Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:27:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jonathan Ross' Comedy Club

Started by billyandthecloneasaurus, September 22, 2020, 02:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyandthecloneasaurus

I don't really have anything interesting to say about it, except that it's (generally) always good to have stand-up on proper telly without the usual GAMESHOW competitive element attached to it, though I wish it was a little bit longer and the comedians had a bit more time for their sets.

Mostly of interest to me cus Jordan Brookes was on the other night, and he did alright, especially the cracking dig at Wossy's expense.

Utter Shit

It's great to see some different people instead of the endless cycle of the same 20 or so comics, but I wish they had maybe half the number of acts and gave them all a bit longer.

Also the co-host is incredibly annoying, although one line from his skiing song last week did make me laugh a lot:

"I heard you can slip and look like a dickhead
I ain't a dickhead"

up_the_hampipe

Great to see Jordan Brookes getting a TV spot, but absolutely nothing else about this is good. Bad format and bad acts.

Kae Kurd is under fire for ripping off a bit about smart fridges (yeah I know) in the first episode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcfVh6ZF8N4

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 22, 2020, 04:42:58 PM
Great to see Jordan Brookes getting a TV spot, but absolutely nothing else about this is good. Bad format and bad acts.

Kae Kurd is under fire for ripping off a bit about smart fridges (yeah I know) in the first episode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcfVh6ZF8N4

I saw Kae Kurd back in August at an open air comedy gig, where he took the piss out of people who get annoyed with those who don't wear masks in shops, and he also had some horrible material concerning gender neutral toilets and those who think they're important, so he can absolutely go fuck himself, the talentless cunt.

olliebean

I saw a clip of it the other day, and it's basically stand-up but with Wossy in the audience, laughing, with his mic distractingly turned up almost as high as the act's. Because some exec has decided people won't watch stand-up unless they can feel they're laughing along with someone more famous than the person they're watching? I don't know.

Rev+

Was this always on the cards, or is it a hastily organised bit of new programming for the plague era?  Fair do's if it's the latter really, as it's at least a vehicle for stand-ups in wobbly times, but from the little I saw of it the other night there was a real dystopian tingle to the whole thing.  One last laugh in the bunker as it all falls apart, lads.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Rev+ on September 22, 2020, 08:39:58 PM
Was this always on the cards, or is it a hastily organised bit of new programming for the plague era?  Fair do's if it's the latter really, as it's at least a vehicle for stand-ups in wobbly times, but from the little I saw of it the other night there was a real dystopian tingle to the whole thing.  One last laugh in the bunker as it all falls apart, lads.

It's a plague era show. I've watched it now and didn't think it was too bad either, Ross is unbelievably shit but the choice of acts is fairly decent (well, I was very fond of Brookes, Bec Hill, Sophie Duker and Leo Reich, anyhow, and only Kurd was awful).

Puce Moment

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 22, 2020, 04:50:24 PMI saw Kae Kurd back in August at an open air comedy gig, where he took the piss out of people who get annoyed with those who don't wear masks in shops, and he also had some horrible material concerning gender neutral toilets and those who think they're important, so he can absolutely go fuck himself, the talentless cunt.

I can't believe he went ahead with that even after speaking with the guy about it. He must have known that would come back to bite him. Perhaps he thought it was worth throwing the dice on it, with the prime time exposure outweighing the backlash from a lesser-known comedian. It seemed to work well for Amy Schumer[nb]and Pasquale lol[/nb], and now the cunt can put "As appeared on.." on his Edinburgh posters.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 24, 2020, 09:36:39 AM
It's a plague era show. I've watched it now and didn't think it was too bad either, Ross is unbelievably shit but the choice of acts is fairly decent (well, I was very fond of Brookes, Bec Hill, Sophie Duker and Leo Reich, anyhow, and only Kurd was awful).

Bec Hill was doing Peter Kay's misheard lyrics bit with some arts and crafts props. Hated it. Hate the show. Hate life.

sevendaughters

I know it wasn't on JRCC but Trevor Noah is advertising his new special with the same 'you can't slam a mobile phone down like an old style phone' that Jerry Seinfeld was doing in the 90s.

Brookes was head and shoulders above everyone on this, and it wasn't really him at his best. The cuts to Ross' face were intolerable.

kitsofan34

Why is he sat on the stage mic'd up, looming over the acts like some feudal lord?

Cold Meat Platter

Brundle-Fly

Watched a bit tonight, Forced and fragmented.

A double act coming your way soon.  Ho ho....etc

Rolf Lundgren

I turned away momentarily as one of the comedians came on. By the time I turned back, a different comedian was ending their act. Then headliner Tom Allen came out and did about 3 minutes. Unless you're a Tim Vine type act, this format just won't work. They're giving precisely no time to get their personas across.

olliebean

It's probably a format point that no act's persona shall be more prominent than Jonathan Ross's.

Caught the second episode of this, and it was ok-ish. It's kinda like a showcase but you've really got to nail it as you get less time than a comedian on Britains Got Talent. I particularly felt sorry for the up and coming acts who get a half a minute slot.

checkoutgirl

Why do I hate Jonathan Ross so much? I can't stand him. I'm sure I hate Piers Morgan, Jeremy Clarkson and Jimmy Carr more but still. Anything with Wossy in it is an immediate no from me.

Am I wrong to hate Ross and avoid anything he's in? Is there anything approaching consensus on this? I just want to punch his face in anytime I accidently see it. Punch him right up the bracket.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 27, 2020, 02:19:14 PM
Why do I hate Jonathan Ross so much? I can't stand him. I'm sure I hate Piers Morgan, Jeremy Clarkson and Jimmy Carr more but still. Anything with Wossy in it is an immediate no from me.

