Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:27:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Super Mario 3D All Stars

Started by Consignia, September 20, 2020, 06:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Funnily enough, I finished 100%-ing Sunshine a couple of days ago, too. I took a break after doing the main game, because the blue coins were going to be such a faff, but in the end I just watched a youtube of their locations and shot through it that way. Squirt water at the moon in a certain mission, on a certain mushroom; that's the kind of horseshit we're dealing with.

Spiral King

Quote from: Kelvin on October 31, 2020, 11:25:42 PM
Funnily enough, I finished 100%-ing Sunshine a couple of days ago, too. I took a break after doing the main game, because the blue coins were going to be such a faff, but in the end I just watched a youtube of their locations and shot through it that way. Squirt water at the moon in a certain mission, on a certain mushroom; that's the kind of horseshit we're dealing with.

That's really the bottom line on it: Sunshine doesn't respect your time at all. Even if you're doing a vanilla run, the amount of times I had to go back and get a fruit, to go get Yoshi, to make a fish platform in that Ricco Harbour level was maddening. It was easier once I knew I had to change fruits, but I had to look that up. Same with the blue coins - I had lists. But on almost every stage, I'd be at 29 Blue Coins and be searching for the one coin I missed in the laundry list of similar coin locations/unlock methods. No other game in the 3D Mario series asks you to do mindless repetitive busy work so frequently.

I'm currently around 15 Stars into Galaxy and it's such a 180. Every Star feels skilled based and it's straight to the point. No endless noodling while eyeing a guide on your phone. Just good, tight platforming. Bliss.

Spiral King

Good reason to double post - a new patch (v.1.1.0)  was dropped today that includes support for the GameCube controller, inverted camera controls (both of which will hopefully delight Big Mclargehuge), and a bunch of tweaks to Sunshine to make it more in line with the 2002 original.

I also finished Galaxy as Mario about a week ago. Such a good game.  I think it's very telling that getting all 120 stars in 64 and Galaxy only took me 25 hours each-ish. Where as Sunshine took me a whopping 60 with all the busy work. Giving it a rest (and giving Odyssey its first replay - utter bliss!), and coming back to Luigi's run later on for a full 100%.

Spiral King

Hello, yes, I'm going for the obnoxious triple reply.

Just to say that a few days ago I 100%'ed Luigi's run on Galaxy, and completely finished my playthrough of this. Galaxy was a joy to run through again after my Odyssey replay. It really is one of the best 3D Marios. The fact it's not my absolute favourite speaks only to the quality of both 3D World and Odyssey.

So thoughts on the overall package - I'd say I got my money's worth out of it. My final play time looked roughly like this:

Super Mario 64 - 20 hours
Super Mario Sunshine - 60 hours (fucking hell)
Super Mario Galaxy (Mario) - 20 hours
Super Mario Galaxy (Luigi) - 25 hours

So, 125 total. Roughly 50 cents per hour spent. Not bad. I can see what people say about it being a swizz, generally, but I think two of the games were good enough to justify the purchase and the one that wasn't was some unfinished business that I'm glad I finally settled. Would I say that the average person should buy it? Probably not. I think it's painfully obvious that these will all be released seperately in April (probably with Galaxy 2 in tow), at a slightly increased price ($25 for each maybe?). But for me, a Mario obsessive, it was a no brainer. It's also just nice to own these games physically. And for the first time, for Mario 64.