Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:01:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brannigans Crisps RIP

Started by dr_christian_troy, September 22, 2020, 03:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wee Jock Poo-Pong McPlop

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on September 22, 2020, 03:37:59 PM
With a craving for Brannigans crisps in mind, which have been appearing in various corner shops and supermarkets up until very recently, I emailed KP directly and received the following reply:

As small a sadness as this is in the current climate, it is yet another FFS in relation to my memories of taste bliss.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brannigans-Roast-beef-and-mustard-flavour-Crisps-5-Pack-bb-date-12-12-2020/224176259001?hash=item3431f23fb9:g:U9MAAOSwEeRfcIQv

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 30, 2020, 10:56:37 PM
How did we get from lovely Brannigans potato snacks to shards of pork fat

They took the brannigans away. It's basically snack austerity.

monkfromhavana

In all honesty, I don't remember seeing a bag of Brannigans anywhere in about 20 years. In all that time I haven't missed them, or even thought about them until this thread.

I'm glad they're gone.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Perhaps the DNA, their flavour powder can be captured and bottled.

I'd eat Brannigans ham and pickle instant noodles.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 01, 2020, 08:39:14 AM
Perhaps the DNA, their flavour powder can be captured and bottled.

I'd eat Brannigans ham and pickle instant noodles.

If Brannigans still existed you could've thrown them in with an appropriate flavour of super noodles.

This sounds demented but when looking at those Black Country Snacks Jalepeno things, I found this in an Amazon review.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: buzby on September 25, 2020, 10:43:35 AM
Still commonly available - in stock at Asda, Tesco and Ocado's online stores. £1.50 for a 6-bag multipack.

Found some, thanks again Buzby.

They taste mostly like I remember. Just need someone to invent that crisp testing time machine to double check.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Brian Freeze on October 16, 2020, 02:24:03 PM
Found some, thanks again Buzby.

They taste mostly like I remember. Just need someone to invent that crisp testing time machine to double check.

richardherring.com/kettlecrisps.php

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 16, 2020, 02:56:36 PM
richardherring.com/kettlecrisps.php

Link doesn't work, but if that's him saying Kettle Chips don't taste anything like they used to - he's dead right and it's nowt to do with age or changing taste buds.  The salt and balsamic vinegar ones used to burn the roof of your mouth they were so strong and cause that pain you get in the jowels when you eat or drink something sour, but now they're almost ready salted.  Fucking joke.

I keep on saying it, but my crisp flavour conspiracy theory is hard to argue with.

buzby

Quite fitting that this thread has popped back up as there's a possible new twist to this story.

I went to do my weekly shop earlier and popped into the same B&M where I bought their last multipack at the end of September to post to dr_christian_troy. Those were part of that last batch that had a BBE date of 13/12/20. I walked dow nthe crisp aisle and there was a shelf stuffed full of Roast Beef & Mustard multipacks, this time with a 29/12/20 BBE date, i.e. made 16 days after that 'last batch'.

I reckon this new batch was manufactured at the end of September, coinciding with when the scalpers were listing multipacks from the 'last batch' at £8-£9 a pop on eBay. Call me a cynic, but I think we might be getting played here...

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: buzby on October 16, 2020, 05:15:07 PM
Quite fitting that this thread has popped back up as there's a possible new twist to this story.

I went to do my weekly shop earlier and popped into the same B&M where I bought their last multipack at the end of September to post to dr_christian_troy. Those were part of that last batch that had a BBE date of 13/12/20. I walked dow nthe crisp aisle and there was a shelf stuffed full of Roast Beef & Mustard multipacks, this time with a 29/12/20 BBE date, i.e. made 16 days after that 'last batch'.

I reckon this new batch was manufactured at the end of September, coinciding with when the scalpers were listing multipacks from the 'last batch' at £8-£9 a pop on eBay. Call me a cynic, but I think we might be getting played here...

You realise with this news you've just pulled the trigger on a covid style panic buy...

"Our customer base is normally super old people and really rough types, but one day it was full of young to middle aged balding men who all had the same walk as if they had a problem with their cock and/or balls, and they ALL gravitated to the crisp aisle and cleaned us out of Brannigans.  And then a fight broke out and they all slapped each other.  It was the strangest thing."

buzby

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 16, 2020, 05:18:02 PM
You realise with this news you've just pulled the trigger on a covid style panic buy...
There was a panic buy on them last time after the news of their 'demise' spread on social media...

Cold Meat Platter

Still plenty in my local Farmfoods as well. Haven't checked the dates though. Memories of Heinz "stopping" making salad cream years back.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI think we might be getting played here...

A pretty low level play if so!

dr_christian_troy

Hmm, maybe the sudden surge of interest gave them the incentive to produce for a little while longer? And thank you very much again buzby, I'm holding onto my 5 pack like gold dust until the cravings are essential between now and the expiry date.

Dex Sawash

It seemed like a lot of fun when I added a calendar event for this expiring final batch of crisps. The reality has been quite different. I've also probably got the wrong day due to inverted calendar format (america)

dr_christian_troy

I have four packets left from the gift very kindly provided by Buzby. All I can assume is that perhaps the press coverage made them change their minds and Brannigan's will quietly return - and if that's the case, this was all worth it.

willbo

I used to buy 6 pack bags of Brannigans from poundland here all the time. I'm gonna really miss them.

buzby

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on December 13, 2020, 05:18:09 PM
I have four packets left from the gift very kindly provided by Buzby. All I can assume is that perhaps the press coverage made them change their minds and Brannigan's will quietly return - and if that's the case, this was all worth it.
They seem to have disappeared again now, so that second batch may have been the last, unfortunately. I've still got 3 multipacks left, which are now (technically) out of date, but I'm rationing them to make them last as long as possible.

willbo

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 16, 2020, 05:04:44 PM
Link doesn't work, but if that's him saying Kettle Chips don't taste anything like they used to - he's dead right and it's nowt to do with age or changing taste buds.  The salt and balsamic vinegar ones used to burn the roof of your mouth they were so strong and cause that pain you get in the jowels when you eat or drink something sour, but now they're almost ready salted.  Fucking joke.

I keep on saying it, but my crisp flavour conspiracy theory is hard to argue with.

how long have Kettle Chips been in the UK then? I only heard of them ten years ago round my way - but there's an open bag of Kettle Chips in the first Bill n' Ted film, right in the foreground in the iconic shot when they first twiddle their air guitars!

Quote from: willbo on December 15, 2020, 02:40:40 PM
how long have Kettle Chips been in the UK then? I only heard of them ten years ago round my way - but there's an open bag of Kettle Chips in the first Bill n' Ted film, right in the foreground in the iconic shot when they first twiddle their air guitars!

My first exposure to Kettle Chips was in an episode of Ab Fab where Edina scolds Saffy for serving her party guests "Kettle crisps" in a ridiculous, derisory voice, so that'll be mid 90s at the latest.

buzby

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on December 15, 2020, 03:28:30 PM
Quote from: willbo on December 15, 2020, 02:40:40 PM
My first exposure to Kettle Chips was in an episode of Ab Fab where Edina scolds Saffy for serving her party guests "Kettle crisps" in a ridiculous, derisory voice, so that'll be mid 90s at the latest.
They first started making crisps in the US in 1982, distributed through health food stores that were already selling the company's roasted nuts and cheeses. They set up a factory in Norwich in 1988 after the founder Cameron Healy and his son had a motorcycling holiday over here the year before and noticed the British love of crisps.

Healy sold the company to a venture capital firm in 2006, and it passed though a couple of owners via mergers and aquisitions until it was aquired by the Campbell Soup Company in 2018.