Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:16:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Weird/scary moments in comedy.

Started by bgmnts, September 25, 2020, 11:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenoise

Quote from: rack and peanut on September 27, 2020, 02:46:29 PMAnything from Python involving gore

Everyone remembers 'Mr Creosote' but it's 'live organ transplants' a few minutes earlier that shitted me up. Really nasty and violent and barely any comic payoff, apart from an elaborate set up to that jolly song about the universe.

rack and peanut

Yep, and every gory bit in Holy Grail looks like a cut scene from Witchfinder General. I once got a little freaked out by Always Look on the Bright Side of Life, the lines about how infinite the universe is just overwhelmed my mind.

ASFTSN

Quote from: sutin on September 27, 2020, 01:35:44 PM
Ren & Stimpy. I used to have nightmares about when Ren goes totally psycho at the end of Sven Hoek.

The part in 'Marooned' with the colossal brain aliens is incredibly fucked up too.

Icehaven

Quote from: olliebean on September 25, 2020, 06:33:00 PM
Mitchell & Webb's "Now we know" sketch freaks me the fuck out. The memory of it still rises every time anyone says "Now we know" in anything ever.

The flamingoes sketch has a nicely sinister atmosphere too.

magval

Quote from: ASFTSN on September 27, 2020, 04:40:14 PM
The part in 'Marooned' with the colossal brain aliens is incredibly fucked up too.

Last half of A Visit To Anthony, as well

Phil_A

"What's This I See?" from Burnistoun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7wIY4OEktk

Starts off amusingly awkward then becomes surreally nightmarish when they imply that
Spoiler alert
the play never ends, so this poor bloke is trapped in it for eternity.
[close]

Burnistoun was very hit and miss as a show but they did occasionally produce a few gems, would've liked a few more like this though.

Phil_A

Quote from: sutin on September 27, 2020, 01:35:44 PM
Ren & Stimpy. I used to have nightmares about when Ren goes totally psycho at the end of Sven Hoek.

Ren's monologue as he's contemplating murdering Stimpy in "Stimpy's Fanclub" is creepy as fuck, especially given what an IRL psycho John K is and I can't help but see the show as a reflection of that.

"These hands...these FEELTHY hands...the dirt won't come off!"

That Laurel and Hardy film where they get lost in the maze at night was creepy when I was little.  That one where they fight that gorilla on the rope bridge over the Alpine chasm was frightening when I was small, with that one when they deliver that piano to that man who gets scarily angry.

Clownbaby

Not scary but just repulsively unpleasant to me is in Arrested Development, that period where Tobias gets obsessed with hair plugs for a while and his body starts rejecting them. It just makes me feel a bit sick, and there's nothing particularly funny about it. Tobias with bleeding infected scabby tufts of hair on his head, then he's got very long black hair and can't move his legs anymore, it's just grim. I know there's plenty odd/icky moments in Arrested Development but this just bothers me. I've got a funny thing about hair

Seedsy

Has no one mentioned Alan Partridges stigmata at the end of series 2, mid morning matters. Very creepy

Polymorphia

I found the majority of Red Dwarf's Polymorph terrifying as a young 'un, especially the bit where the alien jumps out of the bin. The dramatic warning at the start (and the 15 certificate on the VHS) probably didn't help none

frajer

Quote from: Polymorphia on September 27, 2020, 09:27:16 PM
I found the majority of Red Dwarf's Polymorph terrifying as a young 'un

Same but Demons and Angels for me. Proper shit me up, especially when Lister is being hunted and tormented on the Low ship.

petril

Quote from: Polymorphia on September 27, 2020, 09:27:16 PM
I found the majority of Red Dwarf's Polymorph terrifying as a young 'un, especially the bit where the alien jumps out of the bin. The dramatic warning at the start (and the 15 certificate on the VHS) probably didn't help none

now my mind is just the word "PSYCHE" on its own

olliebean

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on September 27, 2020, 06:42:11 PM
That Laurel and Hardy film where they get lost in the maze at night was creepy when I was little.  That one where they fight that gorilla on the rope bridge over the Alpine chasm was frightening when I was small, with that one when they deliver that piano to that man who gets scarily angry.

Come to think of it there are a quite a few weird/scary L&H moments; for example this:

or this:

or this:

franticplanet

I was always really unsettled by the look that Eddie gives in the Bottom episode 'Culture'. That whole section is so queasily... off somehow. A weird flashback, far too cartoony even in the already-cartoony world. It feels like I'm not really watching Bottom, but sleeping off the mumps and just dreaming that I am.

thenoise

The nightmare fuel moment of L&H for me was when their feet are encased in concrete and they are teetering about like subbutteo men at a harbour's edge waving their arms about trying not to fall in.

The live organ transplant "sketch" in The Meaning of Life is absolutely horrifying, nightmare inducing. It's mirthless. I can't watch the Meaning of Life because the whole tone of it is suffocating.

