Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:05:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Housemate wasting excessive amounts of food

Started by spaghetamine, September 19, 2020, 07:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaghetamine

My housemate keeps wasting food and it's driving me fucking crazy, I've spoken to him about it but nothing changes, he cooks giant dinners which he never finishes, leaves pans of food on the side for days until they go mouldy or puts them in tuppaware boxes in the fridge where they also go mouldy, he used to have an eating disorder and clearly still has some neuroses surrounding food so I don't want to be a total dick about the whole thing but it's majorly harshing my mellow to the extent that I'm considering moving out (which i can't really afford) despite him being otherwise a lovely guy - bit of a boring post but needed to vent - any advice would be welcome!

Sin Agog

spaghetamine

Problem is it's more food than can fit in our tiny food waste bin, you're not supposed to throw away food waste with your main rubbish in Bristol and there's so much getting chucked away it attracts flies and general ambient grossness

bgmnts

Post pictures of starving children all around the kitchen.

Pink Gregory

We have a similar thing with our housemate and toilet paper.  He can go through an entire roll in a day, in normal health; we wonder if he's got some sort of OCD about polishing his rusty sheriff's badge, but it wouldn't line up with his habits elsewhere.

momatt

Quote from: Pink Gregory on September 19, 2020, 07:31:02 PM
We have a similar thing with our housemate and toilet paper

My ex used to go through TWO ROLLS A DAY.
Not joking or exaggerating.  She was fucking mental.

Emma Raducanu

The trick is to just never live with anybody else. Ask him to leave or insist on Jeremy Kyle's help.

imitationleather

Quote from: momatt on September 19, 2020, 07:39:10 PM
My ex used to go through TWO ROLLS A DAY.
Not joking or exaggerating.  She was fucking mental.

I assume you used to watch to see what she was doing with it?

Details please.

The Mollusk

Kill him and chop him up for the purpose of eating and then just leave his remains in the fridge for weeks and ask him how it feels

idunnosomename

Get a big funnel and pour it all in him

Oh eating disorder. Sorry. Bit insensitive

Stick the funnel up his arse and pour it down there

Chairman Yang

Get wrapped up in a nice warm scarf, climb into the fridge and have a lovely sleep until this all blows over.

BlodwynPig

Captain Z

Quote from: bgmnts on September 19, 2020, 07:30:27 PM
Post pictures of starving children all around the kitchen.

No! He might start making even more for them.

I was housemates with a whale once, and it turns out he had to eat this way. Something to do with having baleen rather than teeth.

touchingcloth

Tell him that some kids in Africa don even get food x

Marner and Me

Tell him he's a fucking gopping creature and to get his act together.

chveik

AllisonSays

This is a wee bit of a serious answer, and so I apologise for that in advance, but my opinion on all housemate-based dilemmas is - who gives a fuck! As in, why do you give a fuck. If he's your good pal and you think he's doing badly with his eating disorder then ask him about it and perhaps try and help him; if he's not your good pal and he's being a pain in the arse just say, look mate, please don't make a mess in the kitchen or whatever. If the real answer is somewhere in between then just ignore it. Really, just ignore it, who cares. That would be my advice.

Pijlstaart

Sounds like free food, you can become a kitchen bin rat and eat for free. Lived the scavenger lifestyle myself for a while, my old workplace was heaving with seminars each summer, breakfast, lunch and cheese receptions every day and I feasted like a king. Great for the wallet but the guilt stays with you, you're sullied, and it feels like people will come for retribution. You lose control of your life too, you don't have what you want, you have what's there, if you want a healthy breakfast and there's only 6 cinnamon rolls, you have 6 cinnamon rolls, and that loss of control seeps beyond the scavenging and into every facet of your life. Worth a shot though.

Butchers Blind

poo

Have you tried to fuck the food wasting out of him and shove a cunt up his arse ?

pancreas

idunnosomename

BURN YOUR FUCKING HOUSE DOWN. BUY A PIG AND FUCK IT TO DEATH. YEEHAW!!!

flotemysost

A touch pass-agg, but you could breezily recommend him this app: https://olioex.com/

(I misread the header as "The #1 shaming app" at first. Which could also be accurate here.)

I really hate food waste and also used to have an eating disorder (and so am probably guilty of racking up plenty of wasted food myself over the years), so I can understand your frustration while wanting to remain sensitive. Even without that in the mix, it's often hard to strike the right tone when bringing up any kind of housemate stuff without sounding either snide and insincere, or overly angry.

I think if there's mouldy food in the (presumably shared) fridge or work surfaces it's fair to bring that up without sounding like a dick - a plain "Would it be OK if you bin/eat stuff before it goes mouldy?" might be enough. I had a flatmate who was leaving pizza boxes in the recycling with bits of pizza crust in them, some of which had cultivated a furry patina - I took ages to bring it up but when I did she was really apologetic and it didn't happen again.

Chairman Yang

Let's not be hasty, there's something to be said for fuck a pig to death

Cloud

It's his food to waste, let him waste it.  It'd have gone bad by the time it got to the starving kids in Africa anyway.

Puce Moment

Have you tried mercilessly mocking his eating disorder until he finally sees sense and starts eating more appropriately?