbidden West has been built from the "ground up" for PlayStation 5. Except, as was revealed earlier in the week, the game is also coming to the PlayStation 4. We don't quite know how that will work, but here's what the PlayStation boss told the Washington Post.

Thursday

Yeah Horizon Zero Dawn 2'S been announced for PS4, was originally said to only be on PS5.

Bazooka

Quote from: mobias on September 19, 2020, 05:26:13 PM
Problem is with every generation leap games get bigger and bigger. Larger and larger game assets taking up more and more bandwidth. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing 200GB game instals on the next gen machines.

Spiderman MM is going to be 50GB and Demons Souls is 66GB, of the 825GB inside the system , probably around 650GB will be available for games.

Thursday

The hard drive space is only really a big issue if you're the kind of person that has like 8 different online multiplayer/service games on the go at once where it can be especially inconvenient to have to uninstall and reinstall all the time. But if you are you deserve to suffer.

Sin Agog

Sharing your not that great internet connection with others really is not conducive to downloading and deleting and redownloading whenever you want.  I hope they add an option to control how much of your connection you allot to your PS the way you can with torrents.  Right now I only download at night, and wake myself up early in the morning to pull out the cable, because it tries to hog the entire bandwidth.

mobias

A big reason some next gen games are going to have a lot larger file sizes is they're going to have much higher quality audio. If you've ever wondered why a big open world game like GTAV doesn't have amazing sounding engine noises, gun noises and you tend to hear lots of repeated NPC speech its because there's never enough room for all the audio files needed and audio is the first thing to get sacrificed when the game gets optimised. People would rather have nicer looking graphics than great sounding car engine noises. That will change next gen with the PS5 as there's now tons of bandwidth available for them to do amazing sound effects. Thats why Sony are making a big deal about the audio capabilities of the console.

I'm not hearing similar things when it comes to the new Xbox. The reason I heard devs are cursing the lower end Xbox S is that they'll have to rip out a lot a of audio stuff to make the game work on the lower end console and apparently some third party studios won't bother putting it back in again for the higher end Xbox simply because its just an extra development headache they could well do without.

Bazooka

I'm happy with all music being MIDI files, if I can load a fetch quest to collect 5 herbs in one second.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: mobias on September 19, 2020, 09:21:18 PM
If you've ever wondered why a big open world game like GTAV doesn't have amazing sounding engine noises, gun noises
Not even once.

Timothy

I have a question for you all, I can't seem to find the answer online.

I have the PS5 pre-ordered and want to buy some games. Some of them (Watch Dogs Legion, Valhalla, Spider-Man) are also available on PS4 and will be PS5 enhanced.

What I don't get is this:

If you get a free PS5 upgrade with the PS4 version wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy the PS4 version at launch? Or am I missing something here?

Bazooka

Those games are the same price on both consoles, so it really makes no difference.  If you purchase a digital copy of Assassin's Creed Valhalla on the PS4, then you'll be able to upgrade to a digital copy of Assassin's Creed Valhalla on the PS5 free of charge. If you own a physical copy of Assassin's Creed Valhalla on the PS4, then you'll need to hold on to your copy of the disc, as you'll need to use this to play Assassin's Creed Valhalla on the PS5.

How much extra space it takes to upgrade, I don't think has been said, that may be the only factor,but price certainly isn't.

Timothy

The physical copies are 10 to 15 euros cheaper in the online stories here in Holland and Germany.
Legion and Valhalla for example are 69,99 / 74,95 for PS5 and 54,95/59,99 for PS4.

Thursday

Some games will apparently not be able to carry saves over across platforms if that's an issue.

Bazooka

Not in the UK, £51 for both AC Valhalla versions on Amazon and most places, some places a couple of pounds less.But  PS5 only games will be more expensive than a new PS4 game.

Edit: In the US the PS5 version is $10 more too. hmmm.