Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:05:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Covid app launches tommorow

Started by Fambo Number Mive, September 23, 2020, 06:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud

Apparently you can't even put a positive test in, if it was carried out by the NHS.

https://twitter.com/NHSCOVID19app/status/1309446092057202689

For once, I have no words.

non capisco

What on earth is the point of it then? Jesus fucking christ, this government and its hatred of the public sector. Worst possible people to be running the country at a time like this. Well, at any time but you know what I mean.

Zetetic

It presumably works for tests carried out by the UK Government lab network, which will cover the majority of community testing in England, in fairness.

Quote from: Cloud on September 26, 2020, 02:11:42 PM
Apparently you can't even put a positive test in, if it was carried out by the NHS [in England].

Works fine for tests carried out by NHS Wales, as well.

(https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,82153.0.html)

Cloud

I'm confused then.  They need to clarify it, as there are tons of people on forums, Twitter and Reddit now thinking that the app is useless and uninstalling it...

hamfist

I've had an annoying cough for a few days, no temperature and no loss of taste. I wanted the app to say 'you are fine mate' so ticked the cough box. It now says I might have the vid and should get a test and isolate for 5 days. Guess it's now broadcasting 'plague maybe bastard' to anyone nearby. My nearest test is 1h 45m away !

Dex Sawash

We have a state-run app that records and compares anonymous bluetooth tokens. Department of health gives you a code to put into the app if you are tested positive. That triggers a central token matchup and push notifications to token contacts.
I was curious to see if it ever even recorded any bluetooth contacts due to low use numbers. Can't find anything in the app to look at.
I've always had phone location data on to help flood the NSA with my pointless meanderings and maybe help cover up for the Real Revolutionaries.

Cuellar

Quote from: hamfist on September 26, 2020, 07:35:24 PM
I've had an annoying cough for a few days, no temperature and no loss of taste. I wanted the app to say 'you are fine mate' so ticked the cough box. It now says I might have the vid and should get a test and isolate for 5 days. Guess it's now broadcasting 'plague maybe bastard' to anyone nearby. My nearest test is 1h 45m away !

Just uninstall and reinstall bosh covid clear

Zetetic

Quote from: Dex Sawash on September 26, 2020, 08:14:00 PM
I was curious to see if it ever even recorded any bluetooth contacts due to low use numbers. Can't find anything in the app to look at.
I'm believe that the Apple/Google APIs for the anonymous Bluetooth tokens are specifically designed to prevent getting any information about contacts/exposures out of the phone (without providing an diagnosis key that corresponds to an exposure window).

Which means you probably can't easily view any information about those exposure windows, I guess?

Pranet

Been reading a few people on twitter saying they have been refused service at places because they don't have the app. But it was nutty twitter. Anyone experienced this themselves or heard of it from non nutcases/bots?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Zetetic on September 26, 2020, 08:22:05 PM
I'm believe that the Apple/Google APIs for the anonymous Bluetooth tokens are specifically designed to prevent getting any information about contacts/exposures out of the phone (without providing an diagnosis key that corresponds to an exposure window).

Which means you probably can't easily view any information about those exposure windows, I guess?

Yeah doesn't it maintain a local db then 'push up' the uuid's of the people you've potentially exposed if you've got it?

Zetetic

Not quite.

It pushes a diagnosis key that relates to your exposure windows. Others then download that diagnosis key and identify your exposure windows amongst the ones on their phone.

Edit: Or maybe it's not quite like that. Maybe you just upload your exposure window keys; I'm not confident that I understand the relationship/distinction between diagnosis and exposure window keys. You don't upload other people's though.

Sebastian Cobb

So there's a constant feed of anonymous ill people being multicast to everyone?

I suppose that'd work.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Pranet on September 26, 2020, 08:28:22 PM
Been reading a few people on twitter saying they have been refused service at places because they don't have the app. But it was nutty twitter. Anyone experienced this themselves or heard of it from non nutcases/bots?

They should have a manual process ie give your address. Was in some shit burger joint and i didn't need the app - said I'll give details and it took a while for them to find the form which turned out to be a Word table printed out. Name address date email symptoms of covid-19.

Uncle TechTip

Presumably this business with only being able to submit official test results means they only act on official results and won't alert people if you just have a cough.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeh the only place I've been in, well outside of I suppose (which is sticking to the rules very well really) just had the staff write it down on a form.

I got the impression that asking if I could fill the form out myself was not allowed, which meant you had to speak your postcode and phone number for all people to hear. I'm sure this hasn't resulted in some people getting some grim unwanted attention!

