Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,469
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:44:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ronnie Barker's timing...

Started by kalowski, September 24, 2020, 08:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

...in Porridge is incredibly.

I know it's obvious, but by hell he's good.

Norton Canes

Quote from: kalowski on September 24, 2020, 08:53:00 PM
...in Porridge is incredibly

I feel there should be some way to leverage a great joke out of an unfinished sentence in a thread about timing, but I can't quite figure out how.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Immaculate, I'd say.

( NB: This post would work better if I could post in as Naomi Woolf- Campbell Paul Eddington.)

Alberon

His main reputation was as a comedian and it does overshadow his abilities as an actor.

There aren't many who would have had the range to deliver both Arkwright and Fletcher.

lankyguy95

Porridge and, more pertinently, Open All Hours wouldn't be good shows with a different actor. His abilities were at once breathtaking yet seemingly effortless.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

It's one of the best pieces of comic acting I have ever seen. Barker fully inhabits that character, Fletch feels like a fully-rounded human being. The impeccable scripts have a lot to do with that, of course, but Barker elevates them. That's how good he was.

His decision - I'm presuming it was his decision - to be chewing gum at all times is such a perfect little touch. It adds an extra 'fuck you' frisson to his encounters with MacKay.

Gurke and Hare

Presumably at least some of you are also watching the repeats on Gold during working from home lunch hours? It's a mystery to me why  "What, with these feet?" never got picked up as one of the great comedy lines that people quote all the time. It's magnificent, in both writing and delivery.

Glebe

He was a master. Incredible. Sorry, nothing more to add. As you were.

tinner777

so many lines, so much fun,
"you do know this job is a privilege?"
"for the pigs"

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 24, 2020, 09:42:27 PM
I feel there should be some way to leverage a great joke out of an unfinished sentence in a thread about timing, but I can't quite figure out how.

What are the two finest Orien...
Thai, Ming.

Fuck off.

kalowski

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 24, 2020, 10:46:11 PM
Presumably at least some of you are also watching the repeats on Gold during working from home lunch hours? It's a mystery to me why  "What, with these feet?" never got picked up as one of the great comedy lines that people quote all the time. It's magnificent, in both writing and delivery.
I was watching an episode last night, which is why I was inspired to start the thread.

And I agree about the utterly perfect, "What, with these feet?"
Perhaps overshadowed by "Beautiful Babs. I forget her name."

metaltax

"My house reflects my wife"
"Big is it?"
"Spotless"

Beautiful. For all that Barker's performance is a tour de force on its own, its on another level when you put him up against Mr Mackay.

timebug

Watching the original 'Open All Hours' simply proves that without Ronnie, 'Still Open All Hours' was a pointless and pathetic attempt to find work for David Jason; who I am sure, did not particularly need it?

kalowski

My dad was fascinated by Ronnie Barker's hair. Whenever we watched Porridge he'd always talk about how good the dye must be.

Glebe

Quote from: Alberon on September 24, 2020, 10:02:25 PM
His main reputation was as a comedian and it does overshadow his abilities as an actor.

There aren't many who would have had the range to deliver both Arkwright and Fletcher.

Yeah, he could completely transform himself.

vainsharpdad

Paul Whitehouse is the only person I can think of who comes close.

Tony Tony Tony

His timing is absolutely....

incredible

Twonty Gostelow

Ronnie B was great, but he wasn't perfect.

I have a clear memory of him doing a piece to camera where he was mispronouncing his words throughout. Not sure if he was sick or drunk or what, but it definitely made me think less of him.

Brundle-Fly

Ronnie Barker and Fulton Mackay in the first (almost) two-hander episode of the Porridge sequel, Going Straight . A master class in writing and acting. To act convincingly drunk like this for a start. Brilliant.

Pt 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G45052_u2BU

Pt 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_aN9bv58gk

Glebe

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on September 26, 2020, 12:27:08 AMI have a clear memory of him doing a piece to camera where he was pisspronouncing his worms throughout.

Sherman Krank

Quote from: Glebe on September 26, 2020, 12:49:38 AM
I have a clear mammary of him doing a piece to camera where he was pisspronouncing his worms throughout.

thenoise

By the time he made Open all Hours he could barely make it through a scene without stumbling over his lines. Sad ...

TheMonk

Not to mention his heartwarming performance as Fatbelly Jones.

badaids

Quote from: thenoise on September 26, 2020, 03:33:28 AM
By the time he made Open all Hours he could barely make it through a scene without stumbling over his lines. Sad ...

And he didn't have the stage manner to handle props properly, he ballses up every scene where the till is involved.

pigamus

The Bumlord

Quote from: badaids on September 26, 2020, 07:59:54 AM
And he didn't have the stage manner to handle props properly, he ballses up every scene where the till is involved.

I think that's unfair, seems like a bad BBC prop to me. Nearly takes his fingers off, they really should have changed it.

lankyguy95

Could see it was affecting his mental health. He started sexually harassing that nurse on the cast.

evilcommiedictator

His timing is a terr, tterr, tteer, tter, tterr....not bad in the grand scheme of things, and finishing up my sch-sch-scheme will hopefully end up with me and the undergarments of Nurse Gladys in close proximity

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Alberon on September 24, 2020, 10:02:25 PM

And also the fact that neither are anything like his real life personality. One of my top 10 favourite actors. I remember him saying after he retired that he'd only act again if he could do a film with Pacino, De Niro and Brando. Would have loved to see him in a big meaty movie role.

jobotic

Quote from: thenoise on September 26, 2020, 03:33:28 AM

forgot the name of David Jason's character every time.