Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:21:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

People with the same name as you who think they also have the same email as you

Started by Gurke and Hare, September 23, 2020, 04:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

There's a financial adviser in North Carolina who has the same name as me. I found out about him because I occasionally get emails intended for him - I'm guessing that the email from CSG Actuarial Solutions inviting me to "Add Dental Solutions to Client Portfolio" was intended for him.

I also occasionally get emails from the Central Kansas Veterinary Center reminding me that Ellie is due to have a rabies vaccine, and someone in Florida occasionally orders things from Gap using my email address. There was also a Strava account with it, but I changed the password and deleted the account so I don't get those any more. I don't have a common name thank goodness - whoever it is[nb]John Smith, presumably[/nb] that has johnsmith@gmail.com must get so much crap all the time that's intended for dimwits.

What do idiots use your email address for?

My old btinternet.com email address would get humungous photos of American houses sent to it for some reason. Huge great BMP files at ridiculous resolutions. Never really understood what they were for as they'd always have a "As discussed on the phone" type covering message. I'm presuming a US-based estate agent or builder. Always external shots. I've tried googling my name to see if anything turns up, but there's nothing. It's not a common name either.

Sebastian Cobb

Bloke at an old job got some wally siging up to services using his email address. I mean a bit of confusion and someone emailing the wrong John Smith is understandable but some dickhead not even getting their own email right. No hope is there?

Puce Moment

I get at least one email per day for a bloke with my name who I know this about:

- He lives in Idaho
- He just bought a BMW
- He is involved with something called a 'pot luck' which I believe is related to neighbours and food
- He defaulted his payment for gym membership
- His partner likes sending him funny gifs of people hurting themselves in a LOL Fail way

I will never correct any of these fuckers.

Sebastian Cobb

How long has his partner been sending these gifs whilst getting no response?

kngen

My namesake in Texas is currently getting a divorce (I feel this is somewhat connected to her getting her estate agent's license not that long ago - bit of financial independence so she can rid herself of her boorish redneck husband*). When her divorce lawyer started sending me papers to sign, I had to intervene and tell them to check the email address. Didn't want her to be trapped in a loveless marriage with a gun-obsessed, Trump-worshipping psychopath.**

*No idea if this is true, but they are from Texas.

**Again, nothing to suggest this is true other than my own lazy prejudices.

sevendaughters

I have a few

- US me was serving in Afghanistan and would receive emails from an army pastor giving him faith advice. It was very lovely stuff actually.
- Australian me just got a speeding ticket somewhere near Adelaide.
- NZ me is trying to buy a house and is getting into some bullshit wealth management strategy stuff.
- Stourbridge me needs to renew his car insurance and I always get his documents and email them to him annually. Seems nice.
- another Midlands me confirmed he was the guy whose girlfriend put a tarantula on his face and somehow it made the news.

I also used to get wrongdials and texts from a really terrific chap called Rupert who was asking for Clive. Eventually we got talking. He runs a small botanic garden in Hants.

shiftwork2

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 23, 2020, 05:46:57 PM
I also used to get wrongdials and texts from a really terrific chap called Rupert who was asking for Clive. Eventually we got talking. He runs a small botanic garden in Hants.

This sounds great.  I would just contrive myself into that scene somehow.

bomb_dog

My partner gets these occasionally. She even contacted the incorrectly-emailed-persons partner when she received a document with personal details on to tell them they may want to get their email address corrected at the horse show club thing they'd registered with.

Only for him to insist he'd provided them with the correct email by sending us a scanned copy of their sign-up form, with even more of their personal details on to somehow try to prove it wasn't their fault.
Idiot.

Cloud

I'm fine as I have a weird spelling, but when my dad got Apple's "Mobile Me" back in the day, he was lucky enough to get firstname@me.com - everyfucker on the planet uses it to sign up to random dodgy shit.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Puce Moment on September 23, 2020, 05:09:31 PM
I get at least one email per day for a bloke with my name who I know this about:

- He lives in Idaho
- He just bought a BMW
- He is involved with something called a 'pot luck' which I believe is related to neighbours and food
- He defaulted his payment for gym membership
- His partner likes sending him funny gifs of people hurting themselves in a LOL Fail way

I will never correct any of these fuckers.

