Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:24:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Second 2020 Wimblewrong?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, September 21, 2020, 11:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

I'm probably being a bit selfish as I never participate, due to not having Photoshop and having little imagination, but given we are looking at a period of even less to do for the next few months would another Wimblewrong (doubles perhaps?) help keep us smiling?

The Mollusk

There was a bit of chat about this at the time of the tournament (which was, what, 6 hours ago? 3 years? What is time) but I think rolling right from one into the next would have lead to some real creative burnout. However, the amount of time now passed, which is somewhere between 6 hours and 3 years, is probably roughly enough of a break to get another one going.

selectivememory

I think doubles would be a better idea than another singles tournament, which might be a bit demanding so soon after the last one, and the collaborative aspect of it could be a lot of fun. I guess we'd need to hash out a format that would work[nb]Like, should partners prepare one shot each per round, but share ideas behind the scenes, or should each shot be a full-on collaborative effort?[/nb], and we'd want a minimum of 16 players (so eight teams) for it to be worth the bother[nb]Could perhaps do a little group round before the knock-out stages if we wanted to stretch the tournament out a little? Or, on the other hand, we could have three or four shots per team per match?[/nb].

While we're here, I'll just suggest that as an alternative, if people aren't really feeling up for the competition but are still up for a photoshop game, we could revive Chinese Wrongspers[nb]Here are the old threads: 1, 2, and 3. I can't believe it's been five years since the last game.[/nb], which I think might appeal to some non-Wimblewrongers too, because there's less pressure to produce high-quality work.

The Mollusk

I like the idea of doubles, but I think a collaborative effort for each shot would be asking too much. It would likely work better if, like tennis, each shot is made by an individual player.

Like this:

Shot 1: Team A, Player 1
Shot 2: Team B, Player 1
Shot 3: Team A, Player 2
Shot 4: Team B, Player 2

Each player only being able to create one shot per match might not be the most engaging way for people to play, though. The only way to extend that is to have a total of 8 shots, which conversely seems excessive. Not as many people have free time on their hands as they did earlier in the year, so the matches could end up going on for a couple of weeks each.

Another alternative would be:

Shot 5: Team A, collaborative effort
Shot 6: Team B, collaborative effort

On paper, that's a much more fun way to play, but how exactly would a collaboration work? Discussing ideas remotely back and forth and the possibility of people using different image software are hindrances that I think would end up being far too time-consuming.

Them's my thoughts.

selectivememory

Yeah. Lot of good points there. As far as collaborating goes, maybe each player should be 100% responsible for actually making their own shot using whatever image software they want, but then have the option of using their teammate to help them develop ideas and provide feedback on the shots before they post them. All of that done in private, obviously, and we'll have to take it on trust that the player posting the shot has been solely responsible for editing it, but it will be OK if the concept has come more from the teammate than the player posting the shot.

I guess each team will work differently though, I'm sure there are people who are quite independent and will be confident enough to make their shots by themselves without any input from their partner.

A brief sketch of how the tournament might work:

Assuming that we have eight teams[nb]As I doubt we'll get enough interest for there to be 16 teams[/nb], rather than start with quarterfinals, we divide them into two groups. Each team plays a match against every other team in their group, so every team is guaranteed at least three matches if they enter the competition. At the end of the group stage, the top two teams from each group go through to the semifinals (winners play runner-ups).

In the group stages and semifinals, the format of the matches are as follows:

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 22, 2020, 10:22:29 AM

And then in the final, we can simply double the amount of shots, so every player will play two, for a total of eight (or we do the traditional six shots, and the teams can choose between themselves who posts their final shot, or collaborate if they like).

I might start a General Bullshit thread later on to see how much interest there is. Before I do, I'd be curious to see if any of the usual Wimblewrongers who still keep tabs on this subforum are interested or have any suggestions for how it should work. If enough people want to play, I'm quite happy to run the thing again.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

I am very much for this sort of thing.

The Mollusk

Starting a GB thread is probably a good idea. Drum up some support from the proles, cajole all the plainclothes Wrongers who swore they'd put that life behind them and took an oath to never use their powers again.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: selectivememory on September 22, 2020, 03:33:28 PM
Yeah. Lot of good points there. As far as collaborating goes, maybe each player should be 100% responsible for actually making their own shot using whatever image software they want, but then have the option of using their teammate to help them develop ideas and provide feedback on the shots before they post them. All of that done in private, obviously, and we'll have to take it on trust that the player posting the shot has been solely responsible for editing it, but it will be OK if the concept has come more from the teammate than the player posting the shot.

I guess each team will work differently though, I'm sure there are people who are quite independent and will be confident enough to make their shots by themselves without any input from their partner.
I agree - leave the amount of collaboration for each team to decide. Mandatory collaboration would just lead to "I'm doing most of the work and they're just adding some stupid words" and "they're shooting down all my ideas and it's MY GO" and "where the hell are they, I sent them my bit two days ago, we'll miss the deadline".

