Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:30:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Purple Reign: The magnificence of Prince in the 80s

Started by Nowhere Man, September 23, 2020, 05:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magval

I liked that one a lot, I liked most of it to be honest. I wasn't dying about Girlfriend or Adore just.

Quote from: SpiderChrist on October 10, 2020, 10:52:03 AM
Alongside The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker, that's my favourite tune on the album.

Yes, me too - I'm not even sure I noticed it was pitch shifted until reading about it years later - kinda used to Prince weirdness by then.

kalowski

Quote from: Pete23 on October 10, 2020, 01:06:17 PM
He didn't only pitch shift up: https://youtu.be/mFhyNKxd33Y
Not clicked on this so going to guess... Bob George?
EDIT: Yes! "Skinny muthafucker with a high voice."

thugler

Quote from: magval on October 10, 2020, 08:03:46 AM
So when yousins are listening to Sign O The Times, and coming onto the Internet to recommend it to me as this great album, youse have just chosen to ignore the fucking chipmunked vocals on If I Was Your Girlfriend aye?

Like, if Fred Durst is a clown for doing it (he is), so's Prince, right?

First disc was class throughout, mind.

I'm half joking to be honest, I don't want to come into a thread for Prince fans and anonymously slag off Prince, that's stupid. That's abuse of the Internet. But how do you, as fans, feel about the pitched-up vocals on that track? It really made me wince when I listened to it there.

Love the pitched up vocals myself. I don't see them as chipmunked, it's way more subtle. A way of Prince to get in touch with his feminine side I guess. I do wonder if Prince had been of this generation he'd have been non binary actually, the signs were quite obvious.

Girlfriend is one of the most highly rated and popular songs he's ever made!

Edit: I wasn't even aware of Durst doing pitched shifted vocals?

kalowski

He's not necessarily playing a female character. For example, in Shockadelica, which features the speeded up vocals, he sings about Camille.

magval

Fred Durst used pitched up and down vocals for Limp Bizkit intros, interludes etc.

The one I'm thinking of is the intro to their fourth album where he does both in order to have a conversation with himself.