Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:01:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Young Knives - Barbarians

Started by The Mollusk, September 24, 2020, 12:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

There was a fair bit of interest round these parts when they dropped the single Sheep Tick a few months back. Now, the lads' first album in 7 years is out, and on my second listen right now I can confidently say that it's fucking great.

It's quite weird for me to acknowledge this is the same band who released the spiky melodic post-punk album Voices of Animals and Men that I fell in love with back in 2006, since here they are now, confidently producing rumbling and rattling industrial-leaning experimental bangers that almost verge on avant-garde at times. You can hear some aspects of early Human League and maybe even Throbbing Gristle in this new album, and their chucklesome Spotify bio also lists other influences like Tobacco and Death Grips which makes me super happy.

In some respects, they are the same band they've always been, since they definitely were ahead of their peers on their debut album which was clearly influenced by the pomp and grandiosity of Adam and The Ants, but it's so satisfying to see they've really become the band they deserve to be. I really need to go back and listen to their other albums, since I know this has been a gradual transformation and it didn't just happen overnight.

Anyway this album s a belter, check it out!

Red Cherries

Society for Cutting Up Men

Puce Moment

I think they're timing was lousy as I seem to remember them coming up just at the same time as tons of indie-rock landfill. I felt they got lumped in and overshadowed by yer Maximo Parks and other dross.

To me they are a very solid and listenable pop-rock band with a strong post-punk vibe that I really enjoy. But also, they could turn out a beautiful track like this which is so under-rated and ignored that it breaks my heart:

https://vimeo.com/45698908

Yer Elbow festival anthems can get to fuck next to something like this.

Puce Moment

Just been watching their livestream on Facebook performing songs. They have become a kind of krautrock throbbing gristle fiery furnaces death grips residents negativland mix of madness.

Extremely enjoyable.

dmillburn

I've been loving this and having stopped listening to it since it arrived, reckon it's my album of 2020 so far and there's been a fair few decent albums this year.

I've been a big fan since I stumbled across them years ago in Oxford at The Punt before "Voices" was released, and as much as I loved the first two albums (I'll gloss over the 3rd which had a couple of moments but really wasn't them at their best) I particular love what they've mutating into now and the much darker low-fi noisier experimental sounds they've been exploring with Sick Octave and now Barbarians. It's been quite the journey over 5 albums to the point where they are now. The caravan sessions have been brilliant fun too and a real highlight of my week - I'm massively missing going out to gigs and club nights but they have just been helping to take the edge of things.

Puce Moment

Oh, this shit is on repeat in my house. Love Mollusk's post above about how this seems quintessentially Young Knives whilst being very different from their angular post-punk sound back when. They were always more interesting than their peers, and now they have come of age just at the moment when I am most open to hearing delirious insane but lovingly crafted tunes.

Repeat - their live Facebook streams are great and nuts.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Anyone having a go at remixing Sheep Tick?? I completely missed that email! the wetransfer link is gone but emailed them to ask if they might put them up again. not sure if i'll actually have a proper crack at it but I definitely want to hear the separate tracks either way

Rich Uncle Skeleton

here they are!

think the deadline's the 12th if anyone's remixing it