Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:38:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Minor Rolf Harris news story from 2017 with inappropriately upbeat soundtrack

Started by ajsmith2, September 18, 2020, 10:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqtgsrBCSpY

I find this ( algortithmically generated?) piece of clickbait weirdly amusing: it's the combination of the 'news' story being so minor, downbeat and entirely unedifying with the triumphant sounding library music, which seems to suggest some kind of 'smile through the bad times' life journey that resolves for the best at the end, and as one reader comment mentions also resembles a soundtrack item from Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Petey Pate

Pretty funny.  Reminded me a lot of the 'fun facts' in the On Cinema Oscar Specials.

neveragain

I find it interesting that apparently "due to laws about profiting from crime the book [that Rolf was planning about his time in jail] can not be sold here". Is that true? There are books by former gangsters detailing their activities.

batwings

Disspointed that the story didn't clarify if the screws the disgraced cartoonist purchased were of the tungsten-tipped variety.

buttgammon

QuoteThe 87-year-old paedophile only spent around 15 minutes inside the shop where he bought cable ties, rawl plugs and screws.

This line really tickled me. The music is hilariously inappropriate too.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: neveragain on September 19, 2020, 02:53:00 AM
I find it interesting that apparently "due to laws about profiting from crime the book [that Rolf was planning about his time in jail] can not be sold here". Is that true? There are books by former gangsters detailing their activities.

This line got me thinking as well. I seem to recall that there are rules about not profiting while you are in prison, however once you have served your time I believe you can write whatever you wish for release wherever. I think Jeffrey Archer was prohibited from releasing his prison diaries whilst he was at her majesties pleasure, though it came out once he had. Never read it myself but I'm sure it is a right rollicking read. 

Edit: Just checked and Archer got three whole volumes out of his time in chokey... who says crime doesn't pay?

Pseudopath

I think the king of inappropriately-upbeat soundtracks in YouTube videos has to be this video of a decomposing fox. WARNING: Video contains footage of a decomposing fox.

I'm sure I recognise that tune from somewhere. Wasn't it one of the ITV Schools countdown songs? EDIT: Yes it was.

Quote from: Pseudopath on September 19, 2020, 09:40:05 AM
I think the king of inappropriately-upbeat soundtracks in YouTube videos has to be this video of a decomposing fox. WARNING: Video contains footage of a decomposing fox.

I'm sure I recognise that tune from somewhere. Wasn't it one of the ITV Schools countdown songs? EDIT: Yes it was.

Reminds me of the fabulously titled Angelfish Decay by Michael Nyman from A Zed & Two Noughts.

ProvanFan

Fambo Number Mive

ajsmith2

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 19, 2020, 11:02:52 AM
"... And I really am so very truly sorry."

What is the origin of this quote? Always meant to ask on here, so it seems appropriate it's been mentioned again on this frivolous thread I started to distract myself from a depressing day.

shiftwork2

Dr Rock

buttgammon

This has fucked my YouTube recommendations, which are now 90% Rolf Harris. I didn't see how they could get any worse, but being hijacked by a cheerful paedophile has done the trick.

Quote from: buttgammon on September 19, 2020, 08:52:16 AM
QuoteThe 87-year-old paedophile only spent around 15 minutes inside the shop where he bought cable ties, rawl plugs and screws.

'Rawl plug'?  Is that an endorsement for a Lou Rawls record?  He only had one hit in the 70s, didn't he?

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on September 19, 2020, 09:15:42 AM
This line got me thinking as well. I seem to recall that there are rules about not profiting while you are in prison, however once you have served your time I believe you can write whatever you wish for release wherever. I think Jeffrey Archer was prohibited from releasing his prison diaries whilst he was at her majesties pleasure, though it came out once he had. Never read it myself but I'm sure it is a right rollicking read. 

Edit: Just checked and Archer got three whole volumes out of his time in chokey... who says crime doesn't pay?

Once you're out of jail you're not supposed to write about your crime (if it's serious), but it's ok to write about your time in prison, your journey towards rehabilitation, the rest of your life, petty crime, stuff about the justice system in general, or other topics. (I'm not sure that Archer's crimes actually come in the category of serious enough not to be profited from.) It's not actually a crime to write about your crime, but the authorities can sue you and claim any money you gained (it's rare that they bother, though). There are additional rules that apply while you're in prison about receiving money. See this summary.

El Unicornio, mang

I'm assuming they don't have similar laws in the US, I've read a few books by people like Henry Hill where they talk about all their crimes and even murders.

Former Colombo crime family capo Michael Franzese has been making a killing (!) in the past few years from his YouTube channel, motivational speaking events, books, etc. He does reviews of mob movies and basically thinks they're all mostly nonsense.