Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:32:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mercury Prize 2020

Started by Pauline Walnuts, September 24, 2020, 01:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

I'm finding this a bit dreary tonight. It's all so bloody earnest. Having said that, Lauren's irreverent in-between songs off the cuff patter is not going to make Graham Norton particularly nervous.

Norton Canes

Hats off to the judges, took some effort to pick the blandest artist out of that lot.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 09, 2021, 10:00:50 PM
I'm finding this a bit dreary tonight. It's all so bloody earnest.

Yeah, this. Only Laura Mvula, Hannah Peel and jazz saxophone lady seemed to be having any fun.

And god Mogwai are dismal. Their "Blur are shite" feud from the '90s that they tried to reignite a few years ago is fucking embarrassing: Damon's out there collaborating with some of the world's most renowned musicians while Braithwaite and co are pissing out second-rate space rock.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on September 09, 2021, 11:24:58 PM
Yeah, this. Only Laura Mvula, Hannah Peel and jazz saxophone lady seemed to be having any fun.

And god Mogwai are dismal. Their "Blur are shite" feud from the '90s that they tried to reignite a few years ago is fucking embarrassing: Damon's out there collaborating with some of the world's most renowned musician while Braithwaite and co are pissing out second-rate space rock.

Agree entirely with you on all this.

Pauline Walnuts

I still don't know who won this, so I'm going to watch the TV show on catch up. no spoiler pls.

That Wolf Alice track, err... Smile sounds like a en-feebled/more white Whale's Four Big Speakers.

Pauline Walnuts

Thingy with a slowed down version of I want to Dance with Somebody. Theres about 3 million people who do the whole 80s thing better. In fact to be honest a lot of them do it better than the people in the 80s. This isn't one of them.

Pauline Walnuts

Sorry, fell asleep during that first jazzish one. I think I quite liked that Hannah Peel one, the one that one was alright, nice little pop song they played.

Speaking as someone who saw Mogwai when Stuart Braithwaite had hair, got their first single, they really are the Post-Rock Status Quo ain't they? And not in a good way.

Norton Canes

One for the Oscillations equivalent of '0bvious things' perhaps but you don't get much of the old heavy metal (including its 10,000 associated sub-genres) in the Mercs, do you? Even in a 'blatant token nomination, they'll never actually win' type way. Are they worried that if they have to have a metal act perform at the ceremony people will switch off?

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on September 10, 2021, 01:10:47 PM
the one that one was alright, nice little pop song they played.

'The One that Won was alright', must have still been in a jazz induced semi-coma when I wrote that.

Also I was wrong about Mogawi/Status Quo, the Quo radically added to their style, while still (mostly) keeping their signature sound. Sure it's not a great song, but better Margarita Time than nothing other than weaker and weaker versions of Caroline for 20 years.

I think I've said this before, but Mogwai are like Pink Floyd who never went on to make Dark Side of the Moon, but were forever re-making Meddle, which in principal sounds like a good thing, but in real life, it's got dull quick.

Still, I suppose it beats trying to remake Dark Side of the Moon forever 😴

I'm over thinking this.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 11, 2021, 10:08:45 AM
One for the Oscillations equivalent of '0bvious things' perhaps but you don't get much of the old heavy metal (including its 10,000 associated sub-genres) in the Mercs, do you? Even in a 'blatant token nomination, they'll never actually win' type way. Are they worried that if they have to have a metal act perform at the ceremony people will switch off?

They don't have token anything in the Mercury prize, no token Jazz one, no token folk one*. The albums are choosen entirely on merit. Laughs in Måneskin.

* what happened to the token folk one this year?

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on September 11, 2021, 10:26:52 AM
* what happened to the token folk one this year?

Laura Marling didn't release an album.

willbo

honest question what albums would have been in the line up if you all had a choice?

Norton Canes

Just looking at the albums I've bought/heard in the last 12 months or so, there aren't that many by UK artists, but...

Autechre - SIGN or PLUS
Belbury Poly - The Gone Away
The Bug - Fire
Cabaret Voltaire - Shadow of Fear
Iglooghost - Lei Line Eon
Lonelady - Former Things
µ-Ziq - Scurlage

Not sure exactly what the release date window is for the 2021 prize or how many of the above qualify.

Pauline Walnuts

I liked the new/last Visionist album, Klaus Nomi for the ketamine generation. I don't even know what that last bit means.

Malcy

Quote from: Ascent on September 08, 2021, 03:30:36 PM
Weird list this year, but I guess it always is a bit really.

Laura Mvula for me. I keep coming back to that album again and again.

Only album on the list I've heard and I agree. I've listened to it loads since it was released. I think she's a bit miffed that she didn't win again but she's had a tough time recently.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 11, 2021, 12:52:47 PM
Just looking at the albums I've bought/heard in the last 12 months or so, there aren't that many by UK artists, but...

Autechre - SIGN or PLUS
Belbury Poly - The Gone Away
The Bug - Fire
Cabaret Voltaire - Shadow of Fear
Iglooghost - Lei Line Eon
Lonelady - Former Things
µ-Ziq - Scurlage

Not sure exactly what the release date window is for the 2021 prize or how many of the above qualify.

I think a label has to pay (it was £750 about 20 years ago) to nominate a release so it may be not worth the risk for the likes of Ghost Box.