Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:56:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

It's alright for Grayling

Started by Fambo Number Mive, September 17, 2020, 10:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

I know many of you were concerned about Chris Grayling after he stopped being a minister, wanting to make sure he was doing ok.

Well, he's earning £100,000 for a seven hour work week for a year, and on top of the salary he gets for being an MP.

How can politicians understand what it is like to be an ordinary person trying to make ends meet when they get such easy money?

QuoteEx-Transport Secretary Chris Grayling has landed a £100,000 job advising the owner of some of the UK's top ports.

The Conservative MP is working for Hutchison Ports, which operates Harwich and Felixstowe among other terminals.

According to the MPs' register of financial interests, he will be paid for seven hours work a week for a year.

The appointment has been approved by a Whitehall watchdog despite it raising concerns of a "perceived risk" that it may give the firm an unfair advantage.

The Advisory Committee on Business Appointments (ACOBA) said Mr Grayling had reassured them he would not be advising the company on its commercial maritime activities or risks and opportunities associated with Brexit.

The watchdog said the role would be limited to advising the firm, which also operates London Thamesport, on its environmental strategy and its engagement with local enterprise bodies.

It said the MP must comply with these and other conditions, including a ban on him lobbying ministers on behalf of the company or giving advice on UK government tenders, until July 2021, two years after he left the cabinet...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54185180

Paul Calf

What's the fucking use in being competent at anything at this point?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

What, no "Have Your Say" on that article, surely not?!

imitationleather

In this context does "advising" mean "mentioning their name to Cummimgs whenever big wedges of public money are up for grabs"?

Fambo Number Mive

Clemence Cheng, MD Europe Division of Hutchison Ports UK, is a member of the Transport Services Trade Advisory Group: https://www.transportxtra.com/publications/local-transport-today/news/66568/transport-sector-advises-dit-on-trade-issues/

Paul Calf

jobotic

Starmer's going to be all over this.

idunnosomename

I suspect adviser just means you turn up to meetings, drink coffee and occasionally say "sounds great!"

Butchers Blind

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 17, 2020, 11:08:16 AM
I suspect adviser just means you turn up to meetings, drink coffee and occasionally say "sounds great!"

Even then I bet Grayling would find a way of fucking that up.

Icehaven

You're being a bit unfair, that £100,000 might be pro rata, so as he's only doing the equivalent of one day a week rather than a standard working week of 5 days, he'll only be getting about £20,000 a year for a quick meeting before a boozy lunch once a week (other commitments permitting of course. I'm confident he'll still get paid though.)

Bernice

How is it possible to even pretend that this is anything other than what it blatantly is. These cunts should be fucking executed.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Bernice on September 17, 2020, 01:09:00 PM
How is it possible to even pretend that this is anything other than what it blatantly is. These cunts should be fucking executed.

They've dropped all pretence of playing the game and doing things in the shadows where there can be a bit of room for manoeuvre with the explanations. They just don't give a fuck what anybody thinks anymore, haven't done for a while.

I'm still absolutely staggered about George Osborne becoming the editor of the Evening Standard despite never having even read a fucking newspaper before, never mind worked at one. It wasn't a favour by a Russian gangster for anything he did for him while he was in office though, it was all absolutely above board. The outstanding candidate.

jobotic

Typical left-wing politics of envy, begrudging a hard working young man his just rewards for his entrepreneurial spirit.

Jasha

Quote from: Butchers Blind on September 17, 2020, 11:39:17 AM
Even then I bet Grayling would find a way of fucking that up.

Rich tea splash mid dunk

Fambo Number Mive

Drilling holes in all the cups and asking "why don't you do that with the ferries".

Pointing at ships and asking if they are ferries.

Trying to shove a ferry up his arse.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Fambo can we leave you with the task of obliterating Grayling with a harpoon? Cheers

shiftwork2

No problem with this, the lad's a grafter.

He's well worth the £100k, as I don't doubt that he won't advise the ports to make space for ferry companies with no ferries.  He's well known as a smart man who learns from his mistakes.  This is a product of his humble nature.

Jittlebags

Ahh, bless. The feeble minded do need a bit of a help. But maybe not to the same extent as this cunt is getting.

Ferris

I see Tom Watson just took an advisory role with the holding company that owns a load of gambling companies. I expect he will receive a fair days pay for a fair days work.

Paul Calf

It's OK. He's struck an agreement that none of the money he'll be paid will come from the bets of compulsive gamblers, just the 40-odd percent of income from provided by customers who can control their gambling.

jobotic

To be fair it's only a stopgap job until he starts his column in The Sun.