Also agree with Blackadder II post credits. Chilling.

Menu

Quote from: Seedsy on September 27, 2020, 09:15:28 PM
Has no one mentioned Alan Partridges stigmata at the end of series 2, mid morning matters. Very creepy

Good call. Also the bit a few minutes earlier where a hooded figure sits down behind Alan. I wonder why they decided to go all spooky in the last episode.

Ooooooh I'd love to see Alan do a Ghosthunt!

famethrowa

Quote from: franticplanet on September 27, 2020, 11:07:26 PM
I was always really unsettled by the look that Eddie gives in the Bottom episode 'Culture'.

Has anyone done the burglar outside the window in Bottom? It's just so weirdly off.

neveragain

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8T7KWV73N3s

As a nipper, this album sketch of Python's disturbed me greatly. It's what you don't see that can scare most.

Glebe

Quote from: Bereft Isabella on September 28, 2020, 12:16:02 AMThe live organ transplant "sketch" in The Meaning of Life is absolutely horrifying, nightmare inducing. It's mirthless. I can't watch the Meaning of Life because the whole tone of it is suffocating.

I watched MoL again on Netflix recently, and - Crimson Permanent Assurance and a couple of other bits aside - it actually really bummed me out, on the whole. I've watched it a good few times over the years, and yes, there are the obvious nasty, dark bits, but it actually seems more bleak and despondent now.

Ornlu

Quote from: Clownbaby on September 27, 2020, 08:26:42 PM
Not scary but just repulsively unpleasant to me is in Arrested Development, that period where Tobias gets obsessed with hair plugs for a while and his body starts rejecting them. It just makes me feel a bit sick, and there's nothing particularly funny about it. Tobias with bleeding infected scabby tufts of hair on his head, then he's got very long black hair and can't move his legs anymore, it's just grim. I know there's plenty odd/icky moments in Arrested Development but this just bothers me. I've got a funny thing about hair

Like in Always Sunny when Dee gets her braids stuck in the fairground ride?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEIEnKFGT14

Ray Travez

I found the bit in Freddy Got Fingered where he starts swinging the baby around by the umbilical cord a tough watch.

ASFTSN

Quote from: franticplanet on September 27, 2020, 11:07:26 PM
I was always really unsettled by the look that Eddie gives in the Bottom episode 'Culture'. That whole section is so queasily... off somehow. A weird flashback, far too cartoony even in the already-cartoony world. It feels like I'm not really watching Bottom, but sleeping off the mumps and just dreaming that I am.

Yeah for sure, plus the prop of Richie's giant custard-filled underpants is revolting.

EDIT: I think what's weird about this scene is the expression and attitude of Eddie is nothing like we see the character in any of the three other episodes. He's silent, miserable, pulls a rubber-faced :c expression weirdly unlike Eddie Hitler's usual alcohol fuelled grins - not to mention the fact Richie's actually won something.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Glebe on September 28, 2020, 12:38:06 AM
I watched MoL again on Netflix recently, and - Crimson Permanent Assurance and a couple of other bits aside - it actually really bummed me out, on the whole. I've watched it a good few times over the years, and yes, there are the obvious nasty, dark bits, but it actually seems more bleak and despondent now.

I think this is why I like it so much. It sets me on edge. The sheer hollowness of it being "Christmas in heaven" every day is chilling.

petril

Quote from: Glebe on September 28, 2020, 12:38:06 AM

in my head, the Holy Grail is a bit of my-childhood-world awesome fun on an overcast Saturday lunchtime,
the Life of Brian is a bright summer Sunday night special(because nearly all biblical/swords and sandals films are in my head,)
and the Meaning of Life is kind of a drizzly Monday where the weekend's done but it's not been properly packed away yet, so there's disjointed bits that would've been fun over the weekend but it's not so they don't feel as fun

spaghetamine

There's a couple in Peep Show but one that stands out in particular is Jez walking in on Mark carving Sophie's name into his arm and cheerfully explaining that he's not actually cutting himself, horrid

frajer

Quote from: spaghetamine on September 28, 2020, 10:47:19 AM
There's a couple in Peep Show but one that stands out in particular is Jez walking in on Mark carving Sophie's name into his arm and cheerfully explaining that he's not actually cutting himself, horrid

Didn't like the meat in the bed rewenge. The Judas pork, fine - but red glistening wet patches of blood and matter were too far, Jez.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: famethrowa on September 28, 2020, 12:33:26 AM
Has anyone done the burglar outside the window in Bottom? It's just so weirdly off.
I think I mentioned it the last time this subject came up. It terrified me as a kid. I was already scared of men in balaclavas, thanks to Short Circuit 2. Plus, the way they look out the windows, but don't notice the burglar lurking nearby is creepy as hell.

The Crumb

The bit in one of the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episodes where their skin gets turned inside out. Grim to start with, but then the dog starts savaging Bart's organs with some pretty nauseating sound effects.