Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:43:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Weird/scary moments in comedy.

Started by bgmnts, September 25, 2020, 11:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

That early episode of SpongeBob Squarepants where SpongeBob has driving (well, boating) lessons with Mrs Puff and he's such an annoying and frustrating student that he ends up driving her insane. Specifically the bit where she gets put in a padded cell while hallucinating that each of the walls is turning into SpongeBob's grinning, laughing face. I always thought that was pretty fucked-up for a children's show:

https://youtu.be/evO9VnU8j7s

That show also has a lot of Ren and Stimpy-esque stills with a frankly horrible level of detail, those bits are always really jarring.

The Mollusk

On one hand, I feel like mentioning Ren & Stimpy is cheating, but on the other hand, the climax of Ren's Brain is one of the most unbearable and excruciating TV experiences I've ever seen. It makes me feel like my fucking eyeballs are going to explode.

Icehaven

Quote from: spaghetamine on September 28, 2020, 10:47:19 AM
There's a couple in Peep Show but one that stands out in particular is Jez walking in on Mark carving Sophie's name into his arm and cheerfully explaining that he's not actually cutting himself, horrid

Oh god yes.

tdurbo

Probably 50% of Jam. And 70% of it if you've taken drugs. Kevin Eldon plays some really dark characters in that. The sort of thing that you randomly think of at 3am. Sorry for resurrecting an old thread

Mobbd

The ghosts in a Peter Cook series called Gone to Seed. They scared me as a nipper and (if memory serves) the reason for the haunting was ashes being scattered from a bridge while an open-topped boat was going underneath it. The idea of that played on my mind for years. Anyone else remember that? I couldn't find a picture of the ghosts online.

I was probably a right little wuss.

There were loads of things that troubled me in Mike and Angelo. A Tribble-like alien creature who instead of multiplying itself gets bigger and bigger and consumes more and more stuff.

The dangerous inflating sex dolls in OFAH.

As an adult, the prisoner in the shed in David Renwick's Love Soup was a bit alarming. Completely unresolved! I love this sort of thing: a glimpse at something terrible that is still unfolding and all you can say is "hmm, that was odd."

Fr.Bigley

"do they not make coffins that small?"

jamiefairlie

Look Around You series one, the eerie music and general weirdness.

Whoops Apocalypse, inserting unsettling sections into the general comedy.

All Surrogate

As j_u_d_a_s pointed out in a similar thread, the finale of the fourth episode of the first series of Alfresco is a pretty unnerving rendition of The Apple Tree by Difford & Tilbrook.

There's no bones for you to pick; no more wax around the wick.

Glebe

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 25, 2020, 02:02:34 PMEvil Pinocchio, from the Two Ronnies, shat me right up as a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaNWnsoM0eA

Fuck me, that's terrifying, like the prom scene in Carrie or summit. I've only ever seen a tiny bit of that sketch before. The nose-snapping is also pretty nasty! Linda 'Nurse Gladys' Baron making an appearance there.

In the film Neighbours, when Belushi's character thinks Ackroyd's sank in the swamp, then, when he goes to that rear outhouse and turns on the light, he jumps out and dances round him tauntingly.

Quote from: Ornlu on September 28, 2020, 12:38:19 AM
Like in Always Sunny when Dee gets her braids stuck in the fairground ride?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEIEnKFGT14
The first time I saw this I almost had the same reaction as Dennis.
Also when Mac and Dee get stuck in the waterslide and all the kids pile up behind them because this was a childhood fear of mine (probably entirely due to that episode of the Simpsons where the same thing happens to Homer).

markburgle

Quote from: ASFTSN on September 27, 2020, 10:53:18 AM
yeah, it's a take-off of Bobby McFerrin's Don't Worry Be Happy. IIRC it's I'm Worried, Need Money in The Simpsons.

The joke there is actually on Bobby McFerrin's later, less commercial stuff. It's maybe the most obscure Simpsons reference I ever got, because my mate had an album of his called Circle Songs which was a fairly trying collection of wordless vocal instrumentals, all called Circle Song 1, Circle Song 2 etc. I've just looked it up and it's more listenable than their parody of it, but still a good gag:

https://youtu.be/xyySUhdKBJ0

lipsink

Quote from: Mobbd on February 19, 2021, 05:11:27 PM
The ghosts in a Peter Cook series called Gone to Seed. They scared me as a nipper and (if memory serves) the reason for the haunting was ashes being scattered from a bridge while an open-topped boat was going underneath it. The idea of that played on my mind for years. Anyone else remember that? I couldn't find a picture of the ghosts online.

I actually think I remember that. I was about 8 or so and it terrified me. Wasn't that kind of a follow-up to 'Gone to the Dogs'? It had a lot of the same cast such as Jim Broadbent and Alison Steadman but playing different roles.

Phil_A

Quote from: Glebe on February 21, 2021, 04:26:16 PM
Fuck me, that's terrifying, like the prom scene in Carrie or summit. I've only ever seen a tiny bit of that sketch before. The nose-snapping is also pretty nasty! Linda 'Nurse Gladys' Baron making an appearance there.

Ha yes, that very sketch terrified me as a youngster. Definitely one of the weirdest things the Ronnies ever did.

Mobbd

Quote from: lipsink on February 21, 2021, 05:37:00 PM
I actually think I remember that. I was about 8 or so and it terrified me.

It had a lot of the same cast such as Jim Broadbent and Alison Steadman but playing different roles.

I'm sincerely glad that someone does. There is barely anything about it online. It has an IMDB page with a cover scan of a commercial video release, so it DID happen. It probably wasn't scary at all but I was about the same age as you (and I think I remember the same actors playing different characters element though I wouldn't have been able to name those actors at the time) and it fucked me up a bit. It had that weird Round the Twist quality where I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing.

