Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:56:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Limmy's Other Stuff (Final TV Show)

Started by Malcy, September 16, 2020, 09:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Friday 2nd October at 10pm on BBC Scotland.

QuoteLimmy introduces a chronological compilation of his non-TV material, from his early pre-YouTube sketches, to his Vines, to his present day livestreaming. Over the half hour special, Limmy recalls his journey from being a web developer to having his own sketch show, and how it all began with a spur of the moment video that he uploaded to his website.

Highlights along the way include: how to make a dance music video with a straw stuck to your face; the rare first sighting of Limmy's beloved character Dee Dee; a Vine for arachnophobes to avoid; and an outdoor livestream where Limmy unfortunately gets all the fame he ever wished for.

30 minutes doesn't seem very long but i'm looking forward to it.

Clownbaby

So it's a compilation of stuff anyone who knows him anyway will have probably seen already, and it's only half an hour long? Disappointing

Jim_MacLaine

I hope the livestream era is illustrated by Limmy being shit at games or arguing with Nilesy and Katercakes.

Always makes me laugh and would be really funny in this context.

Is there a thread for his autobiography? I am reading it currently and it is excellent.

Malcy

The Mollusk

Quote from: Clownbaby on September 29, 2020, 08:46:55 AM
So it's a compilation of stuff anyone who knows him anyway will have probably seen already, and it's only half an hour long? Disappointing

Could do with being an hour, but as someone who can't begin to fathom ploughing through even a fraction of his vast swathes of recorded material, I'm looking forward to it. Archival content like this is so vast that it's beleaguering to me (much like trying to dedicate the time to unpicking the discography of The Fall or getting into an acclaimed anime that's over 400 episodes long) and when the "best cuts" of his gaming streams are clickbait-titled vids of him lazily making massive death traps on Minecraft that doesn't exactly entice me any further.

Jerzy Bondov

Is there an easy way to watch that Twitch clip where he's miming play fighting with a friend and he gets increasingly panicked and desperate looking? It makes me laugh to think about it.

Phil_A

Has he definitely said this'll be his last ever TV stuff then?

Chollis

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on October 01, 2020, 09:20:18 AM
Is there an easy way to watch that Twitch clip where he's miming play fighting with a friend and he gets increasingly panicked and desperate looking? It makes me laugh to think about it.

I don't think I've seen that one!

i'm someone who generally just likes his twitch compilations, i can't be bothered to sit through the whole streams. 
rediscovered "mammy, you've got to get me aff this muck" yesterday https://twitter.com/daftlimmy/status/1143946428898824194?lang=en

him constantly trying to turn his laughing into crying never fails to crack me up

weaseldust

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on October 01, 2020, 09:20:18 AM

are you talking about this?
https://twitter.com/hum_dunkin/status/1265270578933612545

druss

Quote from: Chollis on October 01, 2020, 11:24:29 AM
I don't think I've seen that one!

i'm someone who generally just likes his twitch compilations, i can't be bothered to sit through the whole streams. 
rediscovered "mammy, you've got to get me aff this muck" yesterday https://twitter.com/daftlimmy/status/1143946428898824194?lang=en

him constantly trying to turn his laughing into crying never fails to crack me up
I fucking love that clip. Not one to show people who aren't already in to Limmy though it seems, most responses have been "Is this meant to be funny?". Same with the "father takes muck to understand son" clip.

Bently Sheds

The only thing I hadn't seen before was the Guy Fawkes sketch, feel a bit sad now...

Small Man Big Horse

A lot of it was new to me but I can't say I found that much of it funny, it was interesting to see his early work but nowhere near as good as the sketches in Limmy's show, and I was a bit bored at other points and I can't help but wish he'd gone out on a stronger note. Ah well, I wish him all the best, obviously, and given his issues with mental health if doing the Twitch thing makes him happy that's all that really matters.

druss

Quote from: Bently Sheds on October 02, 2020, 11:08:00 PM
The only thing I hadn't seen before was the Guy Fawkes sketch, feel a bit sad now...
Yeah it is sad he won't be making TV anymore. It's amazing some of the stuff he comes up with off the cuff on his streams. I'm glad that he's in a happy place in life as mental health issues can be fucking horrific so the main thing is that he's happy. But I do wish there was more TV stuff to come.

Small Man Big Horse

I forgot to mention, that clip with the spider, fucking hell, that's just evil, and I have no doubt I will have nightmares due to it tonight!

druss

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 03, 2020, 10:06:38 PM
I forgot to mention, that clip with the spider, fucking hell, that's just evil, and I have no doubt I will have nightmares due to it tonight!
I had only ever seen the one with it crawling out of his mouth and I had always assumed it was some digital trickery.

Purple Toupee

It was good to see some of the Vines featured, I still think the 'Vine era' is Limmy's finest hour. The Plasterer in particular is just brilliant.

Two Headed Sex Beast

Quote from: Purple Toupee on October 04, 2020, 11:16:18 AM
It was good to see some of the Vines featured, I still think the 'Vine era' is Limmy's finest hour. The Plasterer in particular is just brilliant.
So much good stuff in the Vines. "Sentenced to life", the Plasterer, "You can't be serious Jeff" pop into my head all the time

Phil_A

Surprised he didn't make more of the streaming stuff as that's now his main/only outlet for new material.

Overall, I felt this was kind of a strange, perfunctory way to wrap up a TV career. Apart from the original version of Dee Dee, there wasn't much that anyone who'd followed his career up to now won't be familiar with. It felt a bit, "Okay, bye then I guess?"

ajsmith2

Felt this could have/should have been a six part series itself to properly take in the scope of his online stuff: a proper immersive guide to his online ouvre which after all is where he started and will end up with the TV stuff being the anomaly. As it was this felt like a skimpy sampler that barely scratched the surface.

Clownbaby

Or he could have just whacked together one last Homemade Show. I don't believe he had no ideas left that he could have done something like that with. Though, maybe the plan was to cut the TV stuff off for good by demonstrating in the special that there will absolutely be no more new Limmy content to be broadcast on telly. I guess if he'd done another really good Homemade Show it would have people expecting more to come

Still a disappointing send-off though. Some Limmy acting and sketches on Youtube, proper ones, not just improv in his gaming chair (as funny as that often is), would maybe be nice occasionally. Wouldn't have to commit to a full TV show then. I can't see him never ever doing a single non-Twitch video again but right now the streaming is the big one for him isn't it and fair play to him, he's doing well at it

Glyn

Was also a bit nonplussed by this. Was fine but just wasn't as satisfying as something new.

Assume it was a BBC Scotland idea rather than his ? If so can see why he has jacked in making TV from now on as being told 'no thanks ,we dont want your sitcoms but how about you cobble together anything you have lying about' would piss me off a bit too.

Crabwalk

He's undoubtedly made some of the best UK TV comedy of the past decade, and that's a decent legacy to have. Absolutely fair do's if he feels his career has run out of steam in that medium, or wants to protect his mental health.

But I still feel it's a massive shame that his talent as an actor is likely to go largely untapped. I'd love it if Ken Loach or someone cast him in a full-blown drama, letting him improv dialogue and contribute to story and character. He'd be fucking magnificent.

bomb_dog