Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:41:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Art vs Unemployment

Started by SpiderChrist, September 20, 2020, 06:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpiderChrist

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/sep/20/royal-academys-cruel-dilemma-sell-a-michelangelo-or-lose-150-jobs

How is this even a fucking debate? You're sitting on a single asset worth £100m but you have to consider whether to sell it to save people's jobs.

I fucking give up. Stick a knife into my temple and turf me into a ditch. I don't want to live in a world like this anymore.

Fr.Bigley

"Cruel Dilema"- Is it? "Sorry steve, I know your mortgage is due and you'll probably lose everything once you're forced onto the dole but this is a nice picture, and you're not a celebrated polymath are you? just got an M.A in art at bradford polytechnic.....you see?"

Fuck this all man, fuck it all.

idunnosomename

well. it would have an export ban placed on it, and there'd be a public campaign to buy it for the nation before it went in some oligarch or sultan's vault. partly the art fund would kick in I guess. it would be a bit of a shitshow.

if another museum like the V&A had money to give i'd be all for it (since it is an oldball in their collection, and the Leonardo Cartoon having gone to the NG from them too), but putting it on the open market isn't really a solution imo.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on September 20, 2020, 06:06:10 PM
"Cruel Dilema"- Is it? "Sorry steve, I know your mortgage is due and you'll probably lose everything once you're forced onto the dole but this is a nice picture

Michaelenangelo is not a painter, he is a sculpture.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Presumably 100m saves a lot more than than 150 jobs.

JUST MAKE MORE ART

Bazooka

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 20, 2020, 07:29:18 PM

I think you'll find its a cheese.

Butchers Blind

Make forgeries and keep selling them for £100m. 

Shoulders?-Stomach!

H-O-W-L

The Mollusk

thenoise

Quote from: Butchers Blind on September 20, 2020, 08:47:37 PM
Make forgeries and keep selling them for £100m.

Or make postcards of it and sell 100m of them.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: thenoise on September 20, 2020, 11:12:07 PM
Or make postcards of it and sell 100m of them.

Keep the painting and put their employees up for auction.

idunnosomename

LOOK IT ISNT A PAINTING

HERE IT IS

WHAT D'YA RECKON CAB? OUTTA 10?

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 21, 2020, 12:07:38 AM
LOOK IT ISNT A PAINTING

HERE IT IS

Needs one of those Viz Sunday Supplement pisstakes.  Or even a place in 'Up the Arse Corner'

Tony Tony Tony

idunnosomename

cunt couldnt even finish it. but he could do the baby's cock and balls to a high degree. what a dirty, stinking old fucker mikey was

Rizla

I can sympathise, like, I've got an original early 70s Dallas Arbiter fuzzface pedal in a box somewhere that's worth a grand, and every so often I think "should maybe sell that, feed the kids n that" but then I wouldn't have the pedal. It's even the same shape as the michaelangelo thing too. It's a hard one.

imitationleather

It looks like a really sophisticated e.

UK police have issued a warning to drug users after intercepting a "dangerous" batch of MDMA pills shaped like timeless Renaissance masterpieces.

The Malcolm Gladwell podcast mentioned in the article, about the enormous amounts of  valuable artwork that financially struggling galleries keep unseen and locked away in their vaults, and the reasons for this mad case of affairs is a really enjoyable listen:

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/42-dragon-psychology-101

In a way, there are some echoes in it with Rizla's point above, the obsessive and endless acquisition and hoarding of valuable artworks that art curators and gallery managers take part in seems to me like a really extreme version of a collector tendency, an inability to let go of things, that is actually pretty common and a lot of people wrestle with, and some people actually relish.But wheras most people would have a sense, when they run out of shelf and floor space, that their book collection or record collection or taxidermised animal collection or whatever is getting out of hand, people who run galleries are actually encouraged to just buy and buy and buy in the name of civilisation, cultural curation and other funny abstractions.

Paul Calf

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 21, 2020, 12:07:38 AM
LOOK IT ISNT A PAINTING

HERE IT IS

That's the special Internet Explorer logo for high-net-worth individuals with a subscription to Windows ME ME ME.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 20, 2020, 07:29:18 PM

Whats that chapel ceiling then, scotch mist?

thenoise

Get some cunt to colour it in it'd be worth like 200m right? Then maybe you could pay your staff a decent fucking wage.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on September 21, 2020, 12:00:49 PM
Whats that chapel ceiling then, scotch mist?
he can do a paintin if he wants but he is really a sculpture.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: thenoise on September 21, 2020, 12:09:24 PM
Get some cunt to colour it in it'd be worth like 200m right? Then maybe you could pay your staff a decent fucking wage.

Bump. Ask Hirst to plaster the cunt in jewels and it's quadrupled in value for the love of god!

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Astronaut Omens on September 21, 2020, 11:53:30 AM
The Malcolm Gladwell podcast mentioned in the article, about the enormous amounts of  valuable artwork that financially struggling galleries keep unseen and locked away in their vaults, and the reasons for this mad case of affairs is a really enjoyable listen:

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/42-dragon-psychology-101

In a way, there are some echoes in it with Rizla's point above, the obsessive and endless acquisition and hoarding of valuable artworks that art curators and gallery managers take part in seems to me like a really extreme version of a collector tendency, an inability to let go of things, that is actually pretty common and a lot of people wrestle with, and some people actually relish.But wheras most people would have a sense, when they run out of shelf and floor space, that their book collection or record collection or taxidermised animal collection or whatever is getting out of hand, people who run galleries are actually encouraged to just buy and buy and buy in the name of civilisation, cultural curation and other funny abstractions.

There is an excellent book called The Legacy of Mark Rothko which goes into the shady world of high-priced art galleries and how they operate.

Fr.Bigley

Should just be the shady world of Saatchi to be fair. As an Art Alumni, that mother fuckers empire seemed to dictate the market for the best part of 2 decades.

privatefriend

Start an OnlyFans account to raise funds, some of those old statues are pretty tidy.