Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:34:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Devil All The Time (2020 Netflix film)

Started by Inspector Norse, September 19, 2020, 10:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Norse

Netflix big new drama. Southern gothic feel, if rural Ohio is southern. Hillbillies fighting, men in dungarees fixing cars, preachers a-wailin' and a-yellin' and a-rapin'. Men being manly men, women being downtrodden. Shotguns, trucks and dogs. Checked shirts. Drunk cops. Serial killers in the mix for some reason.

Mixed reviews - Kermode dug it.

Handsome production, intense acting (though Robert Pattinson's turn - "scene-stealing" says one critic - is a damp squib).

I got 90 minutes in and got bored. All very moody and portentous but nothing to actually say.

Anybody else look at it?

Icehaven

Watched it, bored rigid. Pattinson is a fucking joke, how can anyone cast him in anything?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: icehaven on September 19, 2020, 10:43:00 PM
Watched it, bored rigid. Pattinson is a fucking joke, how can anyone cast him in anything?

All grown up. Box office.

Artifice.

El Unicornio, mang

I thought it was OK, decent performances and a good sense of being in that kind of sweaty, grubby, small town preachy landscape, but it seemed like the writer had just read/watched a whole lot of American Gothic Pulp Noir and put all the most worn out cliches into the script, without really adding anything of his own.

Don't mind Pattinson, very good in The Lighthouse, not sure about him in this though.

Mister Six

Very, very good in The Lighthouse. Probs gonna skip this though.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: icehaven on September 19, 2020, 10:43:00 PM

I think he got a lot of critical credibility for taking on almost exclusively "arthouse" projects (albeit very high-profile ones) after getting his start in huge franchises like Harry Potter and Twilight, and for being a more versatile actor than his appearances in those would lead you to believe. He was also known for kind of publicly sneering about Twilight, which won a lot of millennial media types over.

That said, I think putting him in a co-starring role alongside Willem Dafoe in The Lighthouse really showed up his limitations by comparison, though it was a fair attempt. Similarly to Daniel Radcliffe, I admire their sincere effort to challenge themselves moreso than their actual talent.

Inspector Norse

He was good in The Lighthouse - can't really criticise him for not being as good as Willem Dafoe, not many people are - and High Life but was pretty weedy in this.

Fr.Bigley

Pattinson cast in owt is bewildering to me. The Lighthouse was basically him trying to out Dafoe, Dafoe. He's also shite in the role he was supposed to standout in "Cosmopolis" (I bet he thought it was his Bale moment). The Devil all the time was simply massively disappointing. Droll, cliche of some southern psuedo-psychological hillbillies and some southern drawl so inconsistent I didn't know which county he was supposed to be from.

Pattinson is in the same vain of inexplicable castings as Harry fucking Styles. Lets get a no mark from the x-factor, put him with the other rejects, become a worldwide phenomenon then obviously start casting the little shit in Hollywood films because some perfume house gave him an endorsement and 20 somethings will go to the cinema. Gash.

Rant over.

wooders1978

He's not in it much according to my mum who gave me a lukewarm review today having watched it last night - sounds dull, can't be arsed

Bence Fekete

Excellent in Good Time I thought.

I thought I'd like this on paper with it's Place Beyond the Pines style generational narrative and There Will Be Blood portentions but, alas, it just doesn't seem to have a thread I could attach to.

I might give it another shot in case something develops but after 60 minutes I felt like I'd watched a whole film I was already in the process of forgetting. 

Garam

Robert Pattinson in Good Time is one of the performances of the decade. He's legit good but it will take a while to convince people that have a kneejerk reaction against ex-heartthrobs because they think its a mark of intelligence (Blodwyn etc)

thugler

Pattinson is great! since the vampire films he was in, which I never saw, he's done loads of great indie stuff like high life and the aforementioned good time.

A far cry from harry styles really.