Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,469
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:57:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

People with the same name as you who think they also have the same email as you

Started by Gurke and Hare, September 23, 2020, 04:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fat_abbott

I thought this was only me...

California Me - Rabbi, and published author, I responded to one group invite saying I couldn't attend as I was a fat IT engineer from Northern England and got commended on my humor (sic).

Yorkshire/Lancashire Me - Works for Currys delivering appliances, I get his payslips. Was also copied in to a recent email thread about him and his partner knacking someones lino when delivering a fridge.

Scottish Me - Works in a Quikfit type place. Does some work on the side, especially brake stuff.

Kentucky Me - Orders and sells paint for Sherwin Williams. Occasionally has some good deals.

Sebastian Cobb

Jockice

I have a very common first name and a not particularly uncommon surname so was wondering why this has never happened to me. But I've realised that all my email addresses have had my first and middle name initials used instead of my name. Again, my middle name isn't  particularly uncommon but it means there is less possible room for error.

If it's any help though, there is a local celebrity (a former footballer) with exactly the same name as me who I've been mistaken for a few times. In correspondence that is, he's a lot older than me and we look nowt like each other.

(Postscript: I've just looked him up and he died on Saturday. I didn't know because I was out of town at the time. At a funeral ironically. RIP my namesake.)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Jockice on September 25, 2020, 11:47:24 AM
I have a very common first name and a not particularly uncommon surname so was wondering why this has never happened to me. But I've realised that all my email addresses have had my first and middle name initials used instead of my name. Again, my middle name isn't  particularly uncommon but it means there is less possible room for error.

If it's any help though, there is a local celebrity (a former footballer) with exactly the same name as me who I've been mistaken for a few times. In correspondence that is, he's a lot older than me and we look nowt like each other.

(Postscript: I've just looked him up and he died on Saturday. I didn't know because I was out of town at the time. At a funeral ironically. RIP my namesake.)

You should go to his funeral, shit people up a bit. Don't die though.

Mr Farenheit

Removed by request

Blue Jam

I had one namesake in the UK (possibly the world) but it appears she has just got married and changed her surname so it's just me now.

Knowing this makes me feel like an accidental stalker. I wonder if she has ever googled our name and accidentally found out all about me.

Sherman Krank

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on September 25, 2020, 12:12:24 PM
I've a common first name but fairly unusual surname, so there's not many of me around. I google image'd myself to see if I had any cool alter-egos out there. My god, the state of this bunch! And they're all better looking than me :(
Check your PM's.

Rolf Lundgren

I get this with alarming frequency, at least once a fortnight because one of my namesakes is probably a teenager in America who signs himself/me up for every mailing list for every games company going. Might be the same one who's on his high school wrestling team as I used to get a lot of emails about practice for that.

The worrying thing is when I get emails from companies telling me I have an interview or even information about on-boarding for a role. It's hard to stop myself replying that if the idiot you gave the job to can't even get his own email address right then he's probably not management material but kinship with my name brethren kicks in.

A woman also sent me $5 to my Venmo account last month with an aubergine emoji. I'm not sure what she bought but she got a bargain at that price.

Dex Sawash

Since posting earlier, a new probable relative has used my email address for job applications. O'reilly's Auto Parts wants her to interview for the delivery driver job. It's a dead email though, can't reply and tell them her attention to detail is exemplary but she just fucked up this one thing and maybe they should call her.

I also get bills for jet fuel for a 6 place turboprop plane from an FBO in Oregon about 10 times.a year.

falafel

Texan, homophobic, maybe ex military, biker, wife had a boob job a few years back (think she might have died this year), occasionally also get sent graphic pictures of the aftermath of US foreign interventionism with 'yeehaw that showed them' captioning,

My namesake is a proper prick though

Inspector Norse

This actually happened to me for the very first time recently, when I received a notification on Trello that someone calling themselves The Grandmaster Funk had added me to their board.

Unfortunately the alternative me is not a member of George Clinton's band, the board in question turned out to be a roofing company in Iowa.

gilbertharding

My wife gets emails for a woman in America with the same initial and surname as her. All the emails are from the same Storecard. Probably someone typed the address in wrongly, but there's no way to correct this mistake. We know the name of the person who should be getting the emails, but they all come from a 'do not reply' account.

Set up a filter so they all go to Spam now, and hope this poor woman doesn't get her house repossessed because she didn't get her bill.

Someone apparently used my email address to sign up to the Democratic Party in the USA, so I was briefly bombarded with demands for donations to help get Trump out of power. America has different regulations around 'unsubscribing' from stuff, it seems.

Dex Sawash

Just got confirmation that "I" just advanced from apprentice to journeyman in the International Sprinkler Fitters Union Local 669 after 5 years of hazing experience.