Zetetic

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on September 26, 2020, 08:55:09 PM
Presumably this business with only being able to submit official test results means they only act on official results and won't alert people if you just have a cough.
Yep. I believe it'll ask for your consent as well (as a feature of the Apple/Google EN API).

Cloud

Yesterday I thought it was hammering my battery, but today it's fine.  iPhone 11.  Still on 87%.  That's something...

Quote from: hamfist on September 26, 2020, 07:35:24 PM

I've had a cough for about a week and a half, but not a persistent one.. just an occasional urge to do a quick "cough-cough", and it's a productive one (not unheard of with covid but unusual).  I think they call it a 'nagging' cough when it's this pattern, but it was getting a bit more frequent yesterday.  So I went through the motions on the app yesterday, said no to persistent cough and it said "you're fine mate".  No other symptoms, even quick marched up a big hill yesterday without gasping for breath.
Fairly sure in my case it's hay fever.  It went nuts with all the sneezing and eye itching earlier in the week, and I do also get a cough with it. Plus it seemed to settle down a lot after an antihistamine.

The other thing I did though was put it in the Kings College ZOE app, not as a persistent cough but described it in "other" and this morning I got an email that because I'd reported something that has a vague chance of being the vid, I was invited to take a test for "research".  It said they have an agreement with the NHS that if you get invited it's okay to... I'm going to say 'lie'... and tell them you have covid symptoms and are an essential worker.  Didn't bother, didn't feel right to bypass all the big "do NOT book a test unless you're pretty sure you have it" warnings and use up a test when I'm like 90% that it's hay fever, plus the cough stopped nagging today anyway.. and it started a week and a half ago so if it was the vid a test isn't much use now.

Went through the motions though and stopped before actually booking.  180 slots 7 miles away.  So at least they're not too difficult to get around here if need be.

olliebean

7 miles would mean public transport for me and surely that's not a good idea if you've got symptoms. (Is it even allowed if you're supposed to be self-isolating?) If I come down with it, I don't reckon I'm going to be getting a test unless it's a home one.

Zetetic

Most of the mass-testing centres are explicitly drive-throughs. You can only access them with a car (or "small van").

Walk-in centres tend to be temporary, highly-localised and not always accessible via the UK Gov booking system anyway.

Cloud

I had the option of drive through, walk in or home test.  But they suggested not the home test since that takes time due to delivery, collection etc

finnquark

My partner had to download the app when going  for a glass of wine yesterday.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Cuellar on September 26, 2020, 08:19:28 PM
Just uninstall and reinstall bosh covid clear

Do the same with your ImmuneOS to clear any actual vid you might 'ave!

DrGreggles

I'm only going out to the gym and occasionally to the office - both places record when I'm there anyway.
Servo can fucking do one.

Pranet

Quote from: finnquark on September 26, 2020, 10:54:15 PM
My partner had to download the app when going  for a glass of wine yesterday.

I've also read (again nutty end of twitter) that they shouldn't be refusing, they should take details from you. But I guess you don't have to serve anyone you don't want to.

I don't have a smart phone and don't really want to buy one.

But again I think I'm not going anywhere for a while.

Pranet

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on September 26, 2020, 08:53:20 PM
They should have a manual process ie give your address. Was in some shit burger joint and i didn't need the app - said I'll give details and it took a while for them to find the form which turned out to be a Word table printed out. Name address date email symptoms of covid-19.

Yes pre app that is what happened to me.

Actually at work now we are supposed to have the app poster up and take names of people who visit who don't use the poster. But apparently there is no legal force behind our requests we can't insist. But maybe they can in places that serve food and drink.

The Bumlord

At Caffe Nero yesterday they were just asking the confused duffers who have no idea what an app is to write their name and number on a piece of paper.

idunnosomename

i downloaded it becaiuse i hate myself and hope it tells me to fuck off an die

Cloud

Apparently they've fixed the results reporting issue and now all the NHS is included.

Meanwhile my nagging cough has fucked off, thankfully.  If it comes back then going by the other thread it could be because I'm sat next to an ioniser!

Jasha

Someone asked when a QR code was going up at work, was told "eeeeeeeerm while responsibility goes round the different departments

Alberon

Someone at my work threw a hissy fit because they didn't like the slightly shortened name of the building used on it (missing out the word 'centre' from the end of it). It was pointed out that to totally rename it means generating a new QR code. They still complained and management told them to shut up.