Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:58:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Great British Bake-Off 2020

Started by Blue Jam, September 22, 2020, 08:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 09, 2020, 09:31:36 PM

It looks like a concoction of bacon, cheese and spinach, which sounds like it would be delicious. 

Blue Jam

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 10, 2020, 01:58:59 AM
It looks like a concoction of bacon, cheese and spinach, which sounds like it would be delicious. 

That actually sounds like a bloody good idea- cheers, I may actually try bacon, cheese and spinach bagels next. I imagine they would be lovely with chicken or turkey or halloumi as the filling.

These bagels taste nice but they are a tad sweet. I may do them again minus the food colouring but adding a load of cocoa powder. Maybe even some dark chocolate chips. I reckon you could toast them and eat them plain.

Fare thee well, Rowan.

My two favourites now are Lottie and Hermine.

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 09, 2020, 09:31:36 PM
Paul Hollywood's gay NHS rainbow bagels- DONE:

Bake-off first: contestant expelled from baking tent immediately after technical round.

They weren't given enough time to make brownies, unless you made them really thin.

Pijlstaart

Have come around on matt lucas, he seems to gel with the contestants a lot better than toksvig, think having them stay in one hotel rather than commute in has helped with the chemistry. Scouse Mark was laughing too hard at their jokes, but I'm glad of it.

Peter Peter here of the politics bar. What's going on between Peter and his brother, why bake your own brother a paedophile bait-cake? I didn't think it was normal, whether his brother is meant to be baiter or baitee, that shouldn't be on television.

Sura gone, very much a one-hit wonder. Reckon the producers have remote control of the ovens, nudge things in the right direction for the greater good, ensure anyone capable of peddling cookbooks, AKA Lottie, makes it through. Marc is a vole, a sad vole holding a wilting flower. Think he needs invigoration, perhaps a feat of strength, perhaps a smack habit, tattoo a set of angry eyebrows on his forehead, just anything.

The Brownie task was brutal, nobody thought 'slow and steady wins the race' and try to do a basic bake. I was almost expecting someone to try and not use chocolate as an ingredient.

Getting a bit annoyed with this now. Giving them challenges which are either impossibly tight on time or unsuited to the temperature conditions in the tent to manufacture drama is counter-intuitive. I don't want to see 9 utterly fucked bakes and the judges having to work out which one is the least shit whilst the contestants cry their eyes out.

Every year the contestants learn from the previous, so we're in danger of the class of 2021 realising that grandiose bakes aren't worth the risk and just phoning it in for safety. A tent full of Lindas, basically. Nobody wants that, surely?

gilbertharding

I don't understand why it's even in a tent.

I suppose it as to be in a tent now, forever...

Next time they have to do a showstopper that needs delicate chocolate work or gelatine, let them do it in a butcher's walk-in freezer. Put bunting up if you need to. Noel Fielding can wear a seven grand scarf. Sorted.

Thomas

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on October 15, 2020, 10:50:54 AM
Getting a bit annoyed with this now. Giving them challenges which are either impossibly tight on time or unsuited to the temperature conditions in the tent to manufacture drama is counter-intuitive.

The issue of temperature comes up every year. Jaws the Shark Hollywood always says it's no excuse, and that the bakers need to adapt to the arbitrarily tent-based conditions - but how can you adapt to the fact that your ingredients are assuming a liquid molecular structure? Make everything a smoothie?

If torrential rain was pouring sideways into the tent, they wouldn't shrug and tell the bakers to adapt their loaves for marine conditions.

daf

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 15, 2020, 11:16:18 AM
I don't understand why it's even in a tent.

It's a hangover from the first series - which was a mobile event, with each episode filmed in a different location.

QuoteReproducing the surroundings of the English village fête, the series was filmed in bunting-draped marquees in scenic gardens.

[producer] Anna Beattie : "I loved that idea of village fetes and an old-fashioned baking competition with people who only wanted to bake a good cake."

In the first series, the filming locations varied in different episodes, but only one location was used for each series from the second series onwards.

I seem to remember members of the public would occasionally pop their nose through the tent flap to see what was going on.

With the white chocolate task, I thought it would make sense for the contestants, having seen the weather forecast, to make their intricate chocolatework as soon as the stopwatch starts and the place is cooler (being earlier in the day and ovens not having been blazing for hours).

