Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:05:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Times desperately tries to humanise Johnson

Started by Fambo Number Mive, September 19, 2020, 01:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Attila

Why/how is there a designer clothing shop as part of No. 10? It's only got a 1 star review (mainly complaining that it's a fake store -- I'd like that it's real, and that the PM is running a little shop in his spare time.)

BlodwynPig

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 19, 2020, 05:17:21 PM
PMQs doesn't really matter much to anyone outside the media.

Maybe but can't the media and politicians essentially decide who is PM by applying pressure etc?

Blue Jam

Quote from: jobotic on September 19, 2020, 04:50:57 PM
They're all Cummings fronts anyway.

They're all Cummings fronts by the time Boris has finished with them.

Pink Gregory

Paul Calf

Quote from: jobotic on September 19, 2020, 04:50:57 PM
It's not Sunak they're lining up, it's Gove. I only wish they'd done it before the election.

They're all Cummings fronts anyway.

The Tory leadership know that Gove is electoral poison, but he's a very capable authoritarian cunt. They only wheel him out when they know they don't have to care about public opinion. 

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 19, 2020, 01:39:07 PM
wasted millions of pounds of money on projects that gave bad to pathetic results (the cable car, the New Bus for London etc)

He should just ride back and forth on the Emirates Air Line going "Wheeee!" all day and throwing fivers out the window. That'd cheer anybody up.

Then he could cut the cables and pretend he's Stallone in Cliffhanger or Taron Egerton in Kingsman 2: The Golden Circle. What fun he could be having.

Tony Tony Tony

I recall an episode of Doctor Who where the good doctor says he can bring down the PM with six simple words. He whispers "Don't you think she looks tired?" to a nearby journo and we are left to believe that it all comes tubling down for the PM henceforth.

Looks like life imitating art and the press are starting to get it in for Bozza as he deffo "looks tired".

Problem is Pob looks positively jumping.

SpiderChrist

phantom_power

Police Academy remake has interesting cast list

Blue Jam

The Daily Mail at it now, but in true Mail fashion this looks more like a sneaky attempt to make him look like a decadent sleazebag who brought all his troubles on himself and has only himself to blame:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8774005/Wholl-bail-Boris-Johnson-taken-vast-pay-cut-PM.html

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteWith something resembling a genial grunt, the Prime Minister urged his guests to tuck into lunch, Oxfordshire beef fillet with crispy shin, baby leeks and a rich gravy with the promise of marmalade bread and butter pudding to follow.

I wonder how many people in the UK eat that well? Probably 5% or less.

The article does seem to imply that prime ministers are not being paid enough, but a higher salary would make the Prime Minister even more out of touch. Perhaps having a single person at the top of government isn't the best way.

Bung a bob for Boris Ballbag's Brunch.

Sebastian Cobb

Feel sorry for borid paying maintenance on some of his children and giving money to his nasty wife. Christ.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 26, 2020, 04:30:34 PM
I wonder how many people in the UK eat that well? Probably 5% or less.

Love the quote from one guest whining that "The food wasn't even very good". Reading that description of the beef shin with baby leeks was making me hungry.

Obviously someone like Boris would have to take a pay cut to be PM, giving up all the more lucrative public speaking, TV presenting and writing jobs. Jobs that are also a lot more fun and less stressful and much more of a doss than being PM. How much longer before he sacks it off to return to his old life of being a posh clown for hire?

Carrie must be gutted. Not such a catch is he now? I hope you enjoyed your £600-a-night holiday Cazza, there won't be many more where that came from.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm not sure I could bring myself to eat at a tory networking event. I'd have to say the cocaine killed my appetite or something.

steveh

One thing from that Times piece that I only came across later in a Peter Oborne column was the claim that "he can't remember what he's been briefed by officials from one day to the next". Post-Covid neurological problems?

Has also been reported that as well as the £150K for being PM he earns £800K a year from "outside interests".

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: steveh on September 27, 2020, 10:08:59 AM
One thing from that Times piece that I only came across later in a Peter Oborne column was the claim that "he can't remember what he's been briefed by officials from one day to the next". Post-Covid neurological problems?

Nah, people who worked with him when he was Foreign Secretary said the same. I'm sure some EU diplomat publicly described him as 'thick as shit' at one point.

Blue Jam

Quote from: steveh on September 27, 2020, 10:08:59 AM

Possibly:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200622-the-long-term-effects-of-covid-19-infection

Alberon

Or just a thick twat. He never was the sharpest knife in the drawer.

jobotic

As if he's "only" on 150 grand
Bit fucking ungrateful of Serco and Deloitte if they're not kicking some back, although I suppose it depends on how Don Cummings shares it out.

steveh

Some good quotes in the New Statesman piece on him falling out of favour with MPs:

Quote"He genuinely doesn't give a flying fuck what the policy is," says one prominent Tory MP. In any case, "he's never done the homework, so he doesn't know anything. There really is no point in talking to the Prime Minister about policy at all."

An MP who knows him well agrees that he is "incredibly clever and quick-witted", but this may do little more than perpetuate the underlying problem. Johnson's agility, says the MP, allows him to survive in conversation while knowing almost nothing about what is being said; one is feeding him just enough verbal clues for him to get by. "And then you walk out, and you'd realise he agreed with 15 totally incompatible things."

Tory MPs were elected to get Brexit done. But that guiding star casts a dim light. Many in the party have little sense of direction. Roger Gale compares Johnson unfavourably to Thatcher, who "had a very clear sense of where she was going all the time". John Redwood, another long-serving Tory MP and Thatcher's former policy chief, adds: "You might not like it. But she would stick to it and you knew what you were getting." A select committee chair notes that Cameron also offered a clear programme of public sector reform, from schools to the welfare system. Pressed on Johnson's agenda, Tory MPs confess they "haven't got a clue".

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/09/end-affair-how-tory-mps-are-falling-out-love-boris-johnson

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: jobotic on September 27, 2020, 06:13:57 PM
As if he's "only" on 150 grand
Bit fucking ungrateful of Serco and Deloitte if they're not kicking some back, although I suppose it depends on how Don Cummings shares it out.

He must have money in funds and that being managed by some financial bellend.

When I was setting up stuff for savings the financial people said as well as stopping the state from taking it when you're elderly, putting things like money and houses in trusts can protect them from being divided up during divorces. You'd think the useless adulterer would've thought of that given he was going to inevitably ruin his own marriage.

Blue Jam

You'd also have thought the useless adulterer would have nipped to Harley Street and had the snip.