Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:39:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Windows 10 (Home) decuntifier

Started by the, September 17, 2020, 08:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy app that allows you to take control of Windows 10 - specifically keeping Windows update disabled, but if it also blocks/deactivates other bandwidth/privacy-screwing processes that would be a bonus.

(I've got a secondhand laptop with Windows 10 Home on it, which doesn't have Group Policy editor, so changing this stuff manually involves dicking about with the Registry, and I'd rather have a control panel to do it from.)

the

Quote from: Hand Solo on September 18, 2020, 01:01:07 PMWhiny voiced American eventually explains that a thing called Windows 10 Ameliorated exists

Thanks for the heads up, but I wasn't looking to completely reinstall the operating system. Good to know that such a thing exists though.

I don't use the machine for anything heavy, just watching vids on the telly, but I can't abide the fucking Update service restarting itself while preventing me from disabling it.

I assumed there'd be some nice clean dashboard programme around that lets you turn such features on and off...?

MojoJojo

Unfortunately not. Controlling the automatic updates is one of the things MS is charging for the more expensive editions. Because while it's a bit of an arse for home users, control of updates is essential to businesses. And MS don't want businesses using cheap home editions.

the

Are you sure? From what I've been arsed to read up, it's the Windows Update Medic Service that re-enables the Windows Update Service (if you're in the habit of disabling it). WUMS denies you (the sole user and owner of the fucking software) permission to kill the Medic Service, but it can suppoedly be turned off through the Registry.

(EDIT: upon further reading, seemingly the edited Registry settings can magically reinstate themselves too.)

But as mentioned, I optimistically hoped there would be some software utility to help manage this and other egregious Windows fartknockery rather than having to grub about editing Registry values.

... I'll give this a go.

MojoJojo

I just meant Microsoft want it to be difficult.

the

Quote from: the on September 21, 2020, 03:07:01 PM... I'll give this a go.

Just gave this (Windows Update Blocker v1.5) a go, seems to work so far. I'll keep an eye on it to make sure it sticks. But great utility, doesn't even require an install.

Can also be used to disable other services you reckon shouldn't be running too, and it's all reversible.