It would be a bit scary seeing everyone else getting their cakes out of the oven while yours still has a lot of time to go, and you'd have to stick it in the freezer for it to cool down quickly once cooked, but it's a viable tactic... unless they are made to do things in a certain order for the sake of the programme?

Blue Jam

Oh not Sura you bastards.

Matt Lucas is starting to feel like an audience avatar here. Yes, asking for a cake made with a fuckload of white chocolate but to not make it too sweet is fucking daft.

I did giggle at "Praul and Poo" because I am a child.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Blinder Data on October 09, 2020, 12:59:49 PM
My gaydar is pinging with Dave. The eyebrows, the smile, the little shoulder wiggle when he's done well. Into cars and DIY? Not fooling me, mate.
Last season's winner was a gay baker called Dave who looked exactly like this year's Dave and seemed to do similarly neat, sensible, but slightly unimaginative bakes (although last year his gimmick was putting too much spice in). They're clearly just recycling contestants with slightly different back-stories.

Blue Jam

There is ALWAYS someone who puts too much spice in.

Perhaps the least effective ever producer attempt to create tension this week as to whether Sura or Lottie would go, considering the former was already at the bottom before producing a showstopper that the judges literally refused to eat.

jobotic

Why would you put spice in a cake anyway?

Or booze. You drink booze not eat it, dum dum!

Dex Sawash

Hate being 3 days behind. Sura had to have known her cakez were shit when she turned them out. Edited that bit out I reckon. Would have liked to spoon my way through that brownie disaster.

Cinnamon babka > chocolate babka
The church ladies from the synagogue do them for the co-op. They'll make you fat if you're not careful.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on October 17, 2020, 02:56:30 AM
The church ladies from the synagogue do them for the co-op. They'll make you fat if you're not careful.

All part of the plan. #soros

Pijlstaart

Old fat Linda can't make a shoe pastry. Everyone can make shoe, read a cookbook, sad old fathead! Imagine not even knowing. Saying Gypsy too, oo-er, bit racist, the big G-word, missing some vowels there aren't we buddy? Gypsy, like a bird's gypsy? Takes one to know one buddy. They'll get her for that, put their gypsy curse on her, all downhill from here, had to bring gypsies into it, in a tent of all places.

Matt Lucas must love Mark, surely no-one's ever laughed that hard at his jokes. They're even cutting it out now, 40:51 on 4od, starts writhing about, bright puce on cue, like a cuttlefish. It's like he's being exorcised. Sad vole Marc is redder than before too, slightly swollen, perhaps a disease?

Peter's got the fear in him, cowardice, like the villagers are coming for him. You can tell the stakes for him are higher than the other bakers, maybe he knows the sorcerers that animated him are working to reverse their incantation, maybe he thinks a cookbook deal will make him a real boy, real boys have cookbook deals.

jobotic

We used to have Gypsy Tart at school (KENT) and it was thin, didn't look like that thing last night.

It was also fucking horrible.

Blue Jam

AYE, GIES A CHOCOLATE CHOWKS

Love Matt Lucas's shirt.

Thomas

Lots of nude Paul imagery from Lucas and Fielding in this one. Close quarantine with Hollywood getting everybody frisky? Forecast a massive innuendo increase. Noel Fielding visibly itching to pounce on 'caged tart'.

Blue Jam

Next week is Japanese Week. Paul Hollywood hates anything flavoured with matcha. Going for the coveted Hollywood Handshake will be futile.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Thomas on October 21, 2020, 08:28:52 PM
Lots of nude Paul imagery from Lucas and Fielding in this one. Close quarantine with Hollywood getting everybody frisky? Forecast a massive innuendo increase. Noel Fielding visibly itching to pounce on 'caged tart'.
Press says they're in trouble again with prudish viewers for saying naughty things. Baking is just sex with aprons on, get over it, squares!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/12995870/bake-off-hit-ofcom-complaints-matt-lucas/

Thomas

AsparagusTrevor

Blue Jam

Those fruit tarts looked fucking delicious. One of the best showstopper challenges in recent memory.

Can't believe Linda didn't practice or look up how to make choux pastry. Did she know she was appearing on this show? On pastry week no less?