Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:25:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brannigans Crisps RIP

Started by dr_christian_troy, September 22, 2020, 03:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Quote from: imitationleather on September 22, 2020, 06:37:56 PM

I like my hot crisps but these are just absurd.

If anyone can finish a bag on their own in one go no fucking about I'll give them a blowjob.
They first appeared about 2 years ago in Home & Bargains - possibly as a trial as they were going cheap. I bought a few bags, ate one myself and took another to work as there are a few chilli heads there. They were a novelty to start with, but eating a whole bag is just unpleasant - they don't really taste of much, it just seems to be pure capsicum and after about a quarter of a bag they just become an endurance test. I did see them again a few weeks ago in Home & Bargain, but passed up the opportunity this time.

Re: the Brannigans situation - I did remark in one of the Covid threads recently that they seemed to disappear from shops over the Lockdown. I'd found a twitter response from KP/Intersnack that they were still supplying them to Spar and wholesalers like Bestway and Bookers, but a trawl of small convenience shops drew a blank. gib was good enough to check at the Cash & Carry for me when resupplying his shop and confirmed that they had been discontinued. Presumably they took advantage of the Lockdown to cease production. A tragedy, as the Roast Beef & Mustard ones were my favourite crisps.

BTW, the flavours were always Roast Beef & Mustard and Smoked Ham & Pickle, as this original  packet from the launch of the brand shows:

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yes that was done on page 1.

I love the mustard kick of the beef fuckers but the ham and pickle reached a certain balance that was most effective too. I reckon the latter were slightly better and crave them to my dying breath.

touchingcloth

Quote from: imitationleather on September 22, 2020, 06:37:56 PM

I like my hot crisps but these are just absurd.

If anyone can finish a bag on their own in one go no fucking about I'll give them a blowjob.

I can eat a whole bag to myself, mainly because what I'd really like are a pack of piquant but not insane Brannigan's or Really Ruthless, but they're either toned down or no longer available. Those Trinidad Scorpion crisps are insane, but also welcome in a market where most 5 star chilli crisps don't have any bite.

idunnosomename

make cheese and onion green again

Ambient Sheep

I loved Really Ruthless Crisps but not seen them since the 90s.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: buzby on September 22, 2020, 10:24:20 PM

BTW, the flavours were always Roast Beef & Mustard and Smoked Ham & Pickle, as this original  packet from the launch of the brand shows:

Fake news.

buzby

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 23, 2020, 01:40:15 AM
make cheese and onion green again
They are green for everybody except Walkers. Even Smiths (owned by Walkers and used as their discount brand) uses green for Cheese & Onion.

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on September 23, 2020, 06:20:39 AM
I loved Really Ruthless Crisps but not seen them since the 90s.
I believe they were made at the ex-Quintins Crisps factory in Skelmersdale.

Quintins were taken over by Snackhouse plc (who had started as Bensons Crisps of Kirkham in 1977) in the early 90s.

Snackhouse went bankrupt in 2001 and the assets were bought by Longolf Foods/The Snack Factory who subsequently bought the Golden Wonder brand from a bunch of asset strippers in 2002 (Golden Wonder's original factory in Widnes had been closed in 1999, having been in operation since 1962).

Longolf subsequently went bankupt in 2006 and their Skelmersdale factory was bought by Walkers, but Tayto NI bought Golden Wonder and their other brands from the receivers. A trademark search shows Really Ruthless was owned by CTO Holdings in Belfast (one of Tayto NI's holding companies) along with the other ex-Bensons brands, but it was allowed to lapse in 2010.

Here's a beermat from their pub promotion campaign (these would have most likely been given to landlords who purchased boxes of the crisps from their sales reps).

touchingcloth

A friend of mine maintains that a friend of his works in a Golden Wonder factory, and that every so often the production line will spit out a gold rather than green packet of cheese and onion, these gold bags being intended to be eaten by the person responsible for checking quality on the production line.

My friend says he badly wants one of these golden packets of Golden Wonder for himself, but I suspect their existence may be bullshit[nb]This friend is the same friend who claims that on a night out he gave a tenner to the staff in a kebab shop so that he could come behind the counter and take a bite out of the döner cylinder while attached to the rotisserie. [/nb].

The Mollusk

Can't remember what the fuck I was doing yesterday that made me stumble upon these clutch bags but I was nevertheless amazed to discover them. I have decided to call this niche style "crisp couture".

Some fucker actually bought that Etsy one.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 23, 2020, 09:53:53 AM
A friend of mine maintains that a friend of his works in a Golden Wonder factory, and that every so often the production line will spit out a gold rather than green packet of cheese and onion, these gold bags being intended to be eaten by the person responsible for checking quality on the production line.

My friend says he badly wants one of these golden packets of Golden Wonder for himself, but I suspect their existence may be bullshit[nb]This friend is the same friend who claims that on a night out he gave a tenner to the staff in a kebab shop so that he could come behind the counter and take a bite out of the döner cylinder while attached to the rotisserie. [/nb].

I've heard that some places sometimes test how long it takes for crisps to go through the system (almost like how they give people radioactive dye's and trace it through the body) etc by dying a batch so there's a batch of bright red or green crisps flowing through. They're supposed to be easy to spot so they can be disposed of but apparently the occasional bag slips through the net.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 23, 2020, 09:56:22 AM

Can't remember what the fuck I was doing yesterday that made me stumble upon these clutch bags but I was nevertheless amazed to discover them. I have decided to call this niche style "crisp couture".

Some fucker actually bought that Etsy one.

