Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:39:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Microphones - Microphones in 2020

Started by holyzombiejesus, September 21, 2020, 02:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Really in to this. 1 45 minute track and accompanying "film".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7BkabF31ak

I had one of their records ages ago but remember nothing about it and have subsequently sold. Then he went on to do that Mount Eerie thing about his dead wife which sounded a bit miserable so I gave that a swerve but will probably go back and listen now.

sevendaughters

I think this is a really good record, one of my favourites of the year. Wasn't so into the last two Mt Eerie records for all their critical positivity. M2020 is a real journey, as good as the better Microphones records that aren't The Glow Pt. 2.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 21, 2020, 04:19:42 PM
I think this is a really good record, one of my favourites of the year. Wasn't so into the last two Mt Eerie records for all their critical positivity. M2020 is a real journey, as good as the better Microphones records that aren't The Glow Pt. 2.

It's just brilliant. Annoying on vinyl as it's spread over 3 sides but am looking forward to an autumnal walk over the drizzly moors tomorrow with it on my ipod. Reminds me a lot of that ace Crescent album that Geographic put out a few years back.

Are you familiar with his stuff? Just looked on Discogs and he's really prolific. Are there any particular things you'd recommend?

sevendaughters

Crescent is a good shout. I'd never made the connection actually but that kind of intimate, homespun atmosphere feels very similar.

I'd say the two standouts are The Glow Pt. 2 and Wind's Poem.

The former (as The Microphones) is kind of considered his magnum opus, the work he'll never top, and I'd say it's one of the records of its time that really stands out (in the weird window between Britpop and 9/11 where things seemed more open and free and possible). It plays like an inward journey after the opening run of bangers: I get this distinct mental image of rowing to a deserted island in a lake when I hear it. It's uncanny stuff.

'The Glow Pt. 2' (song)

Wind's Poem (as Mt. Eerie) was billed as Phil does black metal - and while there is a small amount of that - it connects really well to his enchanted owl jumper man in the woods vibe. It's a really good and diverse set of songs on the whole, rooted in the atmospherics of metal if not the actual sounds in the most part.

'Between Two Mysteries'

Generally speaking the main Microphones records are Don't Wake Me Up, It Was Hot We Stayed In The Water and - confusingly - Mount Eerie. In my view there's good on each but nothing that couldn't be pared down to one good playlist. There's also some other Microphones records that have a lesser status - either limited, fractured somehow, format-only, super lo-fi - I wouldn't go here unless you're an ardent fan.

I'd be lying if I said I was strongly familiar with all of Mt Eerie's stuff. The double set from 2012 Clear Moon/Ocean Roar was fairly high-yield, while everything pre-Wind's Poem seems to lack a certain something for me.

holyzombiejesus

Ah, thanks for that. Will look out for those two.