Quote from: lipsink on February 21, 2021, 05:37:00 PM
Wasn't that kind of a follow-up to 'Gone to the Dogs'?

Aha! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gone-Dogs-Seed-Complete-DVD/dp/B005VD40NO

Replies From View

Quote from: Misspent Boners on September 25, 2020, 10:52:38 PM
It's funny the things that can seem so traumatising and scary as a young child. I caught fist of fun one night when I was around 8 or 9 and was absolutely terrified due to Kevin Eldons abstract Rod Hull character and his love for jelly. I dont think I slept properly that night, remember I envisioned him turning up at our house and chasing me and my dad out into the night, screaming in that high pitched voice. Really fucked me up on par only with the legless tartan warrior fella in the Tango ad

I remember being about the same age and watching Young Frankenstein.  My mum was the only other person in the house, and she was watching it at the same time.  The very final sequence, with Gene Wilder's character in his bed making moaning noises absolutely terrified me, and I immediately screamed.  My mum was incredibly annoyed with me and just said "yeah alright".

Because yeah, I was screaming for reason at the final punchline of a comedy film.

Except to me, it wasn't really a comedy at all, and the final scene meant that Gene Wilder's character had the monster's brain in his head, his own brain was probably on a pavement in the rain somewhere and the monster was going to pass himself off as the scientist forevermore.

lipsink

Quote from: Mobbd on February 21, 2021, 06:20:21 PM
I'm sincerely glad that someone does. There is barely anything about it online. It has an IMDB page with a cover scan of a commercial video release, so it DID happen. It probably wasn't scary at all but I was about the same age as you (and I think I remember the same actors playing different characters element though I wouldn't have been able to name those actors at the time) and it fucked me up a bit. It had that weird Round the Twist quality where I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing.

Aha! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gone-Dogs-Seed-Complete-DVD/dp/B005VD40NO

Just checked and all of Gone To Seed is on YouTube. It was the last few minutes of episode 2 that has a giant ghost woman shouting from the sky at Peter Cook. I had absolutely no idea what relevance it had to the plot and it was so unexpected it really shit me up.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Replies From View on February 21, 2021, 07:26:16 PM
I remember being about the same age and watching Young Frankenstein.  My mum was the only other person in the house, and she was watching it at the same time.  The very final sequence, with Gene Wilder's character in his bed making moaning noises absolutely terrified me, and I immediately screamed.  My mum was incredibly annoyed with me and just said "yeah alright".

Because yeah, I was screaming for reason at the final punchline of a comedy film.

Except to me, it wasn't really a comedy at all, and the final scene meant that Gene Wilder's character had the monster's brain in his head, his own brain was probably on a pavement in the rain somewhere and the monster was going to pass himself off as the scientist forevermore.

Gene Wilder had the monster's massive penis, dude. That's why Terri Garr was having a sing- song, chuffed as anything, she was. Didn't your mum explain that to you?

Replies From View

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on February 21, 2021, 07:53:04 PM
Gene Wilder had the monster's massive penis, dude. That's why Terri Garr was having a sing- song, chuffed as anything, she was. Didn't your mum explain that to you?

She thought I was screaming on purpose so maybe she presumed I already knew.  She certainly didn't tell me.

Mobbd

Quote from: lipsink on February 21, 2021, 07:43:57 PM
Just checked and all of Gone To Seed is on YouTube. It was the last few minutes of episode 2 that has a giant ghost woman shouting from the sky at Peter Cook. I had absolutely no idea what relevance it had to the plot and it was so unexpected it really shit me up.

Christ, you're right. Just watched the first few minutes and I'm already getting scared.

Also erect. What's that about?

Cheers matey. This is worth a re-watch.

C_Larence

Quote from: lipsink on February 21, 2021, 07:43:57 PM

The fact that she keeps saying "Wesley Willis" has kind of taken the spookiness out of it for me. Kept expecting her to say "Rock over London, rock on Chicago".

dr_christian_troy

The post-credits aftermath of the massacre at the end of Blackadder II deeply unsettled me as a child. Just their lifeless bodies with that creepy music after the fun and frivolity moments earlier was really disturbing.

frajer

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on February 23, 2021, 10:45:34 AM
The post-credits aftermath of the massacre at the end of Blackadder II deeply unsettled me as a child. Just their lifeless bodies with that creepy music after the fun and frivolity moments earlier was really disturbing.

That one got me too. Also the dubbed Queenie speaking with Ludwig's voice was really unnerving. When I was a nipper I used to get terrified of people somehow being taken over/replaced and looking identical but not acting quite right. (Needless to say all versions of the Invasion of the Body Snatchers shit me right up).

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: frajer on February 23, 2021, 10:49:56 AM
That one got me too. Also the dubbed Queenie speaking with Ludwig's voice was really unnerving. When I was a nipper I used to get terrified of people somehow being taken over/replaced and looking identical but not acting quite right. (Needless to say all versions of the Invasion of the Body Snatchers shit me right up).

It's also the only Blackadder series in which the entire main cast is slaughtered. Percy and Baldrick survive in Series 1, everyone except George survives in Series 3, and even with Goes Forth you still have Melchett alive and a vague ambiguity of who survives and who dies.

famethrowa

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on February 23, 2021, 10:45:34 AM

Didn't hit quite as hard for me as I was massively into Elton John at that time, and the FX wind and tolling bells sounds over the dead bodies scene are from the start of the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album. So I was like OMG they're all dead.... hey a bit of Elt!