Am I wrong to hate Ross and avoid anything he's in? Is there anything approaching consensus on this? I just want to punch his face in anytime I accidently see it. Punch him right up the bracket.

Nah, that is the correct response. I put my hatred down partially due to his arrogance, but I also hated the way he used to interview female guests on his chat show and flirt with them in a cringeworthy and slimy manner.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 27, 2020, 02:27:48 PM
Nah, that is the correct response. I put my hatred down partially due to his arrogance, but I also hated the way he used to interview female guests on his chat show and flirt with them in a cringeworthy and slimy manner.

The turning point for me was about 15 years ago when he interviewed David Cameron and implied Cameron thought of Margaret Thatcher while masturbating. Aside from being offputting it's just a rubbish joke. It's just not amusing and a bit horrible. An unfunny sleazebag. I'm sure I've heard that he has or at least had a penchant for getting his knob out, something fellow pure cunts like Ricky Gervais and Keith Allen also were known for.

Also as you say his smug self satisfaction is off the scale. Like the cat who ate the cat who got the cream. His subsequent buddy buddy friendship with Ricky Gervais was just more evidence of his vomit inducing qualities, something Stephen Merchant once held Gervais to account for on their radio show.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 27, 2020, 02:42:42 PM
The turning point for me was about 15 years ago when he interviewed David Cameron and implied Cameron thought of Margaret Thatcher while masturbating. Aside from being offputting it's just a rubbish joke. It's just not amusing and a bit horrible. An unfunny sleazebag. I'm sure I've heard that he has or at least had a penchant for getting his knob out, something fellow pure cunts like Ricky Gervais and Keith Allen also were known for.

Also as you say his smug self satisfaction is off the scale. Like the cat who ate the cat who got the cream. His subsequent buddy buddy friendship with Ricky Gervais was just more evidence of his vomit inducing qualities, something Stephen Merchant once held Gervais to account for on their radio show.

I wasn't aware of any of that, but christ it's bleak reading and gives me more reasons to dislike the twat.

up_the_hampipe

The turning point for me was about 15 years ago when he interviewed David Cameron and implied Cameron thought of Margaret Thatcher while masturbating. Aside from being offputting it's just a rubbish joke. It's just not amusing and a bit horrible. An unfunny sleazebag.

Oh. That's always been one of the reasons why I can't hate him. I thought it was hilarious to make Cameron that uncomfortable, but I guess it's you and The Daily Mail who found that unseemly.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 27, 2020, 03:34:49 PM
I guess it's you and The Daily Mail who found that unseemly.

That's hardly fair, like I'm some fuddy-duddy because I don't enjoy Ross's constant cheap innuendo and below the belt sleaziness. I would have thought you could do better than that. If he had pinned Cameron on starving children or undermining the NHS I'd say fair play. But "Ha ha, you picture Maggie when you're waxing the dolphin, ha ha ha". Jesus christ. Come on man, that's just fucking shite. You're prepared to tell me that you find that remotely amusing? If it was half way funny I'd probably mind at lot less.

Maybe it's generational. You're in your early to mid twenties I'm guessing. Then again, maybe not. I would have been 25 or 26 when Cameron did that interview with Ross, no doubt in an attempt to seem cool and down wiv da kidz.

DrGreggles

I think it's good that such a show exists, but the acts need more screen time and the host isn't really suitable (although I understand why he got the gig).
2 acts per week please.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 27, 2020, 03:57:48 PM
That's hardly fair, like I'm some fuddy-duddy because I don't enjoy Ross's constant cheap innuendo and below the belt sleaziness. I would have thought you could do better than that. If he had pinned Cameron on starving children or undermining the NHS I'd say fair play. But "Ha ha, you picture Maggie when you're waxing the dolphin, ha ha ha". Jesus christ. Come on man, that's just fucking shite. You're prepared to tell me that you find that remotely amusing? If it was half way funny I'd probably mind at lot less.

Maybe it's generational. You're in your early to mid twenties I'm guessing. Then again, maybe not. I would have been 25 or 26 when Cameron did that interview with Ross, no doubt in an attempt to seem cool and down wiv da kidz.

Soz, I was being cheeky. But it was an off-the-cuff line, not really a prepared "this'll get him" question. Not wildly creative and brilliant, but to say it to the leader of the Conservative Party during a fluffy TV interview is very funny. Let's not pretend it's just a "lol u do wanky" joke, there's a whole context that made it outrageous and funny, at least to me.

BlodwynPig

The show is a mirage, what you are watching is Jonathan sat at home watching covert video of the time his brother did drugs and fucked a bricklayer in a lay-by. The 'comedy' show as added in post-production.

ProvanFan

Brundle-Fly

I used to love The Last Resort and his various sttrange film shows. His radio show was good too so I'm not going to write him off that easily. He does seem quite mercurial though when it comes to his celeb chums.

An unfunny sleazebag. I'm sure I've heard that he has or at least had a penchant for getting his knob out, something fellow pure cunts like Ricky Gervais and Keith Allen also were known for.

I've been re-listening to Gervais/Merchant/Pilkington's old XFM shows, as the full shows minus the music are up as podcasts on Spotify.  During one of the shows, Ross turns up (having just finished his own show on Radio 2 down the road) and Gervais makes a point of saying that Ross had his dick out as he entered the studio.   

Pilkington also says on a couple of occasions how he would go round to Gervais' house and be greeted at the door by Gervais with his dick out too. 

Grim bants.

chveik