Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:40:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Weird/scary moments in comedy.

Started by bgmnts, September 25, 2020, 11:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Cuellar on September 25, 2020, 09:19:49 PM
The Yeti episode of The Goon Show.

Same. It's oddly sinister in being set entirely at night on a deserted moor, with the Yeti never even being glimpsed but somehow always nearby. Ned is clearly terrified most of the time. The usual silly gags, musical numbers and audience laughter don't counterbalance it, and the usual non-sequiter ending doesn't help - Ned finds the room the Yeti is in, locks it and takes the room to the Royal Geographical Society, where he unlocks it and a train comes out, reprising a joke from earlier.

PhotoJenny

The secret fifth housemate in the Young Ones is really horrible. Like something from The Ring but with a less cohesive backstory.

famethrowa

Quote from: sheddyian on September 26, 2020, 12:35:20 AM

Speaking of The Goodies, for me it's the episode where the house gets encased in concrete forever. The claustrophobic inevitability, eating the furniture, the far future Goodies... brrrr.

samadriel

I've mentioned the glowing eyes at the end of the first episode of The Heart She Holler before, but I just thought of something else that's not scary, but makes me uneasy; it's in, I think, the first episode of Mr Show, where David Cross plays an extra who's removed part of his brain to prepare for a role, and has become a drooling, incontinent, savage creature.  I find the horribleness and permanence of that idea and Cross' performance quite striking.  Like I said, not scary, but uncomfortable.

no_offenc

TheMonk

Quote from: famethrowa on September 26, 2020, 05:57:31 AM
Speaking of The Goodies, for me it's the episode where the house gets encased in concrete forever. The claustrophobic inevitability, eating the furniture, the far future Goodies... brrrr.
The one that freaked me out as a kid was Earthanasia, where the world ends at the end. The BBC globe exploding then no credits.  Proper spooky.

magval

Alexei as vampire still gives me that sort of primal irrational childlike fear, especially when clawing at the door with that weird look on his face.

Same for the old crone that gleefully tells Blackadder to kill everyone in the whole world.

The Scary Picture DVD extra (with the endless 'do you wish to proceed' confirmation screens, and with its accompanying scream) really got me the first time I did it, and I'm delighted it made it right to the top of the new page to continue the tradition of spooking cunts just for the crime of innocently browsing this thread.

Glebe

Quote from: TheMonk on September 26, 2020, 09:00:28 AMThe one that freaked me out as a kid was Earthanasia, where the world ends at the end. The BBC globe exploding then no credits.  Proper spooky.

I just watched that on Dailymotion the other week. Oddie sans beard is strange.

batwings

I recently rewatched Bottom on Netflix and had forgotten that Rich and Eddie are killed by the SAS in the final episode of S3. Found it genuinely horrific.

kidsick5000

kidsick5000

That episode of The Simpsons where Homer has laser eye surgery but doesn't put any drops in afterwards and his eyes crust over is genuinely horrible. 

GoblinAhFuckScary

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on September 26, 2020, 06:26:04 PM
That episode of The Simpsons where Homer has laser eye surgery but doesn't put any drops in afterwards and his eyes crust over is genuinely horrible.

OH GOD, with the sound as well.

KennyMonster

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 25, 2020, 11:43:18 AM
Helvetica Scenario.

I saw that edition shared on a Facebook 'strange TV shows' group just a few days ago and had forgotten about Helvetica Scenario.

Brilliantly disturbing.

NurseNugent

I think I posted this one last time we had one of these threads.

Gave me nightmares for a long time.[Kenny Everett Liquifying himself]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krcT2xUoHaA

Fronty Prongs

That Tickle-Me-Emo product advertisement sketch.

An Elmo doll that screams and cuts its wrist, with that permanent fixed facial expression.

samadriel

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on September 26, 2020, 06:26:04 PM

Oh lord, that one with Lisa Kudrow where his bloodshot eyeball comes swelling out of its socket.  And the one where he gets something stuck on his head and Bart uses a drill to make a hole for him to see out of.  And that one where everyone in Springfield's eyes come dangling out of their sockets.  What is it with shit-era Simpsons and eyeball horror?  Pathetic.

The Mollusk

There's a radio prank call in golden era Simpsons that is really grim, where the host calls a guy to tell him his wife is dead. "She walked through a plate glass window, there's blood everywhere." The bloke has a proper breakdown and is sobbing and gradually the hosts start sniggering and laughing uncontrollably, and there's no comeuppance at all. Very disturbing send up of prank calls.

There is another radio bit I can't place which is an avant-garde song of a man's heavily reverberated voice whimpering and moaning which the host announces as something along the lines of "I'm Broke, Need Money". It goes on for quite a while in the Simpson car and everything else is totally silent. Bizarre. Anyone know the bit?

