Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:12:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Weird USB-C charging issue

Started by QDRPHNC, September 18, 2020, 02:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

So I have this little audio player from a Chinese company called Acmee, which is brilliant. But there's a problem.

It came with what looks like a cheap, black, USB to USB-C charging cable, which worked no bother. And of course I misplaced the cable. So now I'm going mad trying to find a cable that will charge this thing. I have tried the following:

- My Macbook's USB-C wall charger.
- My phone's USB-C wall charger.
- USB-C to USB-C cable from the Mac to the player.
- USB to USB-C cable plugged into a dongle plugged into my Mac.

Nothing charges the device except the cable that came with it! I emailed the people at Acmee who basically told me it ships with just a standard cable.

Any ideas what the eff is going here, CaB?

QDRPHNC

This post made me realise I hadn't tried a USB to USB-C wall charger, so I did that and it worked.

Thank you and sorry.

Ferris

Had the same thing with my RG350M handheld game thingy. A lot of cheap devices like these have USB-C ports but they don't properly support the standard. So when your decent chargers/Macbook are connected they try doing fast charging, but it doesn't respond as it should so they shut off as a safety measure.

Be careful, though, as some cheap fast chargers don't have a cut-out so they just fry the device instead.

Shit Good Nose

Have you tried shoving it up your anus?

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on September 23, 2020, 12:11:34 PM
Had the same thing with my RG350M handheld game thingy. A lot of cheap devices like these have USB-C ports but they don't properly support the standard. So when your decent chargers/Macbook are connected they try doing fast charging, but it doesn't respond as it should so they shut off as a safety measure.

Be careful, though, as some cheap fast chargers don't have a cut-out so they just fry the device instead.

Ah ok, that makes some sense then, cheers. The cable that ended up working has a smart change icon or whartever stamped on it, but I don't know if that makes a difference.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 23, 2020, 02:41:18 PM
Have you tried shoving it up your anus?

No, this is a chunky, hard-edged little device, real ring-wrecker.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 23, 2020, 02:42:45 PM
No, this is a chunky, hard-edged little device, real ring-wrecker.

Well, you know what Pinhead would say "we'll tear your arsehole apart".  Pleasure and pain and all that.