Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:04:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Salads

Started by shagatha crustie, September 19, 2020, 04:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shagatha crustie

Paragon of ill-health Mark E Smith once famously fired a sound engineer for eating a salad in his presence ('the salad was the last straw').

Do you make salads? Worse still, eat them?

I've a load of veg that needs eating up and I see no other way out of this.

Salad recipes, suggestions, and anti-salad scorn to be posted in this thread.

shagatha crustie

Ricardo López has let himself go.

Emma Raducanu

When I'm on holiday, I enjoy a Greek salad with a cold glass of beer and some bread. Though it's important you're abroad because the tomatoes are better, the onion milder and the weather warmer.

At home, I enjoy a Caesar salad. Though it's important to make the dressing as a good one cannot be bought.

bgmnts

Its as good as any other food, healthy and cheap. Can't say much bad about them. As mentioned though, they need a good dressing.

I like a bit of houmous with mine.

Sebastian Cobb

I buy the crunchy ones for things like kebabs.

Chollis

The Mollusk

I make a fucking banging salad. Here's what I use:

Rocket, spinach and watercress
Cucumber
Plum tomatoes
Avocado
Spring onions
Kalamata olives
Pickled beetroot (not too much)

The crowning glory is couscous with a healthy whack of ras el hanout spice blend stirred in. Toss that through the salad, drizzle with olive oil. Fucking delicious. I could eat it every damn day.

paruses

Make that middle Eastern one (fattoush) that has pitta in it. Or make a bastardized version as it's pretty edible and helps you get through the salad part of it.

Bazooka

Freshness elevates a salad into something better, Greek Salads(in Greece) and Turkish salads are very simple, yet the quality of the ingredients makes them nicer than ones rammed with sauces.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: shagatha crustie on September 19, 2020, 04:41:02 PM
Paragon of ill-health Mark E Smith once famously fired a sound engineer for eating a salad in his presence ('the salad was the last straw').

Why did/do people like, let alone tolerate him? Every story I hear about him or quote of his I hear makes him seem more obnoxious.

monkfromhavana

I love salads, if I was a single man I'm probably have them as my main dinner 4-5 times a week. I tend to favour normal, ploughmans-style salads over anything exotic.

Tuna, lettuce, cucumber, tomato, cheddar, red onion, beetroot, radish, coleslaw, sausage roll, pickled cabbage and pickled onions all piled on a plate.

The Mollusk

The Southwest Bowl by the Bosh lads is another great salad, with black beans, rice and sriracha sauce. Proper satisfying.

Janie Jones

In a clean jar with a lid shake up:
Some olive oil or rapeseed oil, some nice stuff, the best you can afford
Some vinegar, likewise the best you can afford
Some mustard, french is good but anything will do
Something sweet like honey or pomegranate molasses
A chopped clove of garlic.

If you have time, leave it an hour or two then give it a final shake and bung it over whatever compost corner salad you can get from the local shop for pennies. Poundland do mixed seeds, shake them in too.

You will never die.

paruses

Quote from: Janie Jones on September 19, 2020, 10:41:52 PM
[...] pomegranate molasses[...]

Excellent recommendation. Also makes salad edible.

What kind and form of greens are you all using for these salads? I've always found lettuce maintenance to be surprisingly burdensome.

AllisonSays

In France they call lettuce 'une salade', but they also call salad 'une salade'. Those ambiguous cunts.

Dex Sawash

Some small green leafy stuff+ vinegar is all the salad prep I am willing to do.

A greek salad some other cunt has made is nice inside a rolled/folded NY pizza slice to make a taco.

SpiderChrist

Spinach, tomato, cucumber, chick peas, spring onion, picked beetroot, pickled onions, little gem lettuce. Serve with crusty bread, tapenade, and fucking loads of hummus.

The Mollusk

You know what can fuck off out of a salad? Croutons.

SpiderChrist

flotemysost

Yeah, it needs some sort of carb element, or at least something cheesy/meaty (olives count as meaty, imho) and a decent dressing in order to be palatable. Dunno if pasta salad counts, it's basically just cold pasta isn't it, but I'm a fan.

Croutons are a bit of a mindfuck though, are you supposed to let them go all soggy? Otherwise they're impossible to eat, either stab them with your fork (they just snap in two) or try to balance them on top of the fork and hope they don't topple off.

In fact thinking about it, a salad seems like it would be a dainty, refined option to order in a restaurant but they're actually quite hard to eat in a dignified way. Fucking leaves and stems flapping all over the place, oil dripping down your chin, croutons pinging all over the plate.

Edit: clearly not alone in being a crouton critic

SpiderChrist

Croutons can fuck right off. Plus, I forgot about the olives. And, in my meat-eating days, some anchovies or a bit of smoked mackerel.

Captain Crunch

Remember (d'yer remember) when KFC launched a salad that was loaded up with popcorn chicken bites, cheese, creamy sauce and salty fried croutons?  It had more calories than most of their burgers! 

spaghetamine

rocket, spinach, pine puts, balsamic glaze, shaved parmesan = a classy salad for sophisticated gents

shagatha crustie

Lovely sounding recipes in here, thanks all. In the end I whizzed all the veg up in a blender, heated it up and drank it from a mug.

flotemysost

Quote from: Captain Crunch on September 20, 2020, 11:38:02 AM
Remember (d'yer remember) when KFC launched a salad that was loaded up with popcorn chicken bites, cheese, creamy sauce and salty fried croutons?  It had more calories than most of their burgers!

That reminds me of the (possibly true) rumour doing the rounds a while back that McDonald's milkshakes were less suitable for vegetarians than Big Macs. Which somewhat took the shine off my go-to Maccie's order as a young herbivore of chocolate milkshake, vege burger and chips.

Sebastian Cobb

I quite like a spicy veggie burger as a starter in mc'ds, I'd do it more but you have to be feeling pretty flush to pick it over a mayo chicken.

idunnosomename

Quote from: AllisonSays on September 19, 2020, 11:39:32 PM
In France they call lettuce 'une salade', but they also call salad 'une salade'. Those ambiguous cunts.
apple of the earth?? little lunch? fucking nonsense. don't trust any of them

Bazooka

The Koreans make a good salad I'll tell you that.Lots of variations but often white cabbage, different greens, sesame oil and seeds, some bean sprouts and some chilli sauce, but room temperature. They also do a really good crunchy white cabbage one with some miscellaneous green sauce(slightly sweet), never could tell what it was, but gobbled it down when I lived there, I detest things swimming in mayonnaise.