I think a group stage followed by a knockout stage is a great idea, especially if we're doing a four-shot match with one shot per player. Everyone gets a few goes but the rounds are still short and nobody ends up in the semis or finals all out of ideas.

selectivememory

Cool. I'll start a GB thread sometime this evening. I'll assume I can put all of your names on the sign-up sheet.

Anyway, just knocked together a provisional list of rules. By all means, challenge anything you don't think is right or clear, or suggest amendments. I'd prefer this to be as simple as possible, so if I've overlooked something or if you think you have a better idea, please let me know.

1. Wimblewrong Doubles will be contested by eight teams, each of which will consist of two players. The moderator will randomly draw players with their partners before the tournament gets underway.

2. The eight teams will be divided into two groups, Groups A and B, and within those groups each team will play each other team (so if you enter the tournament, you will play a minimum of three matches). A win is worth three points, a draw one point, and a defeat zero points. After all three rounds of the group stage have been played, the teams in the top two positions will proceed to the semifinals. The winner of Group A will play the runner-up of Group B, and vice-versa.

3. If there is a tie in the amount of points won in a group, rankings will be determined by head-to-head records, and if that doesn't resolve things, we will take into account votes for and against in all three rounds, and those with the greatest positive difference overall will qualify.

4. Each match will consist of two shots per team, except the final which will consist of four shots per team. Each individual player must produce one shot per match in the earlier rounds, and two in the final. Players may consult with their teammates in private (via PMs) to develop ideas, and to have feedback provided on their shots before posting in the match threads. However, the player posting the shot must be 100% responsible for creating the image with their image editing software of choice. Players aren't obliged to consult with their teammates if they prefer working independently on their own shots.

5. The order in which players will post their shots will be determined by the moderator, so you will know whether you are posting the first, second, third or fourth shot before the match begins.

6. The player with the opening shot (i.e. the server) can put what they want in their picture.  But all subsequent pictures (i.e. the return) must contain, either visually or conceptually, an element of the previous picture.

7. The pictures will be 800 x 600, or 600 x 800 pixels in size, and must be still images.

8. Voting will take place by posting the name of your favourite team in the match thread immediately after play has ended (i.e. when the 4th picture of each match has been posted).  The voting will last for 48 hours. A draw is a legitimate result in the group stages, but if in the semifinal and final rounds two teams are tied after the voting period has passed, the voting time will be extended by 12 hours, and if after that there is no winner, the next team to get a vote will win the tie.

9. Common sense prevails in image choice.

10. Pictures can be uploaded to places like imgur for those who have no webspace, but the picture must be displayed in the game thread.

And a reminder of time permitted:  You have 72 hours to post an image from when the round starts or from when the last shot has been posted. Keep a look out on your game for when your opponent posts their shot, as it's from that time that the 72 hours start.

Mr Farenheit

Thanks for organising all this selectivememory!

Maybe a rule to decide what happens if a player drops out for whatever reason?
Would be a bit unfair on their partner if they were to forefeit the match so maybe he/she is allowed to look for a replacement or can take over the missing player's shot(s) if it happens mid-match?

selectivememory

If someone drops out in the group rounds, I'll try and find a replacement, and in the later rounds, maybe someone from an eliminated team could step in (which is what we usually do if someone drops out of the singles after the first round; we give the higher-scoring losers a chance to play another match).

In a pinch, I would be happy to play a shot if I have to to get a match finished, although hopefully that would just be a temporary solution, and we'd be able to find someone to step in after the match has been completed if necessary.

selectivememory

Would people still want to play if we have as few as 10 players taking part? In that case, I think we'd just need to do one big group stage, everyone gets four matches, and then the top two performing teams play each other again in an extended final match to decide it.

If we get 12, we can still do the two group format that we'd originally planned. Anyway, I'm still going to give it a while for people to sign up, but I don't know how likely we are to get many more at this point.

rue the polywhirl

Me in! More than happy to help make up the numbers.

selectivememory

Nice one. Up to nine players now, hopefully we can ensnare at least three more before we start.

Spoon of Ploff

okay fuck it. despite what i said earlier i volunteer to make up the numbers..

just when i thought i was out etc etc...

selectivememory

We got him folks! Just need two more and we can probably start thinking about getting this tournament going.

selectivememory

I'm thinking about getting this started soon. I'll put out a last call for people to sign up, give them a couple of days, and if no one else wants to play, I'll draw the teams on Friday and then we'll begin on Saturday. If it is just 10 players we'll do one big group stage, so there'll be five rounds of two matches each, every team gets four matches, and then the best two performing teams play each other in the final.

Everyone ready to start soon?

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

yes, but more peeps would be good.

selectivememory

We could keep it open a bit longer. I'm probably being a little impatient, although I don't feel confident we'll get many more at this point. But no harm in leaving it a few more days.

I'm looking forward to this, it'll be a bit of fun.

selectivememory

Yeah, I think it'll be good, even if it is just the 10 players. But I have extended the sign-up period for two more days just in case we do get a couple more wanting to join in at the last minute. So on Sunday I'll draw the teams, and then we'll start playing on Monday.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Come on, pretty please. Join us!