I'd quite like to be a bling junk food influencer I reckon.

lots of pounting pics of me on instagram with a designer pork pie holder etc.

paruses

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 23, 2020, 12:03:00 AM
Yes that was done on page 1.

I love the mustard kick of the beef fuckers but the ham and pickle reached a certain balance that was most effective too. I reckon the latter were slightly better and crave them to my dying breath.

Forgotten the ham and pickle ones. Quite sad now.

As others have said the beef and mustard were a proper hot flavour you don't really get anymore. I will miss the faux-paper bag feel of the packets too.

Is there any reason for me to buy any KP products? Having discovered Aldi saver nuts I don't bother with KPs anymore.

dr beat

Quote from: buzby on September 23, 2020, 09:20:17 AM
(Golden Wonder's original factory in Widnes had been closed in 1999, having been in operation since 1962).

I remember the 'crispie' as it was locally known, very well indeed, its aromas adding in to the characteristically pungent pot-pourri of the Mersey Riviera at the time.  If you caught a pong of salt and vinegar, you knew it was Tuesday.

After closure the crispie was used as the police station in BBC's Merseybeat.

badaids

A shame it did t work out for her but at least she can concentrate on a music career comeback now.

the

D'you remember Brannigan's Beer Nuts, eh! Eh! D'you remember them! With their 1982 hit Gloria! All dead now, breaks yer 'eart

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 22, 2020, 05:32:21 PM
Germany has 'Afrika flavour' now

What's that you say

Yes, it's Afrika flavour, no explanation of any kind required cheers

They taste like social division.

idunnosomename

salt and vinegar is blue because it looks like the sea ffs walkers

Fr.Bigley

Cheese and onion Discos were so fatty, they were used in a science lesson of mine to demonstrate calorific energy. The fuckers burn red when set on fire. mind blowing.

Pure flavour though. pure flavour.

Yussef Dent

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 22, 2020, 07:23:13 PM
Seabrooks - they're another one who were amazing a few years ago and then all of sudden every flavour tastes like ready salted ("plain" etc).

They've recently bought out a Fish and Chips flavour to celebrate their 75th anniversary (Seabrook was originally a fish and chip shop, they'd fry crisps and salt them to keep customers queuing up happy), personally I think they are the worst crisps I've ever tasted. Not only do they taste awful but there is such an overpowering smell of fish from the bag that I had to put it in the wheelie bin outside. Couldn't get through half of one bag and threw the other five away. I agree with you that they've toned down the flavours of Seabrook crisps, Cream Cheese and Chive used to be bloody awesome, as was the Canadian Ham which was one of my favourites. Still good but not as mighty as they were.

Brannigans Beef and Mustard were bloody fantastic when they had the paper style bag.

touchingcloth

I think that Kettle Crisps[nb]I know they're called Kettle Chips properly, but to me they are more appropriately named Kettle Crisps. [/nb] since the 90s, and they're thinner and less flavourful now. The question is, have the changed or have I?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: buzby on September 23, 2020, 09:20:17 AM
They are green for everybody except Walkers. Even Smiths (owned by Walkers and used as their discount brand) uses green for Cheese & Onion.
I believe they were made at the ex-Quintins Crisps factory in Skelmersdale.

Some of the supermarkets have followed the Walkers scheme for their own brand crisps - at least one of Sainsbury's and Tesco have blue cheese and onion and green salt and vinegar.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: buzby on September 23, 2020, 09:20:17 AMQuintins Crisps factory in Skelmersdale.

"We asked 100 people to describe the most Northern sentence ever devised...you said Quintins Crisps factory in Skelmeresdale.....our survey said....*Pingggggg*"

You just won an Austin Montego you cunt.

Thursday

What's so good about Seabrook then? They've always looked fairly generic to me.

dissolute ocelot

Important crisp facts from Walker's:
QuoteQuestion: What do the coloured circles mean on the bottom of the bags?
Answer: The coloured circle are codes which are related to those packets.
They also claim that they use on average one potato per bag.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Thursday on September 23, 2020, 01:58:31 PM
What's so good about Seabrook then? They've always looked fairly generic to me.

Absolutely nothing any more, but go back...possibly a decade or so and they were superb - strong and consistent flavourings - and were among my favourite crisp brands.  I used to order a variety box from their online shop every christmas until one year - coinciding with the time when they started to turn up in more and more supermarkets - it was a whole box of blandness.  Every fucking packet.  I've dabbled in multipacks and individual bags since just to make sure it wasn't an unfortunate batch, but nah - they're just pretty flavourless now.

Sebastian Cobb

magval

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 22, 2020, 06:41:08 PM
These are the best crisps I've had for the sheer "strip the roof of your mouth off" factor:

I haven't seen them for years and I think I must have had only tried them two or three times. They certainly left an impression though. Like Square Crisps when you'd still get the occasional one with one side coated in weapons grade salt and vinegar dust.

I've only ever had these from a vending machine in Crewe in 2012, and from a TK Maxx in Belfast about two years ago. I think they still exist but they're hard to get. These also come in ham and mustard and are very strongly flavoured.

Great, great crisps.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Most crisps taste shite now cos they took out all the lovely E numbers, salt and saturated fat, which were what made them taste nice in the first place. It's a bag of crisps, nobody's expecting a health food.

Cold Meat Platter

Just bought a 6 pack of Brannigan's beef and mustard from a Farmfoods. Ham and pickle also extant. Last hurrah or are KP pulling your plonker?

EDIT: actually it's a five pack, the tight cunts.