You must feel like Sam Beckett.

Aaron500

My father's namesake is some sort of private detective/repo man/enforcer, so my father would frequently get sent the personal details of his next mission, detailing what vehicle they owned or had nicked, along with financial details, work schedules, family situation etc.

Some of the assignments looked a bit tasty and sounded exciting and when I was briefly back living there I was almost tempted to follow them up, but they seemd to be down south somewhere and I'm a massive coward. My father would respond to every single email telling them they'd got the wrong man.

Icehaven

I'd no idea so many people use their real names in email addresses (outside of enforced work ones).

flotemysost

I once got a string of detailed and increasingly anxious texts from a guy who, as far as I could gather, was entering his daughter (who coincidentally had the same first name as me) into some sort of local dance competition for under-12s, and was frantically checking with the organisers if they'd missed the deadline. I felt a bit bad for him/them but it was quite funny.

Of course it could have been an allusion to noncing activity couched in clandestine language, and I just let him go scot-free.

The Lurker

There was a fella I worked with who had the same initial and surname as me. As a result, his email was d(surname)@companyname.com while mine was da(surname)@companyname.com. This meant that he would often receive my emails.

I also don't like emailing people with the same first name as me, just in case I accidently send them an email that I meant to send to myself. But that's just me being a bit weird.

Dex Sawash

I have an acquaintance with same first name. I got looped in to a email chain of some very delicate family correspondence that went on for a few months. Finally just blocked the lot of them as it was too grim to be entertaining.

A distant relative with same first initial same last name gives my email all the time. I get baby pictures, utility statements and doctor reports. Great grandad had a brother who turned Lutheran minister, moved to Indiana and the family blanked him. This is his granddaughter.

JesusAndYourBush

I had someone sign up to facebook using an email I created as a throwaway/use for things when I know I'll get spammed.
I didn't even know facebook let you start creating your page until you'd confirmed your email by clicking a thing they send you.
I did the 'forgot your password' thing with facebook and changed the password.  All they'd done was add a very unflattering photo of someone that they'd probably pulled randomly from a google search and then they'd sent one friends request.  I deleted the photo and I think (it was a long time ago) I sent a message to the person who'd been sent the friends request explaining what'd happened.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Lurker on September 23, 2020, 11:39:47 PM
There was a fella I worked with who had the same initial and surname as me. As a result, his email was d(surname)@companyname.com while mine was da(surname)@companyname.com. This meant that he would often receive my emails.

I also don't like emailing people with the same first name as me, just in case I accidently send them an email that I meant to send to myself. But that's just me being a bit weird.

I've made a tit of myself by addressing people by their surname when it's also a common Christian name. When they've got a common Christian name this is embarrassing, but when they've got one of those funny foreign names, it's probably a micro-aggression of some sort.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 23, 2020, 05:26:53 PMHow long has his partner been sending these gifs whilst getting no response?

I just checked to see how far back this goes and her first email (not a funny gif) was in December 2017, and then the gifs started in June 2018. That's all she uses the email address for, it seems.

Karen: Did you see that funny gif I sent with the kangaroo punching the man?!!!!

Puce: Yeah, yeah, sure, great, really funny.

GoblinAhFuckScary

I feel this unlikely since my email is my actual name, and I think I can make a reasonable presumption that I might have a particular name that no-one else has.

Puce Moment

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 24, 2020, 12:37:38 PMI feel this unlikely since my email is my actual name, and I think I can make a reasonable presumption that I might have a particular name that no-one else has.

I thought this as well - Facebook says otherwise to the tune of 62 people. Although your name might be insanely odd and rare.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Puce Moment on September 24, 2020, 01:18:34 PM
I thought this as well - Facebook says otherwise to the tune of 62 people. Although your name might be insanely odd and rare.

I think it's to do with my name legally being two typical first names. Never heard my last name as anyone else's surname even on that facebook!

Mr Farenheit

Received one about a disintegrating marriage a few years ago- all my fault apparently!
Parallel me sounds like a bit of a jerk, although I have to say 'my' kids sound like a bunch of party animals so 'I' must have been doing something right- no squares in this house baby!