ASFTSN

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 27, 2020, 10:40:47 AM
There is another radio bit I can't place which is an avant-garde song of a man's heavily reverberated voice whimpering and moaning which the host announces as something along the lines of "I'm Broke, Need Money". It goes on for quite a while in the Simpson car and everything else is totally silent. Bizarre. Anyone know the bit?

yeah, it's a take-off of Bobby McFerrin's Don't Worry Be Happy. IIRC it's I'm Worried, Need Money in The Simpsons.

samadriel

George White

Look Around You - Corville Bedford's Nuclear Winter
The idea of What from the image they show I imagine is a Billy Ocean/Errol Brown-type, singing a cheery soul/R&B song,  about nuclear war.

To the point that yesterday I was writing lyrics in my head or such a song.

I joined the Air Force, a cadet age 17.
I joined to see sights that a boy from Brixton had never seen.
And everything seemed fine until some time in '83.
When the last war on this Earth began so innocently.

Somewhere over the Balkan Sea a rocket did ignite.
Hitting a passing airliner in an act of fright.
A British Airways flight to Dubrovnik it did hit.
And four hundred people died, if only that was the end of it.
A miscommunication from the KGB said
Britain and its allies will be coming around the bend.
A frightened Politburo decided
To take desperate means.
In a bid to cripple the West
the likes we'd never seen.

There's a nuclear winter in our future which we'll see.
After American infiltration into Soviet matters unofficially
A six week long war in Iran leaving Tehran a ruin.
And America would be the same very very soon.

The Soviet Premier had the button in his hand.
When a US Marine platoon came in to Leningrad to land.
Innocents were murdered by the egos of Washington.
So the Red Army decided to strike Air Force One.

There's a nuclear winter blowing across the Pacific sea.
After America endured a Soviet killing spree.
The President shot down near a wild Alaska bay.
And a multi-megaton atomic bomb came down the highway.

There's a nuclear winter blowing over Europe tomorrow night.
And nobody's prepared for the dawn's early  light.
And the world will be frozen in a state of dread and fear.
And there have the right worry
As the nuclear winter's here.

I was sent  in my jet plane down to Italy.
They had not yet been hit by Soviet activity.
Their proximity to Yugoslavia had left them spared.
But it was in France and Britain that the loudest screams were heard.

There's a nuclear winter happening as I speak,
Scotland were the first to be hit by a radioactive streak.
Aberdeen is burning and Glasgow is just fields.
One hundred and fifty thousand dead
And Edinburgh is in the sea.

There's a nuclear winter raining on the North.
Liverpool is crushed, and Ireland's population fifty four.
London I am somewhat happy to say
did not get burnt that much
But the Forest of Dean is just a burning  bush.

There's a nuclear winter raging through the world tonight.
It may have only hit Europe and the US from a height.
But the winds that it has infected will blow east and west for years.
And the Soviet world is now in tears.

The Americans desperate had one more trick.
A nuclear bomb dropped over Moscow was quite sick.
It was not too powerful, but the Politburo was now dead.
And a world without power was without a head.

There's a nuclear winter blowing over America solemnly.
Irradiated Soviet soldiers arriving to seek an apology.
They did not want violence, just a new place to live in.
But millions of Britons had already been let in.

It's now seventeen years since that very first strike.
And I hope at last the winter will be the last nuclear one in sight.
Spring has finally come after almost twenty years.
And the nuclear winds are blowing east away from here.

There's a nuclear winter dying away this very night.
And what's left of this world  is one of hope and light.
But we'll never forget the horrors endured in '83.
Because that's when nuclear winter fell for you and me.

The Mollusk

Quote from: ASFTSN on September 27, 2020, 10:53:18 AM
yeah, it's a take-off of Bobby McFerrin's Don't Worry Be Happy. IIRC it's I'm Worried, Need Money in The Simpsons.

Well there ya go. There's always some reference or other in the Simpsons that I'm not aware of. It's such a bizarre joke though! The fact that the song is poles apart from his hit single, it makes sense logically but it is a very odd bit. I wonder who wrote that.

Andy147

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 27, 2020, 10:40:47 AM
There's a radio prank call in golden era Simpsons that is really grim, where the host calls a guy to tell him his wife is dead. "She walked through a plate glass window, there's blood everywhere." The bloke has a proper breakdown and is sobbing and gradually the hosts start sniggering and laughing uncontrollably, and there's no comeuppance at all. Very disturbing send up of prank calls.

That's in Homer Alone (nearly 3 minutes in), in the string of events that push Marge over the edge.

sutin

Ren & Stimpy. I used to have nightmares about when Ren goes totally psycho at the end of Sven Hoek.

rack and peanut

^Hehe! Speaking of cartoons Invader Zim organ snatching from kids

Father Jack escaping from his cage on CCTV

Anything from Python involving gore