Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:16:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mercury Prize 2020

Started by Pauline Walnuts, September 24, 2020, 01:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pauline Walnuts

Winner announced tonight

Anna Meredith - 'FIBS'
Charli XCX - 'how i'm feeling now'
Dua Lipa - 'Future Nostalgia'
Georgia - 'Seeking Thrills'
Kano - 'Hoodies All Summer'
Lanterns on the Lake - 'Spook the Herd'
Laura Marling - 'Song for Our Daughter'
Michael Kiwanuka - 'KIWANUKA'
Moses Boyd - 'Dark Matter'
Porridge Radio - 'Every Bad'
Sports Team - 'Deep Down Happy'
Stormzy - 'Heavy is the Head'

Oh, and it's apparently the Hyundai Mercury Prize now.

Pauline Walnuts

Wonder if Thingy Mumford of Mumford and Sons 'fame' is still a judge?

El Unicornio, mang

I used to hang out with the blonde one from Lanterns on the Lake at parties back when I was a teenager. Had no idea she was even in a band let alone getting nominated for big awards, although some mutual friends have apparently kept in touch since then and one got a limited edition collectors box album sent to them when they were starting out. Might be worth a bit if they win.

Actually really good music too, kind of Beach House-esque

Brundle-Fly

I heard that Anna Meredith track Paramour on 6Music this morning. It's like 21st century version of prog. Love her last album. love this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjmZLaymJU8

BlodwynPig

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on September 24, 2020, 03:31:43 PM
I used to hang out with the blonde one from Lanterns on the Lake at parties back when I was a teenager. Had no idea she was even in a band let alone getting nominated for big awards, although some mutual friends have apparently kept in touch since then and one got a limited edition collectors box album sent to them when they were starting out. Might be worth a bit if they win.

Actually really good music too, kind of Beach House-esque

I love their cover of Fog On the Tyne (Lanterns On the Lake Mix)

BlodwynPig

The Beatles Crowded House Skunk Anansie nailed on for this

Captain Z

It's got to be Dua Lipa (i.e. that's the only one I've listened to).

Puce Moment

I don't know much about these, but I would larf if they are all diversity noms and then Laura Marling won it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Puce Moment on September 24, 2020, 05:08:26 PM
I don't know much about these, but I would larf if they are all diversity noms and then Laura Marling won it.

You'd think with Q magazine finally gone, Evil Edna's Horror Toilet would be in with a shout finally.

jobotic

My brother likes porridge radio so I hope they win.

I listened to them once, they're alright.

BlodwynPig

"They're alright, suppose"

Hyundai McDonalds Burger King Qatar Airlines Mercury Prize Winners 2020

Quote from: jobotic on September 24, 2020, 05:28:13 PM
My brother likes porridge radio so I hope they win.

I listened to them once, they're alright.

DJ Godber spinning the platters that matter.

Pauline Walnuts

Michael Kiwanuka won.

Expected, apparently.

phantom_power

Well deserved, great album and artist

Neomod

Yeah, Kiwanuka's a top album. First introduced to me on Adam Buxton's podcast with I still think the best version of You Are the Problem.

edit. oops. Of course it's Aint

phantom_power

That would be a good parody version for the new Spitting Image to do about the Tory party, eh hard left commie marxist corbynite tankie cranks?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on September 24, 2020, 03:31:43 PM
... Lanterns on the Lake...

Long story but I know the other woman in the band and once they were staying in Manchester at my friend (who designed their Mercury Music nominated album's sleeve)'s house and we all played the C&B game du jour, 'I Hope that Bono...'

Pauline Walnuts

I believe it's the 2021 awards this week. Apparently.

My apathy is, something, I can't even be bothered to...

sevendaughters

here's the list

Arlo Parks  'Collapsed in Sunbeams'
BERWYN  'DEMOTAPE/VEGA'
Black Country, New Road  'For the First Time'
Celeste  'Not Your Muse'
Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & The London Symphony Orchestra  'Promises'
Ghetts  'Conflict of Interest'
Hannah Peel  'Fir Wave'
Laura Mvula  'Pink Noise'
Mogwai  'As the Love Continues'
Nubya Garcia  'SOURCE'
SAULT  'Untitled (Rise)'
Wolf Alice  'Blue Weekend'

Floating Points or SAULT for me, I guess?

Hat FM

i wonder if winning it even increases your streams that much nowadays.

willbo

I feel like this is one of the toughest calls in the Prize history. Like a lot of those artists have love from fans behind them and are said to deserve more success. Maybe I'm forgetting how many good nominees there were in the past few years.

It's a weak list for me, Clive. SAULT are good but the Hannah Peel album is the only brilliant record that's been nominated. She's got no chance of winning though. I imagine Arlo Parks or Ghetts will.

Christ knows how Mogwai are on there. They've been releasing progressively worse versions of the same album for 25 years now. If they win it'll be like when Ryan Giggs won Sports Personality of the Year just because he'd been around for fucking ages despite not doing anything notable that season.

Ascent

Weird list this year, but I guess it always is a bit really.

Laura Mvula for me. I keep coming back to that album again and again.

SteveDave

I've not heard any of those albums but it's good to see that Celeste's still making music even if Daphne isn't.

earl_sleek

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on September 07, 2021, 10:59:02 PM
It's a weak list for me, Clive. SAULT are good but the Hannah Peel album is the only brilliant record that's been nominated. She's got no chance of winning though. I imagine Arlo Parks or Ghetts will.

Yeah, Hannah Peel's the only one on that list that excited me. I think Arlo Parks is nailed on to win it, though I don't get the fuss at all, her music seems really bland and boring to me. (Also thought Michael Kiwanuka is worthy but boring.)

willbo

I want to love Kiwanuka's music so much, I bought both his (then) albums when his 2nd came out, but they just don't have any personality for me. The third sounded better from what I heard but by then i was burned.

SweetPomPom

Hannah Peel's great but too niche, I'd have thought. Bet it's a token long-service award for Mogwai.

holyzombiejesus

I really like the BC,NR album. Never really taken to Hannah Peel although quite liked her when I sold that space album she did for £100.

willbo

I tried to get into the Nubya Garcia album last year, because I love John Coltrane and I've heard her called the new Coltrane. But it hasn't really grabbed me yet. I dunno why. It just seems more ...chilled out I suppose. If they're looking at UK/London jazz, how about Angel Bat Dawid or Seed Ensemble?

chveik

the new Coltrane!? is that some sort of critical kiss of death