Quote from: woman whose husband has the same name as meYou need to have an update of what's happening. And just what your selfish need for sexual gratification has done.

I've just put Patrick to bed, he's been picking out his eyelashes, he says he has something in his eye. He's been sleeping in my bed, like Dan used to do when you were away. Last night Patrick  described the situation like this, he has lost a finger but I have lost a hand. He said he looks at where his finger used to be and thinks I will miss that but I can get on. He has told me understands my pain and that it is alright for for me to keep crying. He sees the situation in such a way it makes me cry even more. I have done everything I thought I could to avoid this for them.

Dan has come home very, very drunk for the first time ever. He went to a party and had earlier asked if I would take him to Lancaster after this party at 12 tonight which of course I said I would. Looking after my children is not a chore for me , not like you. That's what you do for your kids. But he was so drunk when he came home from the first party there was no possibility of him carrying on his evening in Lancaster. He's been sick and I will spend the night in his room checking that he doesn't choke on his own vomit. Again, not a chore, simply what parents do.

Becky got drunk last night. She cried and raged and she is completely justified in everything. As a teenager you should put yourself first. I can listen to her and her hurt and totally agree, her drunk voice says she knows I 've tried for a long, long time, her drunk voice says she knows you've never been there.

I had hoped to remain married to you, I did not ever, ever , ever want my children to experience this. This is going to change their lives forever, it will change who they chose as life partners. No-one decent marries a person who has come from a troubled back ground. I had hoped with all my heart that I could set a new mould for them. You are selfish. You have never learned to grow up and separate what you want from what is expected of you. You are nearly 50. Grow up.

Sebastian Cobb

I was with her all the way until "No-one decent marries a person who has come from a troubled back ground."

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 24, 2020, 04:49:54 PM
I was with her all the way until "No-one decent marries a person who has come from a troubled back ground."

Seems I share the same name as Mr. Fahrenheit

ZoyzaSorris

I used to get lovely emails inviting me to some kind of genteel dinner get togethers - whether for friends or members of some kind of local club or society I couldn't quite work out. I said they had the wrong guy but the fella said oh sorry, well feel free to pop along anyway. I said thanks but it'd be a little hard for me to make it to North Carolina mid week. It's a shame because it sounded really nice. I don't get the emails any more sadly.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on September 24, 2020, 06:34:31 PM
I used to get lovely emails inviting me to some kind of genteel dinner get togethers - whether for friends or members of some kind of local club or society I couldn't quite work out. I said they had the wrong guy but the fella said oh sorry, well feel free to pop along anyway. I said thanks but it'd be a little hard for me to make it to North Carolina mid week. It's a shame because it sounded really nice. I don't get the emails any more sadly.

Misread this and thought some Jewish family were putting on shindigs for their non-Jewish pals.

flotemysost

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 24, 2020, 12:15:59 PM
I've made a tit of myself by addressing people by their surname when it's also a common Christian name. When they've got a common Christian name this is embarrassing, but when they've got one of those funny foreign names, it's probably a micro-aggression of some sort.

Oh I hate this. Utmost cruelty on the parents' part (for not choosing a more distinctive first name, or failing that, for choosing to procreate at all).

I've recently been emailing someone at work quite a bit whose surname is Mohammed, and because of the way the Outlook contact pops up by default as 'surname, first name' I always have to stop myself from instinctively typing "Hi Mohammed..." and looking like a giant racist (I've never actually met them in person, so it's not like I'm putting a familiar face to a name).

Off topic slightly, but I had a Facebook friend request years ago from a complete stranger, around my age, English, with my exact (not very interesting, but not especially common) name. All fun and games until she started posting statuses about how she couldn't leave the house because she was scared of the Asian "gangs" near where she lived. Really wanted to comment underneath saying "GUESS WHAT CUNT, YOU MIGHT JUST BE RELATED TO ONE OF THEM" (I didn't, I just deleted her instead).

pigamus

Marner and Me

Na my name is that dull I've only met 2 other people with my first name. 2nd name is slightly more common but with a different spelling.