Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:37:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fleet Foxes - Shore

Started by Johnboy, September 22, 2020, 09:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnboy

Fleet Foxes released a new album today.

I immediately like it, much better than the last one which still hasn't convinced me, but this one's a goodie

Any love for them here?

The Mollusk

Oh boy I had no idea about this, thanks for letting me know. I fucking love them and I thought Crack Up was by far their best album so very eager to fire into this!

crankshaft

Liked the first album. Loved the second. Found the third one 100% impenetrable, probably because it was firmly enclosed up Robin Pecknold's arsehole. So, not terribly excited about the new one but may give it a listen.

The Mollusk

Quote from: crankshaft on September 22, 2020, 09:58:23 PM
Found the third one 100% impenetrable, probably because it was firmly enclosed up Robin Pecknold's arsehole.

Gotta say I very much disagree. It was unmistakably far more complex and progressive than the comparatively welcoming records that preceded it, but it was by no means impenetrable. Among all the dense thickets and textures, there were some stunning arrangements throughout Crack-Up, and personally I thought its fearless ambition resulted in Pecknold's most boldly successful work. I'd definitely recommend giving it another spin now that a few years have passed, to see if you've warmed to it at all.

At any rate, I daresay you'll be pleased with Shore. The meandering proggy arrangements are largely absent in their place is an abundance of far more cohesive and straightforward songwriting. It's bright and optimistic, like throwing the curtains open on a long-forgotten dust-caked old room and spending the weekend hoovering out the cobwebs and scrubbing the walls down for a couple of fresh coats of paint.

Not gonna lie, my first impressions of the opening few tracks was "What the fuck is this Bastille shit, am I listening to Coldplay by accident?" but I very quickly found myself drawn into it much the same as I have been to all of Pecknold's other work. It's another string to his bow, and another confident step forward for a brilliant songwriter.

El Unicornio, mang

Looking forward to delving into this one. Love the first album and The Fleet Foxes and Sun Giant EPs. Found the second album a bit patchy, never really gave Crack Up enough of  a chance so should really revisit it soon.

El Unicornio, mang

Really enjoying this after a couple of listens. It's not going to blow anyone's minds, just a collection of songs which nicely encapsulates the sound of the previous three albums.

"Featherweight" chord sequence sounds quite "Dreadlock Holiday"

Waking Life

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on September 23, 2020, 11:04:53 AM
Looking forward to delving into this one. Love the first album and The Fleet Foxes and Sun Giant EPs. Found the second album a bit patchy, never really gave Crack Up enough of  a chance so should really revisit it soon.

That sums up my feelings on them too. They are good, but not the most exciting, so I wasn't sure if they'd (or he, from the sounds of things) just said what they they needed to on the first one.

This new one is good but not sure how much I'll be revisiting.

idunnosomename

Yeah i loved their debut stuff (inc the EPs) but they never really kept up the high bar. Will give this a try though

DJ Bob Hoskins

I think I have to agree there.

I've only just given this a first listen so way too early to post a proper opinion, but... It sounds a bit 'polished' compared to their other records, no? I welcome the return to more 'straightforward' songwriting since I didn't dig Crack Up that much (though the latter seemed to be a labour of love and does have some lovely moments). This one has a bit of a glossy MOR thing about it which I was not expecting compared to the sound of the first three albums, which have more of a simple reverb-y 'organic/live' sound, almost like they could have been recorded in the 60s/70s.

Anyway, this band get a pass from me for life for the first album + Sun Giant EP alone. The first time I heard their debut I demanded my friend play it another 8 times in a row. Saw them live not long after it came out, in the Paradiso in Amsterdam. Robin Pecknold seemed like a really shy, nervous guy, and was really young at the time, but man, he played and sang like he was one of the old guard from Laurel Canyon in the late 60s. He sang one or two songs a capella - without a mic or amplification - and hearing his voice and melodies echo around an old church was transcendental. Easily one of the best gigs I've been to.

I really liked Helplessness Blues and saw them on that tour too (much bigger venue, excellent gig but very different and much more slick than the first time I saw them), and on the Crack Up tour (also a great gig but maybe less so than the previous one). I'm really pleased for their success and all, but for me the debut album era, which just seemed like a bunch of shy hairy kids who never wanted anything more than to go back in time and join CSNY or write a song like Simon & Garfunkel used to, will probably never be topped.

DJ Bob Hoskins